Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. economy growing faster than forecast « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 30, 2012, 05:19:06 PM

These numbers dont matter. The Republicans will just sandbag the economy again by letting us go over the fiscal cliff so they can try and blame Obama. Just like how they destroyed our credit rating last year.

Correct:

A growing number of Democrats say they are willing to let the country go off the fiscal cliff if a deal cannot be reached by Jan. 1 that raises taxes on the top two percent of earners while protecting costly entitlement programs.

Their theory in this game of chicken with Republicans is that it will be easier in January to lower taxes for 98 percent of the country while finding the best possible parts of the federal budget to cut in line with long-held goals of the nation's liberal party. They also think they'll be in a better position to save most, if not all, of massive entitlements like Medicare as well as pet projects.

Read more: http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/democrats-fiscal-cliff-murray/2012/11/26/id/465395#ixzz2Dj6CZGHm

So wouldn't this mean that Republicans are also willing to let the country go off the fiscal cliff if they cannot secure lower taxes for the remaining 2 percent? You can't play a game of chicken by yourself.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#16 : December 01, 2012, 01:37:26 PM

Biggest hospital in my area just fired 32 people.

Biggest mill just laid off 58.

Box stores are reducing hours so they can get out of paying for healthcare. They'll hire more part timers to make up for the hours lost and it'll be viewed as a win as the jobless rate will go down.

Can't you just feel the recovery?

If you're going to make working in box stores a career choice, you might have to have two part time jobs to earn a living.

Nothing wrong w/ that. The times change and you have to improvise - or educate yourself to a profession where you're not working in box stores or paper mills.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 02, 2012, 01:33:20 AM

Somebody has to work making those boxes.   There's nothing wrong with having that job.   What's the difference between that and working at GM putting a tire on a car?   Or working at Hostess making cupcakes?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 04, 2012, 06:13:24 PM

These numbers dont matter. The Republicans will just sandbag the economy again by letting us go over the fiscal cliff so they can try and blame Obama. Just like how they destroyed our credit rating last year.

Correct:

A growing number of Democrats say they are willing to let the country go off the fiscal cliff if a deal cannot be reached by Jan. 1 that raises taxes on the top two percent of earners while protecting costly entitlement programs.

Their theory in this game of chicken with Republicans is that it will be easier in January to lower taxes for 98 percent of the country while finding the best possible parts of the federal budget to cut in line with long-held goals of the nation's liberal party. They also think they'll be in a better position to save most, if not all, of massive entitlements like Medicare as well as pet projects.

Read more: http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/democrats-fiscal-cliff-murray/2012/11/26/id/465395#ixzz2Dj6CZGHm

So wouldn't this mean that Republicans are also willing to let the country go off the fiscal cliff if they cannot secure lower taxes for the remaining 2 percent? You can't play a game of chicken by yourself.

Raising the taxes on the remaining 2 percent will pay for a grand total o f 8 days of Govt operations. It is obvious therefore that this has zero to do with deficit reduction. I can only surmise therefore that Obama is willing for the country to go over the fiscal cliff because of spite.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 05, 2012, 03:03:04 PM

Correct:

Raising the taxes on the remaining 2 percent will pay for a grand total o f 8 days of Govt operations. It is obvious therefore that this has zero to do with deficit reduction. I can only surmise therefore that Obama is willing for the country to go over the fiscal cliff because of spite.

What will raising taxes on 100% of the population do to the economy? Because that's the alternative Republicans are willing to risk in order to save that 2%. In other words, give us our tax cuts for the rich or we will make the middle class pay more and cripple the economy. No spite there, huh?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 05, 2012, 03:08:03 PM

It's about priorities. The argument is about 2% of the population's tax rate. Supposedly, R's and D's agree that rates for the remaining 98% should stay low. So why not just pass the 98% that they agree on and haggle over the 2% later? Because the R's want to hold the 98% hostage in order to ensure low rates for the 2%. Spin it however you want, but that's essentially the gist of it.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 05, 2012, 04:00:01 PM

It's about priorities. The argument is about 2% of the population's tax rate. Supposedly, R's and D's agree that rates for the remaining 98% should stay low. So why not just pass the 98% that they agree on and haggle over the 2% later? Because the R's want to hold the 98% hostage in order to ensure low rates for the 2%. Spin it however you want, but that's essentially the gist of it.

The President is willing to increase taxes on 100% of Americans and tank the economy just so he screw the "rich." He is not willing to listen to any alternatives and has presented no plan to address the deficit. It is obvious it is not about raising additional revenue because plans have been put forward to do that and they have been immediately dismissed. So is he vindictive, stupid or heartless?
: December 05, 2012, 04:02:14 PM spartan

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 05, 2012, 08:41:50 PM

I know, I know but...

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 06, 2012, 10:50:01 AM

Somebody has to work making those boxes.   There's nothing wrong with having that job.   What's the difference between that and working at GM putting a tire on a car?   Or working at Hostess making cupcakes?

Well the box store and GM are still up and running, Hostess isn't and all the cupcake makers are now unemployed

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 06, 2012, 11:11:29 AM

Is GM still up and running? Looks to me like the union killed them even before they squeezed the Twinkie dry.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 06, 2012, 11:57:05 AM

Yes "Government Motors" is still up and running.

Why I don't get is why didn't the Govt. bailout Hostess? A Twinkie has a far longer shelf life than most GM cars

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 07, 2012, 09:27:15 AM

Suppose you want to buy a car. You want them to throw in a free sunroof, pinstriping, the fancy wheels, undercoating and two free annual services. The dealer says that they can agree with you on 98% of what you want but the two free services they just can't agree to now. Now would you buy that car hoping to haggle over the two free services later or would you just hold out with your leverage of buying the car hanging over the dealers head? Which is the better option? 

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 07, 2012, 10:17:57 AM

If you enter a negotiation w/o asking for a lot more than 2% of what you actually want....then I would recommend a third option.

Learn how to negotiate.
: December 07, 2012, 10:19:30 AM Durango 95

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 07, 2012, 10:25:17 AM

If you enter a negotiation w/o asking for a lot more than 2% of what you actually want....then I would recommend a third option.

Learn how to negotiate.
+1

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 07, 2012, 11:28:37 AM

Learn how to negotiate.

Depends on who and what you are negotiating for. If you are in Tijuana and bartering for baskets this tactic always works but not so much when other competitors were involved in the process. 

I learned the hard way earlier in my career when negotiating for new restaurant locations that an unreasonable offer could lose you the entire deal at worse or just lengthened th time of the negotions at best. I then decided to do my homework, find out exactly how far a company would and could go through talking to other tenants and past leases then putting an offer on the table that we could both live with. It saved time, won me more properties that others lost out on with unreasonable offers that they thought they could negotiate on and made for a good relationship from the get go.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. economy growing faster than forecast « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools