Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now, it looks as though Wright will be one-and-done with the Bucs. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 27, 2012, 08:47:16 AM

Everyone is so mad at MD because Eric Wright is a no-name corner that hasn't been good anywhere he's played and we bring him in here and pay him like a legit #1 corner.

we didnt pay him #1 money, not even close.  we did overpay, but that happens in the FA market.  and one must be naive to think it would have been easy to sign the top 3 FA's on the market.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 27, 2012, 08:57:53 AM

He won't be missed.

Ms Elam

Starter

#17 : November 27, 2012, 09:24:53 AM

I don't know why everyone is so mad at MD? Sure we gave him several million this year but until injuries hit he was playing nice football. Besides that building in a null and void into his contract was pure genious and allowed us to roll the dice on this guy with nothing really on the line, except this years salary. We cut him next year and no harm done. Great signing, he didn't play as we expected, made a bone headed move and voided his contract.
You're making it seem a if MD created clauses in contracts. Its actually the norm for any player signing a big contract that has a checkered past. There is nothing "genius" about that, its expected. I can guarantee the jaguars put a clause in Justin blackmons contract and I've never read that anywhere. Its just the way things work now days. It was a bad signing overall and Dom isn't getting any brownie points for putting a clause in a contract, because every team has contracts with clauses in them.

Ms Elam

Starter

#18 : November 27, 2012, 09:31:03 AM

Everyone is so mad at MD because Eric Wright is a no-name corner that hasn't been good anywhere he's played and we bring him in here and pay him like a legit #1 corner.

we didnt pay him #1 money, not even close.  we did overpay, but that happens in the FA market.  and one must be naive to think it would have been easy to sign the top 3 FA's on the market.
Last year a number 1 corner ran about 50 mil. Dom missed out a couple years ago on Johnathan Joseph. Just can't let it go, sorry. What's he make 8 mil a year? Now the bucs are playing young players who would be on any other teams practice squad and we still don't have a legit starting corner and can't afford to pay aguy like jj now.

Ironworker808

Second String

#19 : November 27, 2012, 09:42:23 AM

Wrights statement.......

"This is a result of taking Adderall at the end of July for health issues I was experiencing."

Is Adderrall available OTC?

No. Hell, you can't even get a refill.

It's a Schedule II controlled substance. Possession without a prescription is illegal. It's classified in the same category as Oxycodone and Morphine.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#20 : November 27, 2012, 09:48:56 AM

This comes with the FA territory.  You win some you lose some.  J. Joseph is much better due to the Texan fron 7.  A much better player than Wright, but looks even better because there are not holes throughout the D.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 27, 2012, 09:56:02 AM

Last year a number 1 corner ran about 50 mil. Dom missed out a couple years ago on Johnathan Joseph. Just can't let it go, sorry. What's he make 8 mil a year? Now the bucs are playing young players who would be on any other teams practice squad and we still don't have a legit starting corner and can't afford to pay aguy like jj now.

everyone wants to stake a claim for joseph now but that year it was nnamdi or bust.  joseph was a consolation prize at best.  and is he a product of that defense?  quite possibly.  not many were beating the drum for the guy IIRC.  hindsight is always 20/20.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 27, 2012, 02:47:09 PM

everyone wants to stake a claim for joseph now but that year it was nnamdi or bust.  joseph was a consolation prize at best.  and is he a product of that defense?  quite possibly.  not many were beating the drum for the guy IIRC.  hindsight is always 20/20.

Joseph was a shut down corner but was a huge injury risk when he hit FA.  Nobody ever doubted his skill

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 27, 2012, 02:55:47 PM

This is awesome news.

And brads is right J Joseph was considered an excellent player before signing with Houston.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#24 : November 27, 2012, 02:59:17 PM

My recollection of that period is more in line with GameTime's.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 27, 2012, 03:10:33 PM

Joseph was a shut down corner but was a huge injury risk when he hit FA.  Nobody ever doubted his skill

+1. Joseph was not looked at as being as good as Asomugha...but he sure as hell was considered a top flight CB.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Ms Elam

Starter

#26 : November 27, 2012, 03:52:46 PM

+1. Joseph was not looked at as being as good as Asomugha...but he sure as hell was considered a top flight CB.
I remember plenty of people saying Nnamdu was to expensive and to old for a young rebuilding team. I aint been posting that long, but across buc sites there were plenty of people saying Johnathan Joseph was a better fit. We had so many wholes on the team and so much money during the biggest free agency in history that we all thought e would sign 4 or 5 good players. Plenty wanted Nnamdi, but there was others in favor if a younger, cheaper JJ.

And I just want to say its sort of a contradiction to say "back then it was Nnamdi or bust" and then say Joseph was a "consolation prize". would you like 500,000 dollars? Sure, but I bet you would like 800,000 dollars a little more. What I'm saying is the fact that people did want Joseph, even if some may have wanted Nnamdi a little more. Its nit exactly hindsight when people actually wanted him in pewter and red.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 27, 2012, 03:57:14 PM

Joseph was totally looked at as a consolation prize.  But that's because Asomugha was considered the best CB in the league.  The former was still looked at as a guy who would be a quality starter.  And there were plenty of people here who advocated targetting him as a cheaper option, as I recall.  For the record, I was not one of them.  I was totally on the Asomugha bandwagon.  I'm not trying to make myself look better with the benefit of hindsight.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#28 : November 27, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

A search reveals four short threads on Joseph, dozens of threads on Asomugha.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 27, 2012, 04:05:26 PM

A lot of the posts I'm remembering are dissenting opinions in threads that are about Aso.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now, it looks as though Wright will be one-and-done with the Bucs. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools