Boards > The Red Board

Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now?

<< < (2/244) > >>

Ramonb:
No....Freeman is not the answer.   Freeman = Jason Cambell

JDouble:

--- Quote from: TBayXXXVII on December 06, 2012, 08:24:41 AM ---Wait... isn't this the same writer who said just 2 days ago that the Bucs were 0-6 vs good QB and 6-0 vs bad ones... and basically said it's Freeman's fault?  Now he wants the Bucs to sign him long term?

No.  They should absolutely not sign him to a long term deal.  If they do, they're guaranteeing that he'll be here for at least another 3 or 4 more years.  We could have the next Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell or David Garrard.  We could have the next Eli, Roethlisberger, Matt Scahub, or Jay Cutler.  There are too many unknowns.  Right now he's cheap (by NFL standards), and should stay that way.  If he's the kind of player that requires a big deal for him to perform well, I don't want him as my QB.  Determination for greatness is the reason I want my QB to always perform at his best.

--- End quote ---

Before saying Freeman doesn't compare to those guys like Eli....you should compare their numbers through the first 53 games. Freeman is equal or better than all those guys you listed.

TBayXXXVII:

--- Quote from: JDouble on December 06, 2012, 08:58:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: TBayXXXVII on December 06, 2012, 08:24:41 AM ---Wait... isn't this the same writer who said just 2 days ago that the Bucs were 0-6 vs good QB and 6-0 vs bad ones... and basically said it's Freeman's fault?  Now he wants the Bucs to sign him long term?

No.  They should absolutely not sign him to a long term deal.  If they do, they're guaranteeing that he'll be here for at least another 3 or 4 more years.  We could have the next Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell or David Garrard.  We could have the next Eli, Roethlisberger, Matt Scahub, or Jay Cutler.  There are too many unknowns.  Right now he's cheap (by NFL standards), and should stay that way.  If he's the kind of player that requires a big deal for him to perform well, I don't want him as my QB.  Determination for greatness is the reason I want my QB to always perform at his best.

--- End quote ---

Before saying Freeman doesn't compare to those guys like Eli....you should compare their numbers through the first 53 games. Freeman is equal or better than all those guys you listed.

--- End quote ---

Whatever.  Freeman entered the league in a passer-friendly era, none of those guys did.  You can't compare their numbers and weigh them equally, you have to compare them based on how they rate against their peers.  Besides, I'm talking about end product... not current product.  Eli, Ben, Schaub, and Cutler are (and not exclusively), the tier below the elite guys... that's what we all hope he becomes.

To your stats point... in Eli's 2nd season, he had 3760 yards... Freeman had 3450.  On the face, they are comparable... but looking deeper, Eli was 5th in yards that year and Freeman was 13th.  When you look at the rest of the numbers across the board, Freeman's look better overall, but the fact that Eli threw 100 more passes tells you that Eli was asked to do more.  More responsibility leads to more mistakes.  Again, in their 3rd years their numbers similar... but again, one (Freeman), is doing it in a more pass-friendly league while the other (Eli), is not.  Cutler, whom a lot of people don't like, is way ahead of Freeman.  He's been extremely consistant from year 1 to today posting a mid to high 80's rating almost every year with a completion pct in the low 60's almost every year and has virtually no legitimate targets to throw to the last 3.

JDouble:
After 53 games started.....

Josh Freeman -  1012/1703 for 59.4%    74 TDs to 54 Ints for an 82 QB rating.  11901 total passing yards with a 7 yards per pass average.

Eli Manning -   929/1670 for for 55.8%    69 TDs to 55 Ints for a 76.8 QB rating.    10152 total passing yards with a 6.1 yards per pass average.

Throw in the fact that Eli had all the same coaches and schemes for his first 53 games, and it makes Freeman's numbers even more impressive. Also, Freeman is 24 years old while Eli was 26 after 53 games.

Now Eli isn't the greatest QB to ever live, and he is certainly inconsistent....but he is considered to be elite by most and he has won two Super Bowls. How about we enjoy what we have instead of always taking the "Grass is Greener" approach to everything? Freeman needs to be locked up. Period.

youngone:

--- Quote from: JDouble on December 06, 2012, 09:26:35 AM ---After 53 games started.....

Josh Freeman -  1012/1703 for 59.4%    74 TDs to 54 Ints for an 82 QB rating.  11901 total passing yards with a 7 yards per pass average.

Eli Manning -   929/1670 for for 55.8%    69 TDs to 55 Ints for a 76.8 QB rating.    10152 total passing yards with a 6.1 yards per pass average.

Throw in the fact that Eli had all the same coaches and schemes for his first 53 games, and it makes Freeman's numbers even more impressive. Also, Freeman is 24 years old while Eli was 26 after 53 games.

Now Eli isn't the greatest QB to ever live, and he is certainly inconsistent....but he is considered to be elite by most and he has won two Super Bowls. How about we enjoy what we have instead of always taking the "Grass is Greener" approach to everything? Freeman needs to be locked up. Period.

--- End quote ---
I agree. He won't command a record breaking deal either and I think it should be done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version