Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The silver lining of our CB carousel. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#15 : November 29, 2012, 08:10:20 AM

Yea, I agree. I think Gorrer and Lewis have done a solid job, given the circumstances. Leo Johnson is also a no brainer as our backup next year.

A guy that really suprised me last week (and I think he been coming on strong this season), even though he seems to be Bucs fans' punching bag, is EJ Biggers. The guy is playing fast and hard. He seems to have been so close to making critical splash plays most of the season and I think we got a glimpse of what he could be for this team moving forward when we played Atlanta. It wasn't just that sack-fumble either, go back and re-watch the game. Biggers was around the ball on every snap he played and brought a real physical presence to the corner position.

Not only do I think Schiano's style of coaching is utilizing Biggers' skill set, I think Schiano is has found out that Biggers is best suited at  the nickle corner position and I think EJ has a lot of potential there. Biggers seems to be a fast instinctive player, while Leo Johnson, who has much better coverage skills, seems to be much better suited at #1 or #2 corner. Assuming we get a true #1 and true #2 corner in the draft/free agency next year, I would say Johnson's place on this team in the future would be a backup corner, and a solid one too.

But who knows, the kid could start balling out for the rest of the season, get us in the playoffs, and we might only go after one really good corner next year, which would make me cream myself.

After you praising E.J. Biggers I'd like to use you as a punching bag  :P

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 29, 2012, 02:44:32 PM

Yea, I agree. I think Gorrer and Lewis have done a solid job, given the circumstances. Leo Johnson is also a no brainer as our backup next year.

A guy that really suprised me last week (and I think he been coming on strong this season), even though he seems to be Bucs fans' punching bag, is EJ Biggers. The guy is playing fast and hard. He seems to have been so close to making critical splash plays most of the season and I think we got a glimpse of what he could be for this team moving forward when we played Atlanta. It wasn't just that sack-fumble either, go back and re-watch the game. Biggers was around the ball on every snap he played and brought a real physical presence to the corner position.

Not only do I think Schiano's style of coaching is utilizing Biggers' skill set, I think Schiano is has found out that Biggers is best suited at  the nickle corner position and I think EJ has a lot of potential there. Biggers seems to be a fast instinctive player, while Leo Johnson, who has much better coverage skills, seems to be much better suited at #1 or #2 corner. Assuming we get a true #1 and true #2 corner in the draft/free agency next year, I would say Johnson's place on this team in the future would be a backup corner, and a solid one too.

But who knows, the kid could start balling out for the rest of the season, get us in the playoffs, and we might only go after one really good corner next year, which would make me cream myself.

As sad as it is, he's been our best corner this year. Maybe it's just because the other guys are worse, that QBs are throwing in their direction more.

In 2010, the last time that Talib was good, Biggers got picked on a lot. It seemed like every big completion was his way.

I don't know if he's still the same player though.

gone

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 29, 2012, 03:53:28 PM

I stand by my earlier statement. Im with BDFU on this,how can Routt be any worst than half these pedestrian stiffs we already have. Gee, a 6' 2" cover corner that can run like the wind and NOT punch a cab driver or shoot a sisters boyfriend? seems like a free gift to me....him and Babin, what'll it hurt?

Babin's already a Jag...

#18 : November 29, 2012, 04:05:55 PM

Tampa is the 6th team that Gorrer has been with since 2009...Routt was drafted by Raiders and played there until this year when he was let go and signed with Chiefs.....bear in mind....I'm not saying Routt is THE ANSWER....I'm just saying he gives us a better chance to win short term while that ANSWER is either being developed or scouted. This is why I think the Bucs brass does not really have playoffs in their scope for 2012 because if they did, there'd be more urgency to shore up the CB and pass rush situations this year.
So if Stanford Routt does not have the skillset combination of Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey in their primes, we should ignore him? I really do not understand.....I thought we are trying to win enough games to get into the playoffs here.....wouldn't he give the Bucs a better chance to win than say Gorrer?

Exactly...don't understand some folks. Unless he looks to be a detriment to the locker room or just doesn't fit the mold of a 'Buccaneer man' there's no reason not to consider him.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#19 : November 29, 2012, 04:42:41 PM

As sad as it is, he's been our best corner this year. Maybe it's just because the other guys are worse, that QBs are throwing in their direction more.

In 2010, the last time that Talib was good, Biggers got picked on a lot. It seemed like every big completion was his way.

I don't know if he's still the same player though.

Come on dude be fair. Talib got torched a bunch of times. And why do you think they put a 7th round draft pick on opponents #1 WRs and not the potential HOFer? Simple answer, he would get smoked just like on deep pass plays now. All I am saying is to be fair.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#20 : November 29, 2012, 04:49:46 PM

True, people love to talk about Biggers but he has been stepping it up.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 29, 2012, 05:10:23 PM

He really has, sometimes players take a few years to progress. I'm sure the Bucs have been pleased with his growth.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 29, 2012, 06:16:11 PM

Biggers problem was never coverage....he'll always be with his guy but unfortunately that is only half the battle....he has always had poor ball skills....always looking at the receiver and never tracking the ball. I can't really give a great opinion on him this year because (as it has already been mentioned) he is no longer the runt of the litter....Tampa is where UDFA CBs submit their resumes because there's a good chance they'll be hired.

I get that the new regime wants their guys and thats cool....just don't blow an opportunity to make the playoffs in favor of holding 3rd-tier DB tryouts is what I'm saying.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The silver lining of our CB carousel. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools