Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you be upset if Buc players asked for autographs, after the Bronco game? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 28, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »

After Chiefs lost, Jamaal Charles got Peyton Manning’s autograph

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2012, 8:15 AM EST
 ProFootballTalk

Getty Images

On Sunday, Peyton Manning and the Broncos went to Kansas City and beat the Chiefs. As Manning left the stadium to head to the team bus, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles stopped him with a request: Could he have Manning’s autograph?

Manning complied, but Charles has taken some criticism for it, particularly on Kansas City television station KCTV-5, where the segment showing Charles getting Manning’s autograph ended with a commentator saying he thought it raised questions about whether the Chiefs cared that they lost.

As Charles walked away from a reporter asking about the incident, he appeared to mutter, “Man my mom wanted this autograph.”

Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe also approached Manning and got a picture with him, saying, “It’s Peyton Manning. Who wouldn’t want a picture with him?” When a reporter asked if he’d also like to catch passes from Manning, Bowe said, “That, too, but right now the best thing I have is a picture.”

The players on the Chiefs obviously have a lot of respect for Manning, as do players across the NFL. But is it acceptable for players to act like fans around an opponent who just beat them? We’ll let PFT Planet weigh in.

Are you OK with a player asking an opponent for an autograph after a loss?

Yes  85.64%  (14,290 votes)   

No  10.91%  (1,821 votes)   

No opinion  3.45%  (575 votes)   

Total Votes: 16,686

GayRobot

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Starter

« #1 : November 28, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »

Who the f cares? It's a game. I would do the same thing. During the game I would try and destroy him but afterwards it's all respect.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 28, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »

Who the f cares? It's a game. I would do the same thing. During the game I would try and destroy him but afterwards it's all respect.

I take it you didn't vote?

Btw, that's not respect, that's being a fan. Big difference. Respect is shaking the guys hand and telling him good luck, or great game, not omg, it's Manning! I want his auto! It's basically admitting you aren't on his same level. It's like if Donald trump asked for an autograph from Kraft. It's bowing down. No NFL player should get autographs from others unless it's for family or charity.

He just better be glad manning doesn't have Cam's agent, otherwise that auto would've cost an arm and a leg.  ;)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #3 : November 28, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

Some of these young players were fans of older players prior to joining the league. I really don't see what this is an issue.

cryptfiend

Starter

« #4 : November 28, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »

I take it you didn't vote?

Btw, that's not respect, that's being a fan. Big difference. Respect is shaking the guys hand and telling him good luck, or great game, not omg, it's Manning! I want his auto! It's basically admitting you aren't on his same level. It's like if Donald trump asked for an autograph from Kraft. It's bowing down. No NFL player should get autographs from others unless it's for family or charity.

He just better be glad manning doesn't have Cam's agent, otherwise that auto would've cost an arm and a leg.  ;)

youre right.  Its acknowledging that you had the priveledge to be on the field and to match up against a future hall of famer.  I don't see it so much as respect for the player, but respect for the game, and a admiration for a guy who has had unquestioned success in the game.

Now...if he did it before the game...thats a different story.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #5 : November 28, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »

If it was for Matt Ryan, there would be a lynch mob outside of OBP to assassinate the player.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

« #6 : November 28, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »

I don't see the issue.  I agree with the above, respect for the game.

Not only that, but it's memories and "man-cave" material.

I think the hardest part for me to relate is as a competitor I could never envision doing that after a loss.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : November 28, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »

Not a big deal.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #8 : November 28, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »

I have no issue with it. I probably wouldn't be too happy if a Buc was asking for Cam Newton's auto (and I understand KC/Den rivalry). But manning is a sure fire HOF, nice guy. And it's his first year with the Broncos. It's not like he was drafted in Denver and has been whooping them for years. Think any Buc would request an auto from sCam, Ryan, or even Bree's who is probably HOF? I doubt it. Too much bad blood.

I couldn't see any Buc doing this, but I doubt it would ever be a division rival.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

J-Train

Pro Bowler

« #9 : November 28, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »

If it was for Matt Ryan, there would be a lynch mob outside of OBP to assassinate the player.

I think the entire Bucs team really hates the Falcons. Just going by those locker room quotes after Sunday's game.

Thanks for the sig Java!

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 28, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

Would you ask Peyton for an auto? If so, why should a player not be allowed to? He is not allowed to be a fan, AFTER being a player? Does the normal fan care about the outcome of Peytons last game when asking him for an auto. Wouldn't Peyton be more 'pizzed' about after a loss?
In College it is actually quite rude to not ask back after having signed one. Nothing unusual at that level, some carry flags with hunderds of autos on. A few years later you got an autograph of a SB MVP, when he was still a freshman QB at Berkeley or a guy that now is a winless UFL QB.

But if the players just see the game next week as a chance to get an auto of peyton, we have an issue.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

« #11 : November 28, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »

I don't think there is anything wrong with it if any player does it. It would definitely be weird though if Ronde asked Peyton for an autograph, but if a rookie quarterback who grew up idolizing him did asked it would be much different.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #12 : November 28, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »

I can see why it would bother somebody but Id honestly not have a problem with it. Peyton is one of the all time greats.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
« #13 : November 28, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »

Absolutely NOT OK if it were players on my team, the Bucs, are asking for autographs from opposing players.  This is a fundamental change in the culture of the fandom of the NFL. The NFL and its fans are becoming less about teams and more about players. ie FANTASY FOOTBALL.  The NFL will come to regret pushing this crap, as it leads to the end of "die hard" fans of teams and changes the way the NFL is followed.  I think along with the "arena" ball type rules(pass int, all rules tilted in favor of offense), the "no hitting allowed" BY DEFENSE, and the "fantasy" aspect,  the NFL is goin down a  dark road.  The game, as it is today, will NOT remain as popular as it was made by fans of the 70' and 80's.  We turned this into the money-making machine it is today, and now Goodell and the owners are totally dismantling it.  Sorry....just hate what happening to such a great game!!!

Sim

Starter

« #14 : November 28, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

Nothing wrong with this at all.

Younger players in the league grew up watching and idolizing guys like Manning and Brady....nothing wrong with admitting that they aren't on the same level....it's Peyton freakin' Manning!

I think it's the ultimate show of respect for both the player and the game!
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you be upset if Buc players asked for autographs, after the Bronco game? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools