Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pass Interference, the most ticky-tack call used against us every week « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 02, 2012, 08:38:36 PM

It is most certainly a coaching issue.  If you ran down a field 100 times covering a receiver and still don't get it right it is a safe bet the message isn't being conveyed correctly.  We are talking about turning the head around to look for the ball.  The worst that could happen is at least you look like a real CB as they score a touchdown.

I could run you down the field a million times with Vince Lombardi as your coach and you still aren't covering Julio Jones.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 02, 2012, 08:42:00 PM

Yes, but I would turn my head on at least the tenth try if someone taught me properly.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 02, 2012, 08:48:37 PM

Yes, but I would turn my head on at least the tenth try if someone taught me properly.

I've seen our guys turn thier heads many times. Doesn't seem to make much difference when you've already been burnt.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 02, 2012, 08:49:01 PM

so bayfisher - do you believe that ron cooper is a poor coach?  he was regarded as a great hire.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 02, 2012, 08:49:27 PM

If one doesn't have the physical skills to compete no one cares how they turn their head - or cough for that matter...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 02, 2012, 08:54:56 PM

I'm saying that the young guys have done it enough to where they should at least be somewhat effective at this point.  The fact that they aren't has to be placed on the coaching or the player's ability to do what they're told.  If it is the latter they should sit until they can do it right.  That would come down to coaching also. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 02, 2012, 08:59:36 PM

I'm saying that the young guys have done it enough to where they should at least be somewhat effective at this point.  The fact that they aren't has to be placed on the coaching or the player's ability to do what they're told.  If it is the latter they should sit until they can do it right.  That would come down to coaching also.

so it could be the players ability?  no matter how great a coach is...its difficult to stop manning throwing to a physical WR in thomas...especially considering the inexperience of our CB's.  you might believe that leonard johnson is a seasoned vet since he has 4 games under his belt, but im wililng to bet the game is still moving pretty fast for him.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 02, 2012, 09:01:11 PM

I remember seeing Barron run directly at receivers that were looking away from the endzone waiting for the ball and still not turn his head.  It is clear that the receiver wasn't going backwards and he got PI a few times this way.  I still don't think he knows the correct way to do it. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 02, 2012, 09:24:50 PM

they probably play cards during position drills.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 02, 2012, 09:37:39 PM

These CBs are terrible, but terrible or not, someone needs to teach these guys to turn their heads around when the ball is in the air.

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 02, 2012, 09:40:04 PM

I agree with this being a potential coaching issue.  It doesn't mater if he was "regarded as a great hire" or not -- his unit is playing horrifically.  You see the players making the same mistakes multiple times.  You see different players making the same mistakes.  You've got a top ten pick making the same mistakes as the undrafted and late round guys, that indicates it's not a talent issue.  I think back to when we had the safety whisperer back there (forget his name, 2006-7 ish?) and how horrible our secondary was that year and how much of an impact it made when we got Raheem back to coach DBs.  Our secondary is just awful to a point where a mere talent deficit doesn't explain it to me.  It may be Cooper, it may be Sheridan, but somewhere along the line these guys aren't honing their craft to the extent they should.  The PI calls have been very nit picky, but the consistency they are coming up at shows we're doing something wrong -- as others have pointed out, not turning your head around is a basic mistake and it needs to be drilled into their heads.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

#26 : December 02, 2012, 09:45:06 PM

Its not a coaching issue, what do you expect from a 7th rounder and a rookie undrafted free agent.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 02, 2012, 09:58:11 PM

IMO, you're being too harsh.  BOTH of our starting CBs at the start of the year are gone, one not even on the team any longer, the other suspended for 4 games and playing the entire season with injuries.  Not only are we playing undrafted players, but some of them weren't even on this team until recently.  Several are rookies on top of that. Lewis was obtained after the year began, and so was Gorerr (sp?).  Lewis actually played for the Cowboys when we played them in the 3rd or 4th game of the year.

I think the secondary played better today, just not good enough.  However, how many all-star secondaries play well against Peyton Manning?  We DID hold him to 242 yards when we have been giving up an average of 312 this season.  No question that we have a long way to go, but many of these guys just started their journey.

.....just my opinion

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 02, 2012, 10:22:27 PM

not turning your head around is a basic mistake and it needs to be drilled into their heads.

do you think that the coaches are not teaching this?  after the giants game, i questioned how talib/mcdonald seemed to turn to the sideline to find the ball rather than the field...possibly guessing the backshoulder fade. 

but the guys we have now?  undrafted rookies...learning the NFL, learning complex defensives, learning new techniques - all while competing against 1st round picks.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 02, 2012, 10:33:58 PM

E.J. Biggers can turn his head around like the girl in the Exorcist and it still isn't going to help him cover anyone. He freaking blows.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pass Interference, the most ticky-tack call used against us every week « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools