Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Rays are watching. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#60 : November 29, 2012, 08:35:01 PM

And by the way, I hope the Rays are watching...........they will find out that in order to really compete you have to go out and get some of the highest paid free agents in baseball if they really want to get over the hump and stop shopping in the clearance isle!!!  Simple as that.

Except that it isn't 'as simple as that 'because they've competed for years.' I'm pretty sure the Rays know what they're doing.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#61 : November 29, 2012, 10:56:48 PM

However, I do believe that it will take fans more time, maybe two more years, to wash the bad taste over the firing of Chucky,

thing with that tho is the Glazers were buying up tickets,prior to his firing, for several years. The truly lower attendance has been on going issue for quite a long time.

no they weren't.  At best they bought up a small amount of tickets in Raheem's first year

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#62 : November 29, 2012, 10:59:53 PM

Different vibe in Jacksonville, Detroit, KC, Cleveland, Carolina, Tennessee  Philly and St. Louis all have sellouts this year. Only place with worse attendance is Miami.

KC was almost empty last weekend.  Carolina had many empty seats the week were there.   Jax has had their problems with attendance.   Detroit and Cleveland are whole different animals.  Philly fans were wearing bags on their heads on MNF yeah real supportive ....

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#63 : November 29, 2012, 11:04:26 PM

Well then.  If the "fanbase" as a collective is only going to buy tickets when they win, and only will buy it when they win, because it would be "stupid" to buy tickets if they aren't winning, then the entire Bucs fanbase is fairweather by definition and deserves ridicule.  However, I don't think things are that black and white.  And I will never consider it stupid to support your team whether they're winning or losing.

again, buying a ticket or not does not define a fairweather fan.   And we sold out every game in multiple years when we had a losing record (I believe 3 years under Gruden and the first under Morris I believe).

Morgan said that the collective fanbase thinks it's stupid to buy a ticket if the team hasn't won in a while.  That's fairweather.  There's no other definition.  I'm going solely based on that statement, and pointing out why either it's a completely ludicrous statement, or the Bucs fans are fairweather.

It's an accurate description but I would surmise many fairweather fans would give you a collective ' so what?"  Tickets have been, and still can be costly, why spend hard earned money on a team that is nowhere near contention?

no it isn't.   you can be a fan without sitting in the stadium.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#64 : November 30, 2012, 07:16:26 AM

And by the way, I hope the Rays are watching...........they will find out that in order to really compete you have to go out and get some of the highest paid free agents in baseball if they really want to get over the hump and stop shopping in the clearance isle!!!  Simple as that.

Except that it isn't 'as simple as that 'because they've competed for years.' I'm pretty sure the Rays know what they're doing.

I'm not sure they do. Last year was a great chance to make a run at something , and instead of going for it and making a trade for a couple bats , they just sat there. They have more starting pitchers than they can possibly utilize and yet they still do nothing.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#65 : November 30, 2012, 03:02:11 PM

Different vibe in Jacksonville, Detroit, KC, Cleveland, Carolina, Tennessee  Philly and St. Louis all have sellouts this year. Only place with worse attendance is Miami.

KC was almost empty last weekend.  Carolina had many empty seats the week were there.   Jax has had their problems with attendance.   Detroit and Cleveland are whole different animals.  Philly fans were wearing bags on their heads on MNF yeah real supportive ....

Jacksonville outsells the Bucs by 10K a game, and as you said, they've been rightly bashed by the country.  KC averages 70K a game. Carolina has the 6th best attendance in football.  Comparing the Bucs to those teams is embarrassing.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#66 : November 30, 2012, 03:31:58 PM

You and many others don't have a full comprehension of the situation. You should probably stop posting on the subject until you educate yourself. These team, particularly the Jaguars aren't selling out because fans are buying up the tickets. The ownership or corporate sponsors are buying the tickets to keep their games from being blacked out. You can't give credit to the fanbase for selling out games when it's the owners and companies buying up the tickets.
: November 30, 2012, 03:33:53 PM Morgan

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#67 : November 30, 2012, 04:03:23 PM

Believe me, I know a lot more than you think about the situation.  And ok, you're right, the Jaguars aren't selling out.  They're also the team that's most linked to moving because the fanbase doesn't support the team.  So I'm not quite understanding why you want to make that comparison.  But ok.  Tampa and Jacksonville have very similar fanbases.  You can win that point, though it really doesn't enhance your point.  I refuse to let a comparison to KC or Carolina stand either, because that is completely and utterly absurd, when they're two of the most supportive fanbases, not corporate, but fanbases, in the league.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#68 : November 30, 2012, 09:40:55 PM

What's embarassing and absurd is continuing to equating ticket sales to"support".  I don't care how many tickets are said to be sold if the stadium is 75% full on Sunday then that fan support is no better than ours.   What is also absurd is judging the fans half way through 1 decent season
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Rays are watching. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools