Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs against mediocre QB's 6-0.............Against good QB's 0-6 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 04, 2012, 01:02:36 AM

two cents

Tom Jones' Two Cents: Tampa Bay Bucs vs. Denver Broncos

By Tom Jones, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Monday, December 3, 2012

Worst loss

Somehow there was a notion among some Bucs followers that losing Sunday at Denver wouldn't be all that devastating to the team, that maybe it could afford a loss.

For starters, it's a ridiculous suggestion that any team hanging out in the neighborhood of .500 this late in the season can afford to give away games. But Sunday's loss turned out to be especially damaging after the Seahawks pulled off an upset in Chicago. Bet you didn't see that coming.

The Seahawks are 7-5 and lead the Bucs by a game for the last playoff spot in the NFC. With three home games left and a relatively soft schedule, the Seahawks can easily reach 10 victories. If that happens, the Bucs would have to win their last four to reach 10, and even then tiebreakers might go Seattle's way. Plus, we haven't even started talking about other teams that could get in the Bucs' way, such as the Redskins.

Sunday was a bad day. The playoff hopes are not completely toast, but the Bucs really couldn't afford Sunday's loss and likely can't afford even one more.

Biggest hole

The Bucs have faced five mediocre quarterbacks: Cam Newton (twice), Brady Quinn, Carson Palmer, Christian Ponder and Philip Rivers. They went 6-0 against those guys.

They have faced six good to great quarterbacks: Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Robert Griffin III, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and now Peyton Manning. They went 0-6 in those games.

Is their any question that pass defense, especially cornerback, is the No. 1 priority in the offseason?

Grim fact of the day

With the Vikings losing Sunday to drop to 6-6, the Bucs have not beaten a team that currently has a winning record.

Three things that popped into my head

1. The Bucs ran out of time, but give coach Greg Schiano credit for managing the scoreboard, reading the clock, kicking field goals, using his timeouts wisely and doing everything within his power to give the Bucs a chance in the final minutes. This game turned out much closer than it really should have been.

2. Is Bucs RB Doug Martin wearing down? In the past two games, he carried the ball 39 times, and his average per carry was a mere 2.7 yards. In his first 10 games, the rookie was averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

3. When it comes to the victory formation, maybe the Bucs just like to go after Mannings.

Final thought

It would be easy to jump all over the Bucs, but come on, did anyone outside of those who have their checks signed by a Glazer really think Tampa Bay could win in Denver?

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#1 : December 04, 2012, 01:33:50 AM

Tony Romo is a good QB, but Philip Rivers isn't? I understand Rivers has his problem, but he can sitll play. Besides the TD/INT ratio of those two are nearly the exact same.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#2 : December 04, 2012, 01:52:26 AM

Tony Romo is a good QB, but Philip Rivers isn't? I understand Rivers has his problem, but he can sitll play. Besides the TD/INT ratio of those two are nearly the exact same.

Agreed. Media was all over Newton's jock in his rookie year, now he's average, it's funny how they change their opinions to prove what they think is a valid point. Not saying the Bucs haven't struggled against the better QB's, but it's not like they are getting humiliated by them either. Have forced turnover's by Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Both the Mannings, and Romo a play here or there and that record is not 0-6.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 04, 2012, 02:28:34 AM

Qb 's left
Philly- bad
Saints- good
Rams- bad
Atl- back up bad

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 04, 2012, 02:30:29 AM

Oversimplification by a bad, agenda-driven writer. Please warn me in the future when a Jones story is coming.

In Verner We Trust

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 04, 2012, 02:56:39 AM

Qb 's left
Philly- bad
Saints- good
Rams- bad
Atl- back up bad

Good point. They may sit their starters in the Atlanta game. Heck, they may get to choose who gets the wildcard, depending on who they would rather face later.

However, I don't think they should take Philly and the rams lightly. Both of those teams might have something to play for, and considering how being "amped" worked for us, I wouldn't put it past them to play a tough game either.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#6 : December 04, 2012, 08:27:13 AM

exactly

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 04, 2012, 09:08:15 AM

Agreed. Media was all over Newton's jock in his rookie year, now he's average, it's funny how they change their opinions to prove what they think is a valid point. Not saying the Bucs haven't struggled against the better QB's, but it's not like they are getting humiliated by them either. Have forced turnover's by Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Both the Mannings, and Romo a play here or there and that record is not 0-6.

LOL... so count Rivers as a good QB, which I think he is, their record is still bad (1-6), against good QB's.  Also, I've seen nothing from this team over the last 4 seasons to make me think that if they played the Giants or Denver here this year, that they'd win.  I do think they'd beat Dallas though.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#8 : December 04, 2012, 09:13:25 AM

" 2. Is Bucs RB Doug Martin wearing down? In the past two games, he carried the ball 39 times, and his average per carry was a mere 2.7 yards. In his first 10 games, the rookie was averaging 5.2 yards per carry."

Sell out to stop the run and dare Freeman to beat you = victory over the Bucs.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

danimal09

Starter

#9 : December 04, 2012, 09:49:49 AM

I see it as we are winning against QBs we should be beating and we are struggling against better QBs, not necessarily losing to all good QBs though.. But we all know the weak point of this team is pass defense so is their any real surprise here? And IMHO I think our pass D did better than expected against Manning on Sunday. Our defense gave our offense their chances to win the game.

danimal09

Starter

#10 : December 04, 2012, 09:51:46 AM

" 2. Is Bucs RB Doug Martin wearing down? In the past two games, he carried the ball 39 times, and his average per carry was a mere 2.7 yards. In his first 10 games, the rookie was averaging 5.2 yards per carry."

I think that is what teams have been doing to us and it just happens to be rattling Free a little, I think as soon as he gets used to teams making him beat him and he gets sharper this offense will be producing like it was earlier this season. The Oline is the key here, he needs more time to throw.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 04, 2012, 10:55:33 AM

Our pass defense is 32nd but only because there is no where to go beyond that. They give every QB we face a large advantage. When you play an elite QB that advantage is to much to overcome in most cases. When you play an average QB that can be overcome and has.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 04, 2012, 12:01:54 PM

Agreed but that line needs some help. For sure Freeman needs too get better but like the secondary, he's working with band aid guys.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#13 : December 04, 2012, 12:03:48 PM

Martin's working with those same guys.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 04, 2012, 12:16:46 PM

There haven't been any holes to run through for the last three games. We are getting dominated up front and it's preventing the offense from being explosive and overcoming a bad defense. Every time Doug does bust out a big run or take a dump off for a big gain... It comes back for holding or hands to the face. In the last three games, Doug has has almost 120 yards called back due to o-line penalties.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs against mediocre QB's 6-0.............Against good QB's 0-6 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools