Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Condition is critical at cornerback « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 02, 2012, 12:17:48 AM

Bucs Beat: Condition is critical at cornerback

FILE, CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF
The suspension of Eric Wright leaves the Bucs dangerously thin at cornerback.

By ROY CUMMINGS| The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 02, 2012

DENVER, Colo. --

Tucked away inside his desk at One Buc Place, Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik has a journal in which he has scribbled dozens of franchise-building tips picked up through nearly 20 years as an NFL scout and executive.

One of those tips, shared with him by a rival executive and one former Bucs coach Tony Dungy suggests it's good practice to supplement your defensive backfield each year by spending at least one draft pick on a cornerback.

Dominik didn't completely ignore that advice during the 2012 draft, but he didn't necessarily follow it, either, spending only a sixth-round selection on cornerback Keith Tandy, who was quickly moved to safety.

Coupled with the subsequent trade of Aqib Talib and suspension of Eric Wright, Dominik's decision has left the Bucs dangerously thin at what is easily one of the most difficult positions to fill. It's no wonder, then, with the 2013 draft still five months away, every draftnik- from the so-called experts to bloggers have the Bucs spending their 2013 first-round pick on a cornerback.

At least one has the Bucs taking Alabama corner Dee Milliner, the top-rated corner on most draft boards. Another has them taking Florida State corner Xavier Rhodes. Still another has them taking Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks in the first round and University of Washington corner Desmond Trufant in the second.

The predictions are similar to a year ago, when everyone from Mel Kiper to Mel Brooks had the Bucs taking LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne in the first round. Some even had them taking a corner in the second round.

Dominik fooled them all. He traded down, passing on Claiborne, and opted for Alabama safety Mark Barron. The Bucs needed help at safety as much as at corner, and Barron looks like a keeper.

But Dominik never accounted for passing on Claiborne. Maybe he didn't think he had to. He had Talib, who was showing signs at the time of buying into new coach Greg Schiano's program, and had brought in Wright through free agency.

But now Talib is gone and Wright might be on his way out. Reports indicate his four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances he acknowledged taking Adderall and losing an appeal triggered a clause in his contract that nullifies the guaranteed 2013 salary of $7.75 million.

If the Bucs don't have to pay Wright, they might opt not to pay him at all.

Amid talk the team overpaid for Wright in free agency, the question the Bucs have to ask is whether they can afford to not pay him. Though inconsistent, he still might be the best corner on the roster. At the very least, he is the most experienced.

Others are gaining on him, though. And fast. The losses of Talib and Wright forced the Bucs to test their paper-thin depth at cornerback. So, at a critical juncture in their development, the Bucs are finding out whether E.J. Biggers and Myron Lewis can play in this league and whether Leonard Johnson, LeQuan Lewis and Danny Gorrer have a future.

If you're really wondering why veteran Ronde Barber hasn't been moved from safety back to corner, there's your answer. The Bucs need to find out right now what they have at corner, because that is not their only area of need.

Come draft day 2013, they'll also be looking for offensive linemen, an upgrade on their tight end of the future and more depth at linebacker. No matter the needs, though, they'd be well advised to grab a cornerback or two.

Chances are they're going to need them.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 02, 2012, 12:20:19 AM

Shhhhhhhhhh!

(Don't let manning know!)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 02, 2012, 12:30:31 AM

Something I will be interested to see is what happens with Wright after his suspension if the Bucs are in playoff contention and if they get in. Wright has been a disappointment on the field, but maybe 4 weeks to recover from injury and one last opportunity to convince the Bucs not to void his contract next year could elevate his play. I think the Bucs D may actually show some improvement these last few weeks, including the secondary,

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 02, 2012, 01:47:35 AM

Something I will be interested to see is what happens with Wright after his suspension if the Bucs are in playoff contention and if they get in. Wright has been a disappointment on the field, but maybe 4 weeks to recover from injury and one last opportunity to convince the Bucs not to void his contract next year could elevate his play. I think the Bucs D may actually show some improvement these last few weeks, including the secondary,

IIRC he would only be eligible for the last game of the season.  So, I don't know if they activate him.  If they don't, I think we could take that as a clear sign its adios baby !

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#4 : December 02, 2012, 03:46:43 PM

I don't think the Bucs are as soft at CB as they are at SS.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 03, 2012, 06:38:40 PM

I don't think the Bucs are as soft at CB as they are at SS.

They're all soft right now doofus.

Some undrafted nobodies, an "old guy", and one newbie Safety does not spell s-u-p-e-r-b-o-w-l.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 03, 2012, 06:42:57 PM

I saw Schianno outside One Buc place waaving cars down, looking for DB's

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 03, 2012, 06:45:25 PM

You know along that line, I never understood why the NFL never bought the Arena Football League and made those teams their taxi/pa/developmental squad. Makes too much sense I guess.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 03, 2012, 09:56:05 PM

I saw Schianno outside One Buc place waaving cars down, looking for DB's
This would not be a surprise - unfortunately

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#9 : December 03, 2012, 11:02:11 PM

Bucs might as well have a "help wanted" sign for our weak CB depth. It's getting harder to watch but if we make the playoffs it won't matter.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#10 : December 04, 2012, 01:41:51 AM

I have to say that I think the makeshift corners have done a pretty good job considering they are basically not NFL caliber talent.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 04, 2012, 03:01:53 AM

Getting rid of talib was still worth it IMO.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#12 : December 04, 2012, 12:11:55 PM

Myron Lewis still continues collecting a check and not being considered an option. How is this possible? Why is he here?

TheQ

Starter

#13 : December 04, 2012, 02:19:40 PM

IMO, Lewis is still here because of his draft status, same with Benn.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Condition is critical at cornerback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools