Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 82

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#870 : December 12, 2012, 10:26:22 PM

I agree, Freeman and hid Dad most likely don't accept a low ball offer.  So there is the problem.  High offer or let him go into his contract year?

There you go AGAIN. What's the problem? What's wrong with letting him play out his contract year?

Then he has options.   Then Dom is competing with the Jets, Cards, Cheifs and a few others.
Not necessarily true.

Do you think those teams are going to stand pat, and not go after a QB in one way or another, at the chance of luring Josh Freeman into a new system with less firepower?  Suffer one more year at the idea of landing the "bonafide" Freechi5e?  Hell naw.  You are wrong on that account.

But, if those teams do strike out, or any team gets a hankering for Freeman, and the BUcs want him bad enough, and he shows he is worth it, I have no issues with locking him up to a big contract because the logic in doing so would have been sound.  You did due dilligence by waiting and observing the entire body of work, over the course of five years, rather than four.  16 more games is a huge evaluation bonus, and if he slides a bit, it actually drops his market value. 

And if he goes, I think he can be replaced anyway. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#871 : December 12, 2012, 10:30:21 PM

I agree, Freeman and hid Dad most likely don't accept a low ball offer.  So there is the problem.  High offer or let him go into his contract year?

There you go AGAIN. What's the problem? What's wrong with letting him play out his contract year?

Then he has options.   Then Dom is competing with the Jets, Cards, Cheifs and a few others.
Not necessarily true.

Do you think those teams are going to stand pat, and not go after a QB in one way or another, at the chance of luring Josh Freeman into a new system with less firepower?  Suffer one more year at the idea of landing the "bonafide" Freechi5e?  Hell naw.  You are wrong on that account.

But, if those teams do strike out, or any team gets a hankering for Freeman, and the BUcs want him bad enough, and he shows he is worth it, I have no issues with locking him up to a big contract because the logic in doing so would have been sound.  You did due dilligence by waiting and observing the entire body of work, over the course of five years, rather than four.  16 more games is a huge evaluation bonus, and if he slides a bit, it actually drops his market value. 

And you think Free and his Dad are going to accept a "big contract" at that point in time?   Who would do that,  when the other option is free agency?   Where they can really cash in to the highest bidder.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#872 : December 12, 2012, 10:36:24 PM

Not necessarily true.

And you think Free and his Dad are going to accept a "big contract" at that point in time?   Who would do that,  when the other option is free agency?   Where they can really cash in to the highest bidder.

Well that's just it there. The highest bidder will be some team that has suffered through worse than Freeman, but you know who's gonna pay it? The Bucs will. Guess what? Freeman, the guy many doubt is a franchise QB, will be paid like one. Boom!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#873 : December 12, 2012, 10:38:05 PM

If he proves worth tagging, he has no options.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#874 : December 12, 2012, 10:38:25 PM

Lol Boid.

Josh "shrivel" Freeman.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#875 : December 12, 2012, 10:43:16 PM

If he proves worth tagging, then we probably made the playoffs.

So now not only will Josh be "pissed" that he is being tagged and raking in about double the salary that he is scheduled to make in 2013, but he also would want to leave a team with plenty of offensive firepower.

All this cause the mean ol' front office expected him to complete his contract before signing a new one. The nerve.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#876 : December 12, 2012, 10:44:39 PM

So now not only will Josh be "pissed" that he is being tagged and raking in about double the salary that he is scheduled to make in 2013, but he also would want to leave a team with plenty of offensive firepower.

All this cause the mean ol' front office expected him to complete his contract before signing a new one. The nerve.

Do you think Ozzie is worried about Flacco's feelings?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#877 : December 12, 2012, 10:48:14 PM

I suspect the bucs were hoping to know Freeman would be the guy they were looking for, and renegotiate prior to this last season under contract.  By being early 1.  it tells everyone the bucs have their guy, and 2. the bucs could sign and likely save money overall.  Not happening any other way. 

And I would be SICK seeing a tag get used on Freeman

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#878 : December 12, 2012, 10:49:46 PM

Eli is different era of football???  Ridiculous!!! Not only is not a different era it's the same system.  This is not an excuse it's reality this offense he is running is completely different than anything he has ever run.  Route concepts takes two tango Wr and QB on the same page. Eli's first two years in this system 56 and 57% it wasn't till year three that he got to 60% completion rate. 

My intent was never to make a case that Josh is a Top 10 QB right now.  My point is he has shown enough that a case can be made for him to be extended this year.  It will be a lot cheaper to do the deal now then next year.  If you want proof we have a scenario playing out right now with Flacco.  I don't think anyone here would call Flacco elite, but he will get a hell of a pay day from the Ravens.  Unless they choose to start over at the QB position. They could have paid Flacco last year for a lot less. 

At the end of next year we will have a clear vision of Josh.  I don't see how his numbers go down next year with a second year in the same systemMartin, Jackson, Williams and Nicks, Joseph back on the line.  So that would put Josh around 30 TD passes and a dozen picks. Can a team or have you ever heard of team closing the door on a QB that threw back to back 30 TD seasons?  And I know the argument the Freeman bashers can't stand who would be just turning 26.  Does anyone think the Bucs will close the door?  I don't. 

So, if you don't close the door sign him this offseason it will be cheaper.

The other two QBs were from a different era.

I honestly don't think it will be a lot cheaper. His cap hit next year is $9.7 million. Say he has a decent year in '13 and finally gets us to the playoffs. How much more do you think he will be wanting? I would say, at most, and average of $12-13 mil a year. The difference between the current '13 scheduled salary, and that amount is a drop in the bucket. Especially if you factor in that the salary cap will jump in 2014 due to the new TV deals kicking in.

Waiting and paying the extra few million is definitely worth it. I have a feeling that most objective posters here agree.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#879 : December 12, 2012, 10:51:01 PM

Do you think Ozzie is worried about Flacco's feelings?

Nope. He is an excellent GM.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#880 : December 12, 2012, 10:54:08 PM

Of course he is - Ozzie doesn't want to start qb shopping - just not good for a franchise.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Hate

Hall of Famer
#881 : December 12, 2012, 10:55:31 PM

Of course he is - Ozzie doesn't want to start qb shopping - just not good for a franchise.

Of course he is, what?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#882 : December 12, 2012, 11:00:32 PM

both an excellent gm and concerned about how his starting qb is thinking/feeling

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#883 : December 12, 2012, 11:01:36 PM

There is no reason to pay him before his contract is up.

That being said, I still think some one is going to pay him $10mil annually.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#884 : December 12, 2012, 11:03:20 PM

thinking that if fine, now basis for that is iffy - 7/30/2009: Signed a five-year, $26 million contract. The deal includes $10.245 million guaranteed. Another $10 million is available through incentives. 2012: $6.585 million, 2013: $8.43 million, 2014: Free Agent

Page: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools