Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the refs at post kneel-down play? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#105 : December 03, 2012, 03:58:17 PM

If this big ass 300 lb. behemoth is feeling a little vulnerable, maybe he could ask his two 300 lb. friends standing to his left, or his other two 300lb. friends standing to his right to help him out a little

Did you even look at this video?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#106 : December 03, 2012, 03:59:44 PM

Wap2. No pics, no vids.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

gone

Hall of Famer
#107 : December 03, 2012, 04:01:55 PM

Automatic clock stoppage after a play that results in a loss of yards seems brilliant and simple to me. Is there some drawback I am not thinking of?

QB gets sacked in a 2 minute drill?  Huge gift to an offense.

Not like he's gonna take the sack on purpose to stop the clock....so it's not being abused. It would be a nice change for offenses though in that situation.

Not only would it eliminate the kneel down, but a team trying to run out the clock would have to actually run the ball for positive yardage to do so. I think it sounds great. You wanna run the clock out? Earn that sh!t.

You really miss the point here.  It wouldn't be a "nice change" It would completely change how both teams play at the end of a game.  If sacking a QB stops the clock, a defense would have to NOT rush the QB.  If stopping a RB in the backfield stops the clock, how do you deal with a reverse late in the game?

You would basically require a defense to give up yardage on every play late in a game. 

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#108 : December 03, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

So if you knock them back 5 yards on first down, another 5 on second down, and another 5 on third, this is all bad somehow?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#109 : December 03, 2012, 04:07:47 PM

Automatic clock stoppage after a play that results in a loss of yards seems brilliant and simple to me. Is there some drawback I am not thinking of?

Not like he's gonna take the sack on purpose to stop the clock....so it's not being abused. It would be a nice change for offenses though in that situation.

Not only would it eliminate the kneel down, but a team trying to run out the clock would have to actually run the ball for positive yardage to do so. I think it sounds great. You wanna run the clock out? Earn that sh!t.

You really miss the point here.  It wouldn't be a "nice change" It would completely change how both teams play at the end of a game.  If sacking a QB stops the clock, a defense would have to NOT rush the QB.  If stopping a RB in the backfield stops the clock, how do you deal with a reverse late in the game?

You would basically require a defense to give up yardage on every play late in a game.

Well you would obviously have to be smart about it. I think with us its only ok to do the play if were in position to win if we get the ball back. Havent seen Schiano do it when thats not the case. So if there were a rule change you would make it so the game needs to be close enough to do it. If its not then the old rule is in place. Pretty simple way to fix it all honestly.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#110 : December 03, 2012, 04:10:50 PM

So your idea is to change the rules of the game based on the score?  There is no way that is ever going to happen.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#111 : December 03, 2012, 04:12:05 PM

So your idea is to change the rules of the game based on the score?  There is no way that is ever going to happen.

Well have the rule in place so that this is the way the game works. If the game is close enough and the offense (leading) has the ball then you gotta get positive yards or it will stop the clock. If its not close then the victory formation works. Easy as pie.
: December 03, 2012, 04:17:12 PM BucBalla85

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#112 : December 03, 2012, 04:13:31 PM

They aren't going to change the rules based on the score though.  It's one thing to change the rules regarding Out of Bounds depending on how much time is left on the clock, but they're not going to say "this is the new rule, but it's only the new rule if the team that has the ball is up by 8 or less".  It's an intriguing solution, but a completely impractical one. 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#113 : December 03, 2012, 04:14:18 PM

I don't see any problem at all with the following.   It would improve the game.

It should only be within 2 minutes of the end of the game, and only apply to the team that is leading.   If the team with the ball is losing or the game is tied, the clock does not stop.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#114 : December 03, 2012, 04:17:58 PM

And if other teams are going to start cheap shotting us, which is clear that they are since they did yesterday, the question is, is it worth it for a low percentage play.

And the refs are allowing the other team to cheap shot the Bucs since they have zero respect for Schiano and his bush league college crap.

So, and now tell me who failed at his job and on top of this is doing bush league crap risking injuries on football players.

Seriously, attacking the kneel down is dangerous, so Schiano is a 'jerk', but if the NFL bans the kneel down, and by this forcing teams to run more 'meaningless' plays it is all of a sudden not dangerous anymore,  a brilliant idea?
The last thing Schiano wants on this play is a penalty, hitting the center BEFORE the snap is encroachment, wastes 1 play, 40 seconds, in which his team can NOT recover the ball, even if the C/QB mishandled the snap. How can this be Schianos goal on that play?

If you fear cheap shots by opposing players, you also have to stop diving for fumbles, you might get poked in the eye in the pile, pass rushers better not touch the QB, a OLer might cheap shot you for, even if you played wihtin the rules. The 15y penalty does not make up for a player heading for IR, right?

We have rules, the NFL is able to adjust them to prevent injuries, refs just have to enforce 'em, players and coach have just to follow. If hitting the C with 3 guys is dangerous, the NFL should ban it. If OLer dive for the knees on those plays, just trying to hrurt other, bann it. If attackign the kneel down in general is too dangerous, ban it. Hitting other players etc is already banned, refs just need to enforce the rules here, if they do not,, maybe even root for loose teeths, fire 'em. Pretty simple.

How people think they can make their own rules is beyond me. This is not how our society works. But yes, if you think 'gay' is evil f/e, you can easily justify murder. Why not get back to anarchy?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#115 : December 03, 2012, 04:19:41 PM

They aren't going to change the rules based on the score though.  It's one thing to change the rules regarding Out of Bounds depending on how much time is left on the clock, but they're not going to say "this is the new rule, but it's only the new rule if the team that has the ball is up by 8 or less".  It's an intriguing solution, but a completely impractical one.

I dont think they would ever do it either but I think its a easy thing they could do that would make things pretty interesting in close games. This football fan would certainly enjoy seeing it. This doesnt have to be complicated but they would make it complicated. Way this world seems to be sometimes. 

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#116 : December 03, 2012, 04:20:15 PM

I don't deny it'd make the game more interesting, but it's not feasible that the rules committee would have the rules completely change based on what the score of the game is.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#117 : December 03, 2012, 04:30:10 PM

I don't deny it'd make the game more interesting, but it's not feasible that the rules committee would have the rules completely change based on what the score of the game is.

So make it according to the time on the clock . After the 2 minute warning a play resulting in a loss stops the clock.

Rewards the defense if they happen get a TFL at the end , and prevents the offense from running plays that have no intention of advancing the ball.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#118 : December 03, 2012, 04:33:26 PM

The only issue I can think of is if you have a lead in a close game and are on defense, you don't want the clock stopped if you tackle the back for a loss or cause a sack, you want that clock running so they have to hurry to the line while rattled.
They could say you have to at least attempt to gain yardage on EVERY play or it is "proof" that you have no interest in having the ball and it results in an automatic turnover at the spot of the foul.

They need to get rid of spiking the ball too, that's grounding and should result in loss of yardage. If you don't bother getting out of bounds to stop the clock it's your own fault.

Hard counts, if the D isn't allowed to try and fool the offense into jumping why should it be allowed the other way? Things should be played on an even field.

Cryin' for a flag should also draw a flag.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#119 : December 03, 2012, 04:37:56 PM

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

1. On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)

2. A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. ...

3. If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.

4. Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the refs at post kneel-down play? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools