Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now, it looks as though Wright will be one-and-done with the Bucs. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 27, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »

Eric Wright’s Suspension Means His Days with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are Likely Over

November 26th, 2012 at 8:17 PM
By Wolf Heard

We knew it might be coming thanks to Jay Glazer's report several weeks ago, but Tampa Bay Buccaneers' cornerback Eric Wright has been hit with a four-game suspension for violating the league's performance enhancing drug policy by using Adderall without a prescription.

Head coach Greg Schiano confirmed Wright's suspension today and confirmed that he will be out for the next four weeks. Wright will be eligible to return for Tampa Bay's Week 17 finale against the Atlanta Falcons.

As a result of the suspension, Wright losses $1.7 million off of his $7.25 million base salary this season.

But that's not all.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is also reporting that Wright's $7.75 million guaranteed salary for next season is now null and void due to his suspension.

That means the Bucs can release Wright, who signed a five-year, $37 million contract this past offseason, after this season and not be on the hook for any more money.

And that's likely what will happen.

Look, the precedence has been set by Schiano. Kellen Winslow, Dez Briscoe, Brian Price, Tanard Jackson, and Aqib Talib all had off-field problems like Wright and they were shown the door.

Wright has been nothing but a headache since coming to Tampa Bay and he hasn't lived up to the huge contract at all.

And while Wright's absence will leave the Bucs extremely thin at the cornerback position, they aren't missing much.

The 27-year-old has just one interception, which was pick-six in Week 2 against the New York Giants, seven passes defensed, and 39 tackles. He has started 10 of 11 games this season and the Bucs still have the worst pass defense in the NFL.

When the Bucs signed Wright, they thought they had a guy they could plug into the starting lineup for the next five seasons.

Now, it looks as though Wright will be one-and-done with the Bucs.

http://www.buccaneers101.com/2012/11/26/eric-wrights-suspension-means-his-days-with-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-are-likely-over/

Wrights statement.......

Stephen Holder

about 9 hours ago

Suspended #Bucs CB Eric Wright's strongly-worded statement reacting to NFL's ruling against him:

"It was announced today by the NFL that I am being suspended for four games.

This is a result of taking Adderall at the end of July for health issues I was experiencing.

I am extremely disappointed that the suspension was upheld at my appeal.

"My agent and attorneys have only received the decision this afternoon, and they will be discussing it with me in the immediate future.

"I apologize to the Glazer family, General Manager Mark Dominik, Coach Schiano and the entire Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization, my teammates, our great fans, and my family who have stood by me through this entire process.

"I will continue to prepare myself and look forward to rejoining the team."

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 27, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »

Ms Elam

Starter

« #2 : November 27, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »

Yay!!! Its like the football gods did us a favor. Or did Dom a favor. He sat still and passed on Johnathan Joseph only to poverty pay a number 2 corner, possibly even a nickel back. I can think of about 15 teams off the top of my head in which Wright would be the nickel back. since he gave Wright 37mil, there's no way he could go out and pay a true number 1corner 50 mil(market value set by Finnegan, and Carr), so we would have had to hope we could draft a corner who could come in and immediately be the starter and number 1 guy. Now he can dabble.in free agency and draft a guy.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 27, 2012, 02:17:09 AM »

Dominik simply hands out huge contracts to mediocre/bad players.

I can't believe there were actually people out there trying to justify the Clayton, Black, Trueblood, and Wright signings. At no point did those contracts ever seem reasonable.

I really hope that Biggers doesn't get a big contract.
« : November 27, 2012, 02:19:06 AM lyronmewis »

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 27, 2012, 02:33:27 AM »

The thing is, that we got so much to build back there that some of these current guys are going to have to come back next year. Otherwise we are going to just replace them with more UFAs. Barber is going to retire soon, so that's yet another spot to fill. We only have so many draft picks.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #5 : November 27, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »

Love hearing that we can cut him with no penalties in the offseason due to this. Sorta gives MD a mulligan and he can go out and find somebody worthy in FA, if we dont already have someone on the roster. But either way we need corner help.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 27, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »

I can't believe there were actually people out there trying to justify the Clayton, Black, Trueblood, and Wright signings. At no point did those contracts ever seem reasonable.

Wow... you just scared the **CENSORED** out of me...

Clayton, Black, and Trueblood... all three got huge contracts for doing literally NOTHING...

You just planted a terrible idea in my mind... I am praying... PRAYING...we don't give Biggers a big contract for sucking like the above three.

Wow... what a terrible thought and the FO has a track record of doing this kind of thing. Ugh.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #7 : November 27, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »

Wright has a track record of misdeeds going back to college. Note to Dominik: no more thugs or delinquents. We can do better.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 27, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »

Wow... you just scared the **CENSORED** out of me...

Clayton, Black, and Trueblood... all three got huge contracts for doing literally NOTHING...

You just planted a terrible idea in my mind... I am praying... PRAYING...we don't give Biggers a big contract for sucking like the above three.

Wow... what a terrible thought and the FO has a track record of doing this kind of thing. Ugh.

Yup. I would just rather not even try to sign him. He hasn't been as bad this year as he has been in previous years, but he hasn't been picked on much either. He plays the ball poorly, so the potential for him to be abused is there, week in, week out.  It could be a rough week for our DBs. Here's hoping for strong winds and snowy conditions.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : November 27, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »

Take your hyperbaric chamber and...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 27, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »

Good news.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 27, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »

Wrights statement.......

"This is a result of taking Adderall at the end of July for health issues I was experiencing."

Is Adderrall available OTC?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #12 : November 27, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »

Anyone support Adam Schefter's report? This would be huge. I'll help the guy pack his bags. Good riddance. Wisen up MD! It's good to break the bank on proben guys heading into their prime, it's not good to overpay for someone who's put ZERO tape out there. This guys sucks, and his off the field decisions are even worse. Adios!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #13 : November 27, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »

I don't know why everyone is so mad at MD? Sure we gave him several million this year but until injuries hit he was playing nice football. Besides that building in a null and void into his contract was pure genious and allowed us to roll the dice on this guy with nothing really on the line, except this years salary. We cut him next year and no harm done. Great signing, he didn't play as we expected, made a bone headed move and voided his contract.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #14 : November 27, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »

I would think that every GM would or should write a clause into contracts that state drug use would void it.
Everyone is so mad at MD because Eric Wright is a no-name corner that hasn't been good anywhere he's played and we bring him in here and pay him like a legit #1 corner. He doesn't suck, maybe I was harsh, but he certainly was overpaid for his talent level. As other have pointed out, he would not be a #1 on any other team in the league, and on many he would only be a nickel corner.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now, it looks as though Wright will be one-and-done with the Bucs. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools