Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 82

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#420 : December 09, 2012, 07:33:41 PM

Philadelphia is an incredibly average defense.  They're right in the middle of the league.  This isn't like Pittsburgh or San Fran coming in and Freeman laying an egg.  This was an AWFUL AWFUL HORRENDOUS TERRIBLE game by Freeman, and you need to realize that.  Even if you think Freeman is a good QB, that was a DISASTER game.

If you think this was that bad, then what do you consider Drew Brees' performance against the Falcons a few weeks ago where he threw 5 INT's?

Absolutely the nut low?  Just because there have been worse, doesn't make this one any better.  That's like saying that Mark Sanchez is an adequate QB because he's better than John Skelton.

Freeman had a bad 1st half, but played good in the 2nd half. He had 2 TD's and didn't turnover the ball. That's far from an awful game.

14 for 34 is the very definition of an awful game.  You could make a case that it was one of the 5 worst games from a QB this week.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#421 : December 09, 2012, 07:34:21 PM

Philadelphia is an incredibly average defense.  They're right in the middle of the league.  This isn't like Pittsburgh or San Fran coming in and Freeman laying an egg.  This was an AWFUL AWFUL HORRENDOUS TERRIBLE game by Freeman, and you need to realize that.  Even if you think Freeman is a good QB, that was a DISASTER game.

If you think this was that bad, then what do you consider Drew Brees' performance against the Falcons a few weeks ago where he threw 5 INT's?

Absolutely the nut low?  Just because there have been worse, doesn't make this one any better.  That's like saying that Mark Sanchez is an adequate QB because he's better than John Skelton.
I believe the point is players who are universally considered franchise QB's have their boneheaded plays/games, too.

Referencing Sanchez is just stupid because he doesn't have near the good games Brees and Freeman do. He plays like Freeman did today every game.

But Josh hasn't proven that this is an anomaly, he has just as many of these games as good games.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#422 : December 09, 2012, 07:36:12 PM

Sure he had a rough day, no one is disputing that.   But he made a few nice throws too.

Of course, he had some nice throws. Out of his 14 completions, there had to be 2 or 3 nice ones in there somewhere. Its the other 31 throws that concern this Buc fan.

Well....my point is he did enough to win the game.  Sure he was off.  But there are others to blame that are more deserving.........

Gorrer
Leonard
Gaiter.....although he made a few plays.
Sheridan

Its very possible that neither of them will be on the team next yr, meanwhile you'd like to lock Freeman up for 5/6 more years of the craptastic play we saw today? Not me. Let him play out his deal....with some competition, and let the cards fall where they may.
Not that I agree - but just who do you have in mind to bring in, knowing the bucs won't have a top 5 pick? 

Where is it written that it has to be a top 5 pick?
I didn't say it had to be a top 5 pick - just reminding you the bucs will likely have a mid first round pick.  So, how much longer are you going to duck answering the question.  I'll help - if you want to draft a QB this year - pray early and often.  TheAman offered a FA qb - and I ask whom?

I don't know who will be available.  I'd take a Shaun Hill or Jason Campbell type for a year.  I could say that Jay Cutler and Tony Romo will be free agents in 2014, but they'll want long term deals, and that's the opposite of what I'm talking about.
Hill is under contract until 2014 and Campbell's cost is pretty low, he is scheduled to be a FA this off-season - and to me isn't all that different from Freeman.  So - maybe - or offer Freeman the same type of deal Campbell has - he makes less than either of our guards, and one of our tackles according to Rotoworld's report.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#423 : December 09, 2012, 07:37:23 PM

We're talking about 2014 though.  Josh Freeman will be the starting QB of the Bucs next year.  As he should be.  I'm talking about 2014 and beyond.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#424 : December 09, 2012, 07:37:33 PM

Dave, i don't have that answer but i'm pretty confident that we can find mediocre anywhere.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#425 : December 09, 2012, 07:37:42 PM

Freeman had a bad 1st half, but played good in the 2nd half. He had 2 TD's and didn't turnover the ball. That's far from an awful game.

14 for 34 is the very definition of an awful game.  You could make a case that it was one of the 5 worst games from a QB this week.

Off the top of my head, all the QB's that Freeman had a better week than.

John Skelton
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Brady Quinn

And I'm sure I missed others.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#426 : December 09, 2012, 07:38:39 PM

I believe the point is players who are universally considered franchise QB's have their boneheaded plays/games, too.

Referencing Sanchez is just stupid because he doesn't have near the good games Brees and Freeman do. He plays like Freeman did today every game.

But Josh hasn't proven that this is an anomaly, he has just as many of these games as good games.
That's life in the NFL. Eli Manning has had eight games with 1 or zero passing TD's this season. All QB's who aren't Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers have good games and bad games.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#427 : December 09, 2012, 07:39:43 PM

John Skelton
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Brady Quinn

Impressive......NOT

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#428 : December 09, 2012, 07:42:21 PM

Eli Manning doesn't have as many disaster games as good games.  He does have disaster games, as you said, all QBs do, but he has more good games than bad.  You can't say that about Freeman.  Freeman has had 5 games where his completion percentage was better than 60%. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#429 : December 09, 2012, 07:42:45 PM

Personally I don't think that Josh is a Franchise QB. He is good enough to win games, and he is good enough to entice, but he goes through way too many periods where he can't hit a barn door with a shotgun. The first half today was a prime example. Then, he goes through a spurt in the 2nd where he is good, then falls down on his face when it counts. Streaky is a minor understatement. He could take you to a Superbowl, but he could just as easily take you to a 0-16 season. Just my VHO.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#430 : December 09, 2012, 07:43:05 PM

Dave, i don't have that answer but i'm pretty confident that we can find mediocre anywhere.
Skip - bringing in mediocre to replace mediocre isn't moving forward.  IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT (something like Jason Campbell's contract) Freeman should be re-signed. 

And he isn't the only one on the team that is mediocre.  And we should remain curious to see how he might function with the starting O line in place.  The current group of backups can't keep the pocket clean in front of Freeman - and most qbs stink when faced with that condition.  I AM NOT SAYING Freeman is the answer - just that there is still information needed to decide what Freeman's final evaluation should be.  In the interim - if the bucs can extend him for a fair price - that is smart.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#431 : December 09, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

Bringing in mediocre to replace mediocre is moving forward if you're not committing to mediocre long term.  You give Freeman a long-term contract, and you're committing to mediocre long-term.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#432 : December 09, 2012, 07:47:06 PM

John Skelton
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Brady Quinn

Impressive......NOT

Jay Cutler, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Christian Ponder, etc.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#433 : December 09, 2012, 07:47:37 PM

Skip - bringing in mediocre to replace mediocre isn't moving forward.  IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT (something like Jason Campbell's contract) Freeman should be re-signed. 

And he isn't the only one on the team that is mediocre.  And we should remain curious to see how he might function with the starting O line in place.  The current group of backups can't keep the pocket clean in front of Freeman - and most qbs stink when faced with that condition.  I AM NOT SAYING Freeman is the answer - just that there is still information needed to decide what Freeman's final evaluation should be.  In the interim - if the bucs can extend him for a fair price - that is smart.

It takes 2 to tango though.  Free and his dad might say thanks but no thanks, to a short term low ball offer.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#434 : December 09, 2012, 07:48:35 PM

Jason Campbell is playing for $3mil. To think that Freeman re-signs here for that is a pipe dream.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools