Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 11/25/12 vs. Falcons: Analysis of the complete misuse of Gerald McCoy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#15 : November 27, 2012, 02:32:03 PM

Clairvoyance?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/gerald-mccoy-invokes-memories-of-gets-a-call-from-sapp/

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2012/sep/10/bucs-dt-mccoy-hears-from-sapp-after-opening-victor-ar-491120/

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 27, 2012, 02:33:56 PM

dejavu. They did this crap with GMC and the rest of the line earlier this season, Sapp called McCoy and told him to speak up to the coaches. He did, and the next Sunday our D Line was flying around like we've never seen. (I don't remember when this was, but it was early this season). It seems they have regressed back to the same stuff with stunts. Time for McCoy to speak up again.

Anyone else remember all this??

I remember it. The next week, the D really stepped up and successfully held a Manning to just a little over 500 yards.

Let's hope it's not Deja Vu.

IIRC, Sapp and McCoy had issues with the pass rush in the Giants game. McCoy and that DL were pretty good in week 1, then got too cute in week 2 against the G-men. McCoy said something and the DL played tremendous against the Boys.
: November 27, 2012, 02:56:00 PM chace1986

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 27, 2012, 02:35:23 PM

Then back to stunts again. Somebody is gonna lose their job over this and it wont be GMac or Schiano. Sheridan is on thin ice if the defense keeps giving up 300 yards passing a game.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#18 : November 27, 2012, 02:37:01 PM

They look like run stunts designed to limit the rushing lanes... I agree 100% with the analysis.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 27, 2012, 02:55:11 PM

They look like run stunts designed to limit the rushing lanes... I agree 100% with the analysis.

They did quite a few stunts in passing situations, ie. 3rd and long. I honestly believe that one of the goals of stunting McCoy is to make it harder for the OL to double him, but if you take away his greatest strength...then that defeats the purpose, IMO.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 27, 2012, 02:57:42 PM

You can't just rush upfield on every single play, otherwise the offense would take advantage of that. You need to give them different looks to keep them guessing.

The real problem isn't the fact that they're calling stunts or dropping them back into coverage. It's the fact that the defense as a whole is not executing the plays properly.

Obviously if you just rush the QB on every play without any consideration towards future playcalling, or stopping the run, you will end up with a bunch of sacks.

McCoy just has to do the most with his opportunities.

He's not a disappointing player though, he's been playing exactly the way that you would expect a top 5 pick at DT would in his 3rd year.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 27, 2012, 03:06:56 PM

You can't just rush upfield on every single play, otherwise the offense would take advantage of that. You need to give them different looks to keep them guessing.

The real problem isn't the fact that they're calling stunts or dropping them back into coverage. It's the fact that the defense as a whole is not executing the plays properly.

Obviously if you just rush the QB on every play without any consideration towards future playcalling, or stopping the run, you will end up with a bunch of sacks.

McCoy just has to do the most with his opportunities.

He's not a disappointing player though, he's been playing exactly the way that you would expect a top 5 pick at DT would in his 3rd year.

I totally agree about not giving the defense the same looks every play. The problem I have is that the player they stunt the most, is the one who probably benefits the least from it. Lets see more stunts with Bowers or Bennett..or even DTN. I'm all for moving them around and shuffling, but some of the stunts they run just makes things easier for the OL to block. They blitz themselves into a clusterf*ck, most of the time. Like I said, I would rather try to blow through a double team with his "get off" rather than stunt him outside and turn him into an edge rusher 7-8 times a game.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 27, 2012, 03:29:09 PM

Run all the stunts you want on 1st and 2nd down. But when it's 3rd and 3+, let the big dog eat. I remember watching the play when try rushed 2 and dropped GMC. I was speechless. You want to drop 9 into zone? Do that against a mediocre QB. When you do it again Matt Ryan and Drew Brees, they pick. you. apart.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 27, 2012, 03:40:09 PM

Run all the stunts you want on 1st and 2nd down. But when it's 3rd and 3+, let the big dog eat. I remember watching the play when try rushed 2 and dropped GMC. I was speechless. You want to drop 9 into zone? Do that against a mediocre QB. When you do it again Matt Ryan and Drew Brees, they pick. you. apart.

They sure do.

Funny thing, they had Ronde spying and covering Rodgers had he come out of the back field...which he did. Ryan pumped it over to Rodgers, and it seemed like half of the defense bit, leaving Gonzo in hole to get a 20+ yard gain. Dropping 9 into zone is preposterous. Especially when 2 of them have zero coverage ability.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 27, 2012, 03:43:36 PM

Ridiculous play-calling

acacius

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 27, 2012, 03:45:10 PM

Honest question: where there scheme changes when Clayborn went down?  I'm absolutely not going to sit here and pretend that I've been sitting and charting plays.  But subjectively speaking, it seems like McCoy produced splash-ier play when Clayborn was still playing.  One assumes a good bit of that is DTN demanding less attention from opposing offenses, but if someone wanted to tell me that Sheridan was playing games trying to make up for losing Clayborn, I'd have a pretty easy time believing it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : November 27, 2012, 04:24:31 PM

Excellent breakdown, Chace.  Forgot to mention that earlier.

Again, this is the type of stuff PR needs to do more of instead covering press conferences, etc.  All of the other media outlets do that mundane mess.  This would separate PR quite a bit from their competition.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#27 : November 27, 2012, 04:38:04 PM

Excellent breakdown, Chace.  Forgot to mention that earlier.

Again, this is the type of stuff PR needs to do more of instead covering press conferences, etc.  All of the other media outlets do that mundane mess.  This would separate PR quite a bit from their competition.
To be completely honest, I think this stuff is over the PR guys' heads.  I've never read anything from them that shows me that they have anything more than a media pass.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 27, 2012, 04:45:34 PM

+100000000000

Don't those guys get film and other things we can't access? I would LOVE to see the run blocking of last weeks game as an example. They owned us, big time.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#29 : November 27, 2012, 04:48:52 PM

" Here we see GMC going against another double team, not his best effort, but then again it's two against one. "
^
^
^
^
Huge effin fail. You want the guy to run less stunts, that means he's going to have to face these double teams straight on. You can't give him a pass on it.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 11/25/12 vs. Falcons: Analysis of the complete misuse of Gerald McCoy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools