Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman felt the pressure « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 04, 2012, 12:50:42 AM

Bucs' Freeman felt the pressure

By IRA KAUFMAN| The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 03, 2012

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman was sacked only once Sunday, but he was under constant heat by the Denver defense during the second half of Tampa Bay's 31-23 loss.

DENVER --

The hits kept on coming for Josh Freeman on Sunday as Denver's fearsome pass rush lived up to its billing.

The Broncos started the day with an NFL-high 37 sacks, and although Freeman was sacked only once, he found himself under constant pressure in the final two quarters of a 31-23 setback.

"I thought early on we did a better job than later,'' coach Greg Schiano said of Tampa Bay's protection racket. "They made a couple of plays that certainly hurt us for sure.''

For the third consecutive week, Tampa Bay's makeshift offensive line struggled to keep Freeman upright as the absence of Pro Bowl guards Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph became more evident.

Freeman avoided several sacks by evading pass rushers long enough to buy time and throw the ball away.

"He's not a scrambler, but Freeman's mobile,'' Denver defensive end Elvis Dumervil said. "He gets around the pocket and he did a good job getting rid of the ball.''

Denver's defensive scheme focused on containing rookie back Doug Martin, who entered the game with 1,050 rushing yards.

"It was huge,'' Dumervil said after Denver limited Martin to only 56 yards in 18 carries. "He's a big part of what they do.''

And as usual, it was Denver's Pro Bowl outside linebacker Von Miller who stood out during a game-breaking sequence.

With Freeman facing heat up the middle from defensive tackle Mitch Unrein, Miller picked off a pass intended for Vincent Jackson in the right flat and dashed 26 yards for a score, capping a dynamic third quarter by the Broncos.

"One of our key elements every week is to pressure the quarterback and get off on third down,'' Miller said. "Today, fortunately, it worked for us.''

Miller registered his 15th sack of the season, adding six tackles, a quarterback hit and a forced fumble.

While Miller lined up everywhere, coming off either edge or up the middle, Dumervil was locked into a 60-minute trench battle with Bucs left tackle Donald Penn.

Denver's pass rush became more of a factor as the day went on, with Freeman completing only five of 18 passes for 53 yards in the middle two periods after an effective start.

"They get after it,'' Freeman said of Denver's fourth-rated defense. "Their front four did a good job of timing their blitzes.''

The game turned in the third quarter, which had been a strength of the Buccaneers all season. Tampa Bay boasted a 65-24 scoring advantage in the third quarter before the Broncos struck Sunday with a 21-0 blitz that overturned a 10-7 halftime deficit.

Miller, the No  2 overall pick in the 2011 draft, was typically in the middle of the mayhem.

"He's a multidimensional guy,'' said Denver defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson. "He can rush the pass, cover the pass, play the run. Whatever you think Von Miller can't do, stop it. He can do it.''

And after converting only three of 12 third downs, the Bucs are in no mood to argue.

"We've got teams keying on me, but my confidence hasn't dropped a bit,'' Martin said. "I know we'll bounce back from this one and turn our attention to the Eagles. Miller and the rest of that defense got it done today.''

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#1 : December 04, 2012, 12:57:32 AM

Freeman had time to do what he needed to do and he had big room to run on several occasions but chose not to. He over shot or under threw receivers.

The pass that Von Miller intercepted, would have been intercepted anyway even if Freeman were not hit. He was throwing in to triple coverage and that can clearly be seen from the replay.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#2 : December 04, 2012, 02:09:25 AM

I've never seen a QB as rattled as Freeman was at one point in that game.   This is his 4th season starting games in the NFL, he should be past that.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 04, 2012, 03:00:07 AM

I've never seen a QB as rattled as Freeman was at one point in that game.   This is his 4th season starting games in the NFL, he should be past that.

I guess you never heard of Von miller or champ?

Of course, tebow can't get past his crutches or bad throwing motion, so your taunts have no real merit. Especially when you misjudged tebow and freeman so badly.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#4 : December 04, 2012, 05:28:21 AM

Freeman had time to do what he needed to do and he had big room to run on several occasions but chose not to. He over shot or under threw receivers.

The pass that Von Miller intercepted, would have been intercepted anyway even if Freeman were not hit. He was throwing in to triple coverage and that can clearly be seen from the replay.

I agree and saw exactly what you saw.  There were plenty of plays he could have made.  If we got pressure like that the opposing QBs would more than likely look just like Freeman did.  One can only imagine at this point.  Hope our drafting & FA next year can make it happen.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 04, 2012, 10:10:35 AM

I guess you never heard of Von miller or champ?

Of course, tebow can't get past his crutches or bad throwing motion, so your taunts have no real merit. Especially when you misjudged tebow and freeman so badly.

So you're saying that Freeman should still be getting rattled? You're so eager to disagree with Java that if he said "don't stick your foot in your mouth," you would immediately do it. Like you have here.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

gillen033

Starter

#6 : December 04, 2012, 11:35:07 AM

I've seen Aaron Rodgers get rattled in a game this year, and how many years has he been in the league?

Also Timbuc2, you can't say "that pass would have been intercepted anyway." Yes, there was tight coverage, but there was a small window to throw it. I agree with you that he shouldn't have thrown it, but I don't think you can guarantee that it would have been intercepted had he not been hit.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 04, 2012, 11:41:48 AM

According to PFF under pressure Freeman was  3/13 for 26 yds 1 TD 1 int for 33.2 qbr,  otherwise he was 15/26 for 216 yds 1TD 0 int for 97.6 qbr

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 04, 2012, 11:42:30 AM

Also Timbuc2, you can't say "that pass would have been intercepted anyway." Yes, there was tight coverage, but there was a small window to throw it. I agree with you that he shouldn't have thrown it, but I don't think you can guarantee that it would have been intercepted had he not been hit.

no guarantees, but that pass had little to no success rate imo.  a lot of bad things.  there was CB, S, and von miller in the area.  the S had the jump on the route IIRC.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 04, 2012, 12:24:26 PM

According to PFF under pressure Freeman was  3/13 for 26 yds 1 TD 1 int for 33.2 qbr,  otherwise he was 15/26 for 216 yds 1TD 0 int for 97.6 qbr
HE GOT RATTLED!!!! HOW MUCH MORE DO WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS?!?!?!

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 04, 2012, 12:29:00 PM

You know, FRG, Java would start to lose his power over you if you didn't hang on every word he says.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 04, 2012, 12:32:04 PM

The OL has looked pretty bad for a few weeks.  They were playing very well for a long time, but there has been a dive in their quality of play recently.  He is their pass blocking from Sunday:

Donald Penn:  4 Total QB Pressures (28 in five of the last six games)
Jeremy Zuttah:  2 Total QB Pressures
Ted Larsen:  1 Total QB Pressure
Jamon Meredith:  3 Total QB Pressures
Demar Dotson:  3 Total QB Pressures

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#12 : December 04, 2012, 02:05:19 PM

You know, FRG, Java would start to lose his power over you if you didn't hang on every word he says.

oh the irony.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman felt the pressure « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools