Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The silver lining of our CB carousel. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler
: November 28, 2012, 01:47:54 PM

Throw enough crap against the wall and some of it might stick.  We're getting a good look at some FAs that we might not have had otherwise.  Unfortunately, only one has really shown up and even then he might not be much more than a nickle corner (Leonard Johnson)... but at least between him and Gaitor we should be ok with our 3rd and 4th CB slots next year.

Maybe before the end of the year we'll have about 5 more CBs to try out....

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#1 : November 28, 2012, 01:53:04 PM

I think Lewis and Gorrer have done well considering their applicable draft position/experience.

I actually think Gorrer sticks, and plays quite well to close out the season.

However, the worst part of this all is we have a 3rd round pick that can't see the field.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 28, 2012, 02:04:09 PM

Yea, I agree. I think Gorrer and Lewis have done a solid job, given the circumstances. Leo Johnson is also a no brainer as our backup next year.

A guy that really suprised me last week (and I think he been coming on strong this season), even though he seems to be Bucs fans' punching bag, is EJ Biggers. The guy is playing fast and hard. He seems to have been so close to making critical splash plays most of the season and I think we got a glimpse of what he could be for this team moving forward when we played Atlanta. It wasn't just that sack-fumble either, go back and re-watch the game. Biggers was around the ball on every snap he played and brought a real physical presence to the corner position.

Not only do I think Schiano's style of coaching is utilizing Biggers' skill set, I think Schiano is has found out that Biggers is best suited at  the nickle corner position and I think EJ has a lot of potential there. Biggers seems to be a fast instinctive player, while Leo Johnson, who has much better coverage skills, seems to be much better suited at #1 or #2 corner. Assuming we get a true #1 and true #2 corner in the draft/free agency next year, I would say Johnson's place on this team in the future would be a backup corner, and a solid one too.

But who knows, the kid could start balling out for the rest of the season, get us in the playoffs, and we might only go after one really good corner next year, which would make me cream myself. 
: November 28, 2012, 02:16:52 PM TampaBucks05

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 28, 2012, 02:04:40 PM

I think we keep both Lewis and Gorrer. Of course Johnson will be around as well.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 28, 2012, 02:14:06 PM

Don't understand why they don't cut Myron so we can give somebody else a look.

pancake block

Starter

#5 : November 28, 2012, 03:59:33 PM

stanford routt cleared waivers and a vet minimum for kicking the tires wouldnt hurt....remember deangelo hall was cut loose after 8 games a few seasons ago.Routt aint perfect,but hes better than most of the bucs walkons

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 28, 2012, 06:28:25 PM

Stanford Routt is sorry, that's why the Raiders let him go AND the Cheifs cut his arse. Lmao.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 28, 2012, 10:30:34 PM

So if Stanford Routt does not have the skillset combination of Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey in their primes, we should ignore him? I really do not understand.....I thought we are trying to win enough games to get into the playoffs here.....wouldn't he give the Bucs a better chance to win than say Gorrer?

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 28, 2012, 10:51:04 PM

No one said he had to be a 1st ballot hall of famer. But there must be a reason two of the NFL's worst franchises did away with him. If Dom saw anything in the guy he woulda made a move by now.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 28, 2012, 11:15:23 PM

If Dom saw anything in the guy he woulda made a move by now.

Gorrer? Biggers? Myron Lewis?

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 28, 2012, 11:24:08 PM

Unproven(lets see what he has), Coming on Strong, & no Idea why he is still on the roster

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 28, 2012, 11:40:55 PM

Tampa is the 6th team that Gorrer has been with since 2009...Routt was drafted by Raiders and played there until this year when he was let go and signed with Chiefs.....bear in mind....I'm not saying Routt is THE ANSWER....I'm just saying he gives us a better chance to win short term while that ANSWER is either being developed or scouted. This is why I think the Bucs brass does not really have playoffs in their scope for 2012 because if they did, there'd be more urgency to shore up the CB and pass rush situations this year.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 29, 2012, 03:34:19 AM

Silver lining of the CB carousel is that it's not the QB carousel...

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 29, 2012, 05:18:16 AM

They haven't played too poorly to be honest. If they had more of a consistent pass rush, and there was a bit more solid tackling, the numbers would be completely different. In terms of pure coverage ability, I honestly think that this is the best CB play out of the Bucs I've seen in a while. They're just missing small aspects of the game which can maybe be taught in time. Biggers would be a legitimately good corner if he could make plays on the ball. He's always right there with the receiver,, and he's stronger now than in 2010, and doesn't get pushed around as easily. Johnson needs to be a more consistent run stopper to make him worth staying on the field. Next year when we draft a corner in the 1st or 2nd round, it will probably mean that Johnson is competing for the 3rd spot. I like what i see from him in terms of coverage ability, but a nickle really needs to be able to tackle well. I like what I see out of Lewis and Gorrer as pure coverage guys too. I would have to see more out of them to really gauge their tackling ability, but they could stick around as good #3 and #4 guys.

pancake block

Starter

#14 : November 29, 2012, 06:50:07 AM

I stand by my earlier statement. Im with BDFU on this,how can Routt be any worst than half these pedestrian stiffs we already have. Gee, a 6' 2" cover corner that can run like the wind and NOT punch a cab driver or shoot a sisters boyfriend? seems like a free gift to me....him and Babin, what'll it hurt?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The silver lining of our CB carousel. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools