Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs struggle to get sacks « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 01, 2012, 11:52:59 PM

Bucs struggle to get sacks

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Sunday, December 2, 2012

TAMPA

Bucs DT Gerald McCoy got off to a hot start as a pass rusher, registering three sacks over his first three games this season.

But in the eight games since? Zilch.

The season-ending knee injury to DE Adrian Clayborn has allowed opponents to slide protection McCoy's way. Although disruptive of the quarterback at times, the Bucs rank 28th in the NFL with only 18 sacks, seven from DE Michael Bennett. A year ago, Tampa Bay finished last in the league with 23.

"There's never just one thing. If there was, you'd get it fixed and there wouldn't be a problem," coach Greg Schiano said of the Bucs' pass rush. "One time, a guy makes an assignment error. Or there could be a technique error. He has him beat and doesn't finish the rush.

"Another time, it may be a different scenario where he didn't have the rush where he can go from speed to power and he didn't. So there are so many different things. It's not just, 'There's the quarterback and go get him.' "

Pressuring the quarterback won't get any easier for the Bucs today against the Broncos' Peyton Manning, an offensive savant who throws with such great anticipation that he is hard to get to the ground. Manning has been sacked just 16 times this season, the same as the Bucs' Josh Freeman. But Manning has thrown 60 more passes.

"We just do what we're coached," McCoy said. "We've got to start owning plays that are called more. We can't always look for a different call. Whatever they call is what we have to play. Last week (against the Falcons), I don't think we played as fast as we have in the past or as physical. That's going to be highly necessary (today)."

What does, "Whatever they call is what we have to play," mean?

At times this season, McCoy has asked defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan to cut down on the number of stunts and twists they run on the line.

"I think sometimes if you're not having the success that you planned on or you're playing for, you tend to look for reasons why," Sheridan said. "We are, too. We brainstorm all the time trying to find new ways to rush and put together pressure. I think he's referring to that.

"The thing nowadays is people aren't going to sit back and take a seven-step drop and wait for the ball to be thrown all the way down the field. They're getting rid of the ball, and the guy we're playing is as good as anybody. (Manning) is not going to sit in there and dare you to pressure him. He's always going to have a route to get the ball out."

ALTITUDE OR ATTITUDE?

Any team that plays at the Broncos has to deal with the thin air of Denver, which is more than 5,000 feet above sea level. Fatigue and dehydration can be issues.

But Schiano says because his team is going to spend only about a day in Denver, it should not be a factor.

"The facts are actually favorable," Schiano said. "We get in, and we get out, and you're fine. As long as you hydrate, you're fine. Now if you're going to spend an extended period of time there and your body gets acclimated and there's a whole medical thing that occurs, it's a different story.

"Our humidity (in Tampa) was 55 percent. Out there, it will be like 25 percent. That's a big difference."

Rick Stroud can be reached at stroud@tampabay.com.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 02, 2012, 12:10:37 AM

Stunts and twists need to be thrown out for this game.

Go get manning!

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#2 : December 02, 2012, 06:41:12 AM

Agree with BW. Hell throw em out completely and just let the guys loose.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 02, 2012, 08:35:00 AM

What's with all these stories coming out saying the Bucs get no pass rush ?? Don't they know Biggs has been counting "hurries" on PFF and has declared the pass rush as satisfactory ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 02, 2012, 09:13:58 AM

The stunts and twists have helped the Bucs generate pass rush (Both of Teo's sacks have come on a great stunt)  McCoy is using it as a crutch as to why his play has slumped. He wasn't saying crap when he had three sacks early in the season.

Shut up an play the defense, Gerald.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 02, 2012, 09:17:17 AM

What's with all these stories coming out saying the Bucs get no pass rush ?? Don't they know Biggs has been counting "hurries" on PFF and has declared the pass rush as satisfactory ?

If you weren't such a simpleton, you would have seen my multiple posts saying there was no pass rush vs. Atlanta.

Thanks for traveling with the Butt Hurt Express.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 02, 2012, 01:08:13 PM

If you weren't such a simpleton, you would have seen my multiple posts saying you were right.

Fixed it for ya ! ...and your surrender is noted.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 02, 2012, 01:16:27 PM

Im pro-bounty for this game

Manning needs to get pummled

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 02, 2012, 01:51:08 PM

I don't understand.  Can you get out the crayons and construction paper again?

I don't have time for that, simpy.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 02, 2012, 02:14:30 PM

The stunts and twists have helped the Bucs generate pass rush (Both of Teo's sacks have come on a great stunt)  McCoy is using it as a crutch as to why his play has slumped. He wasn't saying crap when he had three sacks early in the season.

been watching as McCoy is assigned to start to the left of center and circle the RDE - if that is the plan - it sucks.  right up with the two man rush.  the bucs aren't playing Vinny Testaverde and the Hurricanes... just my .02...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 02, 2012, 03:00:31 PM

Amen. Great post.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 03, 2012, 06:41:51 PM

Bump.

This topic is why they didn't beat manning. Did they even touch him once?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 03, 2012, 06:54:45 PM

Bump.

This topic is why they didn't beat manning. Did they even touch him once?

Chace and Biggs will be here shortly with a myriad of excuses for why Girly Man didn't touch him , have no fear.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 03, 2012, 06:58:03 PM

Sorry, but McCoy is not stepping up.  Roy Miller is invisible.  I can't even name their backups and I follow the team.  No surprises here.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs struggle to get sacks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools