Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn has second straight sub-par game, with five pressures given up « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 28, 2012, 02:31:02 PM

I've never been the biggest Penn fan, but it's going to take a top 20 pick to get a reasonable amount of confidence we can replace him and I'm just not sure I want to spend that right now unless some super prospect drops. I'm good with him another 2-3 years until he fully collapses.

Joseph can leave tomorrow, though.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 28, 2012, 02:33:16 PM

Agree. Penn isnt going anywhere. However, Id like to see some kind of effort to replace him. I mean Penn was UDFA so why does it have to be a top 20 pick? Our OL coach seems to know what hes doing. If he could help Meredith out, maybe he can coach somebody up. Just a thought. Its not impossible.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 28, 2012, 02:36:33 PM

In his defense, Charles Johnson and John Abraham are 2 of the best RDE's in the business and Penn is on an island in a vertical passing attack. He's fine.

Don't care. After watching him become worse than some of the newbies on the line, he can gthfo asap. Seriously, I would have him out of here the second I knew playoffs weren't an option, and that's only because of the depth issue. I've watched enough of the guy to know he's the MC80 of O linemen.

I'd rather have a offensive lineman that actually stop guys like abraham, like Penn is supposed to do, you know...since he's "probowl" caliber and all?

One thing is for sure, the guy(s) who was guarding McCoy, had a better day that Penn did.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 28, 2012, 03:01:37 PM

Agree. Penn isnt going anywhere. However, Id like to see some kind of effort to replace him. I mean Penn was UDFA so why does it have to be a top 20 pick? Our OL coach seems to know what hes doing. If he could help Meredith out, maybe he can coach somebody up. Just a thought. Its not impossible.
It's pretty widely acknowledged across the NFL the left tackle position has among the strongest correlations between high draft picks and successful players.

One thing is for sure, the guy(s) who was guarding McCoy, had a better day that Penn did.
Tyson Clabo certainly dominated Michael Bennett.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 28, 2012, 03:13:16 PM

It's pretty widely acknowledged across the NFL the left tackle position has among the strongest correlations between high draft picks and successful players.

No doubt. Just saying they should at least try. Penn cant be playing solid for half of the year and then stink the rest. They need to find anyway they can to push him.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 28, 2012, 03:25:43 PM

No doubt. Just saying they should at least try. Penn cant be playing solid for half of the year and then stink the rest. They need to find anyway they can to push him.
I don't disagree with the need to obtain high production at a more consistent rate than what you get from Penn, I just disagree with the need to "try" to replace him without your best investment. The numbers show non-1st round left tackles are sketchy propositions and left tackles from after the top 50 are almost nonexistent. If you're going to use a non-1st round pick to take a flyer on a player to repalce Penn, he better have some pretty good potential to play right tackle or guard or you just wasted a pick. We have enough wasted 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 28, 2012, 03:34:10 PM

In his defense, Charles Johnson and John Abraham are 2 of the best RDE's in the business and Penn is on an island in a vertical passing attack. He's fine.

Don't care. After watching him become worse than some of the newbies on the line, he can gthfo asap. Seriously, I would have him out of here the second I knew playoffs weren't an option, and that's only because of the depth issue. I've watched enough of the guy to know he's the MC80 of O linemen.

I'd rather have a offensive lineman that actually stop guys like abraham, like Penn is supposed to do, you know...since he's "probowl" caliber and all?

Hence my earlier post that Penn, Joseph, Trueblood & probably others are not in Bostads plan. Over the next 2/3 years, I think a total retooling will happen, which will only make Freeman, Martin, Jackson, Williams, etc, that much more formidable.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 28, 2012, 03:34:40 PM

Well if they are ok with Penn underperforming for half of the year. I dont see the harm in using a 3rd-4th rounder, only if you see potential that the guy could push Penn eventually. You obviously gotta coach him up as a 3rd-4th rounder or he would have gone higher. Just saying if you see that opportunity, you take it. Penn needs to be pushed. Even if its by some guy they picked in the mid rounds they needed to coach up. Penn needs to get his ass in gear and not get so comfortable in his position. Either that or Schiano needs to light a fire under his ass somehow. Hes not showing up lately.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 28, 2012, 03:43:34 PM

Next year, you could move Dotson back to LT and not miss a beat without Penn. Look, I may not have all the answers but Penn, Joseph & Trueblood do not seem like Bostad guys, let alone Schiano guys to me. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face but my question is, with Bostad clearly demonstrating he's a magician with no name guys, why invest any time and energy next year in guys that are going to be gone anyway. Just my thoughts. Honestly, if I were Dom, I would have a clearance sale for any picks I could get to get rid of Penn, Joseph, Black, Blount, etc. Even if you could get some lower round picks that are coachable for long term deepth and development, you are better off. We certainly do not miss Trueblood & Joseph, I reaally don't think we will miss Penn. Anybody remember the preseason when he came in overweight and they had to get his lard ass in shape. How long do you really think Bostad & Schiano are going to put up with that? Really!

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 28, 2012, 03:57:51 PM

Penn is fine. LT is really hard position. Heck there aren't many great LT's in the NFL and if they are those guys are taken pretty high. Yeah we might have overpaid Penn but at the time we were paying for potential upside. And 8 million a year for a LT that has played solid isn't THAT bad. Hell, Jeff Backus can earn up to $10 mil a year from the Lions and that guy has been underachieving for years. Right now, we have too many needs to address a LT upgrade. In a few years, by then Penn will be 32 - we can look to cut ties and move on. As for now, drafting a mid round tackle in the third round or so isn't a bad idea; assuming we take care of (CB's)

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 28, 2012, 03:58:33 PM

Next year, you could move Dotson back to LT and not miss a beat without Penn. Look, I may not have all the answers but Penn, Joseph & Trueblood do not seem like Bostad guys, let alone Schiano guys to me. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face but my question is, with Bostad clearly demonstrating he's a magician with no name guys, why invest any time and energy next year in guys that are going to be gone anyway. Just my thoughts. Honestly, if I were Dom, I would have a clearance sale for any picks I could get to get rid of Penn, Joseph, Black, Blount, etc. Even if you could get some lower round picks that are coachable for long term deepth and development, you are better off. We certainly do not miss Trueblood & Joseph, I reaally don't think we will miss Penn. Anybody remember the preseason when he came in overweight and they had to get his lard ass in shape. How long do you really think Bostad & Schiano are going to put up with that? Really!
Be careful projecting too much longevity to scrub offensive linemen. Remember what happened in 2010 with Pete Mangurian and James Lee, Derek Hardman, and Ted Larsen? It seemed good for a time but didn't last very long.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#26 : November 28, 2012, 04:02:19 PM

Yep, solid point but I'm bettting on Bostad. That guy, to me, is a magician and a key hire. My overall point is that some or most of these guys MAY not be Bostad guys and that we may see a whole lot of changes sooner or later.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 28, 2012, 04:29:16 PM

Next year, you could move Dotson back to LT and not miss a beat without Penn. Look, I may not have all the answers but Penn, Joseph & Trueblood do not seem like Bostad guys, let alone Schiano guys to me.

i think joseph and trueblood are bostad and schiano guys...i just dont think their talent level is up to par or equal to their contracts.  i do agree on the dotson idea.  at the very least he can push penn if we have a capable RT.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 28, 2012, 04:45:43 PM

None of that matters, all that matters is the "stat"?  By the way, what is a "pressure" and how is it different from a "hurry"?

:D

This is a play where PFF credits Justin Tuck with a "pressure"  Judge for yourself:

I guess if the QB steps up in the pocket it is a "pressure" even if he has time to throw.

Anyway someone I know can tell you how both of those "stats" are objective.  Even if PFF cannot:

"A pressure, as we define it, is any hit, hurry, or sack and youll only find the complete data here at PFF."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/22/sig-stats-snapshot-passing-under-pressure/
: November 28, 2012, 05:01:21 PM VinBucFan

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 28, 2012, 05:09:17 PM

Anyway someone I know can tell you how both of those "stats" are objective.  Even if PFF cannot:

"A pressure, as we define it, is any hit, hurry, or sack and youll only find the complete data here at PFF."

I wonder if that definition applies to every player objectively or if they apply that definition to different players subjectively?

I know a couple simpletons are still having trouble figuring that one out.  But that doesn't stop them from making themselves look like a complete fool at every possible turn.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn has second straight sub-par game, with five pressures given up « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools