Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 82

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#660 : December 10, 2012, 07:38:45 PM

Freeman has shown enough flash , and put up solid enough numbers , that you couldn't safely get rid of him without fear of looking extremely stupid down the road.

He's our guy , for better or for worse. Might as well lock him in. The thought of starting over from scratch with an unknown rookie makes me sick to my stomach.

That   ^^^^

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#661 : December 10, 2012, 10:21:10 PM

The QB play in the Dallas, Denver, and Philly games was absolutely gut-wrenching. Saw two of them personally which made it worse. I needed a heavy dose of pepto afterwards. If we give this guy an extension, we might as well be pouring the concrete around our ankles and readying to jump into deep water.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#662 : December 10, 2012, 10:24:10 PM

The QB play in the Dallas, Denver, and Philly games was absolutely gut-wrenching. Saw two of them personally which made it worse. I needed a heavy dose of pepto afterwards. If we give this guy an extension, we might as well be pouring the concrete around our ankles and readying to jump into deep water.

Not much out there as far as alternatives bro.       Matt Flynn?  Alex Smith?    No thanks.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#663 : December 10, 2012, 10:25:52 PM

Greatest in history was 1983

Probably, I'm just repeating what I've read from people that know football much more than you or I.

John Elway
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Tony Eason
Ken O'Brien

That's a pretty damn tough list to beat.   

Hate

Hall of Famer
#664 : December 10, 2012, 10:31:00 PM

With the exception of Tebow, that QB class is being described by some, including Mike Mayock, as the greatest QB class in NFL history.

Generally you're looking at a 50% bust rate.

the '04 class has produced 4 Lombardi's and a mediocre Phillip Rivers. Even the greatness known at the 1983 class can't boast that!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#665 : December 10, 2012, 10:31:48 PM

Not much out there as far as alternatives bro.       Matt Flynn?  Alex Smith?    No thanks.

Horrible alternatives. But I'd rather have them than Tebow.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#666 : December 10, 2012, 10:32:23 PM

Sign him for one year and start drafting possible QBs.  The good teams draft actually good potential players and let them sit and learn the game.  Why keep taking slubs like Orlovsky who really cannot carry a game.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#667 : December 10, 2012, 10:33:53 PM

There will be more options available than that, between now and the end of the 2013/2014 season. Freeman is not worthy of a second contract yet, unless he is willing to take a pay cut, which he wont be.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#668 : December 10, 2012, 10:34:33 PM

Horrible alternatives. But I'd rather have them than Tebow.

Tallest midget argument.  They all are terrible.    Why not stuck with the guy who might turn into something?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#669 : December 10, 2012, 10:37:35 PM

There will be more options available than that, between now and the end of the 2013/2014 season. Freeman is not worthy of a second contract yet, unless he is willing to take a pay cut, which he wont be.

Ya thats the rub really.  Dom cant wait until after next season to lock him in.  Him and his dad would say bye bye and watch the offers come in from QB desperate teams.  And there are plenty of those.

I guess he could tag him after the 2013 season.  But that could get ugly real quick.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#670 : December 10, 2012, 10:38:11 PM

I'm all for resigning him.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#671 : December 10, 2012, 10:45:49 PM

just for arguments sake - if we were to dangle josh freeman, what do you think he would gather?  a 1st? less?  more?  2 1sts?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#672 : December 10, 2012, 10:58:41 PM

Ya thats the rub really.  Dom cant wait until after next season to lock him in.  Him and his dad would say bye bye and watch the offers come in from QB desperate teams.  And there are plenty of those.

I guess he could tag him after the 2013 season.  But that could get ugly real quick.

I just completely disagree with that train of thought. If the dude plays well and helps turn this team into a consistent winner...then he will want to stay, especially if they are just coming off of a playoff appearance next year or the year after. If it's another year like this one, then..."peace".

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#673 : December 10, 2012, 11:29:52 PM

Was listening to Pat Kirwan today discussing the differences between the Seattle and Arizona philosophies...obviously Seattle blew out Arizona Sunday but lets look at the QB position specifically...

Arizona....since Warner retired, they've been trying to find a replacement and briefly experimented with Leinart before going after Derek Anderson, John Skelton and Max Hall. They signed Kevin Kolb and kept Skelton around....then brought Lindley in this year as well. All have underwhelmed yet they remain on the roster seemingly after its quite apparent that none are the answer.

Seattle on the other hand realized that Hasselbeck was on a downward trajectory and they dispatched him, signing Charlie Whitehurst (remember him?)...they brought in Tavaris Jackson last year and he played the majority of games over Whitehurst but they were not content with the production there so they went and signed Flynn in the offseason while drafting an under-rated short guy named Russell Wilson....the rest is history.

Now the point being....Seattle gave their QBs a window of opportunity to impress and if they didn't perform then they were on the street or the bench while other options were getting chances.....the Cardinals have allowed their QBs to linger because they desperately want to be right and are unwilling to gamble with changing personnel. Not saying there are absolute rights and wrongs here but you can see who's clearly ahead of the game....

Signing Josh doesn't have to be tipping your hand that he's "the guy", in fact you can draft or bring in FA competition this offseason while planning to franchise the kid in case you haven't found his successor in the short term....if he suddenly becomes a decent leader (unlikely) and gets his completion percentage up (very unlikely) then it's a win-win....give him the big deal....at the end of the day it's all about winning ballgames and no one player is bigger than the team so if he isn't performing, go out and get someone who can and will.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#674 : December 10, 2012, 11:38:58 PM

Why are you so sensitive to Freeman's feelings? Players much better than he have been tagged!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools