Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 82

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #480 : December 09, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »

In line with the thread topic, and not just a bash Josh thread, I see him returning to the Bucs on $5million ish a year, may 7-8, but it they will then draft a QB and have lots of clauses where they can cut him in a year or 2 without a big salary cap hit.

What makes you think he would agree to that?
His current contract is paying him 2012: $6.585 million, 2013: $8.43 million, 2014: Free Agent

Right and if he hits free agency a few teams like Buffalo, Miami, Jets or Kansas City will back up the Brinks truck at his door.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #481 : December 09, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

In line with the thread topic, and not just a bash Josh thread, I see him returning to the Bucs on $5million ish a year, may 7-8, but it they will then draft a QB and have lots of clauses where they can cut him in a year or 2 without a big salary cap hit.

His current contract is paying him 2012: $6.585 million, 2013: $8.43 million, 2014: Free Agent

Right and if he hits free agency a few teams like Buffalo, Miami, Jets or Kansas City will back up the Brinks truck at his door.
I don't know if that is accurate AJ - the guy I watched but for a short streak here and there normally doesn't get the Brinks delivery.  And he will be in his 4th year in the league - without a winning record. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #482 : December 09, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

I think we're stuck with Freeman for a while guys. We just gotta hope he gets better and the team around him gets better. Maybe I'm just an optimist but I feel Freeman can get better and be a pretty damn good QB for us that we can be proud of. Maybe not hit every pass like a Rodgers or Brady but I think he can be very good if he puts in the time and works on his game. Maybe does a little more of what he was doing in they second half vs the first. Running when the rush is coming and blocking for Doug on that one play. I liked seeing that. Josh needs to put the time in to get better. Whatever it takes. Some guys it takes less. He needs to get it right because he's got serious potential. Get it right with the receivers too. You think Peyton doesn't put in some extra time with the WRs to the routes right? I'm not sure if Josh does. These are the things he needs to do to be great and win the big games. Hopefully he gets it done.
« : December 09, 2012, 08:57:37 PM BucBalla85 »

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #483 : December 09, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »

I don't know if that is accurate AJ - the guy I watched but for a short streak here and there normally doesn't get the Brinks delivery.  And he will be in his 4th year in the league - without a winning record.

This is where I am at. After 4 years Josh is still WAY streaky. There comes a point where potential ends and you realize a guy is what he is. I am not ready to give up totally on Josh, but I am not seeing much improvement other than not throwing interceptions, and that might be more luck than judgement.
« : December 09, 2012, 09:00:45 PM spartan »

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #484 : December 09, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »

He'd be a fool to agree to that. Either the Bucs sign him to a contract in line with other starting QBs in the league or they tag him. Either way, he gets paid.....and a helluva lot more than the amounts some of you are suggesting.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

TheAman

Hall of Famer

« #485 : December 09, 2012, 08:58:06 PM »

My biggest concern is a Tony Romo situation setting us back.  A guy who is above average, but good enough not to cut, and a guy you have to stick with that will never get you anywhere.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #486 : December 09, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

I don't know if that is accurate AJ

C'mon Dave, you're smarter than that. Free will sign, here or somewhere, for upwards of 10mil. That's a foregone conclusion.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #487 : December 09, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »

Yes but those teams are desperate for a QB, it wouldn't be the first time a mediocre QB got large money thrown his way.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #488 : December 09, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

I  don't know that skip - you look at the top 10 - WHERE HE CURRENTLY IS - and you tell me what his base salary will be.

1  Peyton Manning at
Quarterback
$18,000,000
2 Michael Vick at
Quarterback
$12,500,000
3 Matt Ryan at
Quarterback
$11,500,000
4 Philip Rivers at
Quarterback
$10,200,000
5 Aaron Rodgers at
Quarterback
$8,000,000
6 Jay Cutler at
Quarterback
$7,700,000
7 Joe Flacco at
Quarterback
$6,760,000
8 Josh Freeman at
Quarterback
$6,585,000
9 Sam Bradford at
Quarterback
$6,000,000
10 Matt Hasselbeck at
Quarterback
$5,500,000

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #489 : December 09, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

My biggest concern is a Tony Romo situation setting us back.  A guy who is above average, but good enough not to cut, and a guy you have to stick with that will never get you anywhere.

Bad comparison IMO.    Romo is like 35 or something.   Free still has upside.  Although he could be running out of that in another year or two.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #490 : December 09, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

Teams will look at him, see a 24 yr old with upside, and pay him quite nicely.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #491 : December 09, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »

C'mon Dave, you're smarter than that. Free will sign, here or somewhere, for upwards of 10mil. That's a foregone conclusion.

You might be right Hate, but my thought is that will because he would have shown that he CAN do it, but just won't on a regular basis. It is annoying I know, because when he is hot, he is hot as hell, but when he is not, he can't hit the Pirate Ship from the 1 yd line.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

« #492 : December 09, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »

Bad comparison IMO.    Romo is like 35 or something.   Free still has upside.  Although he could be running out of that in another year or two.

I'm not completely comparing the two, just saying that Dallas has been stuck with a bad contract for a QB that isn't a truly good QB you can count on.  Nothing hurts your team more than that.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #493 : December 09, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

You might be right Hate, but my thought is that will because he would have shown that he CAN do it, but just won't on a regular basis. It is annoying I know, because when he is hot, he is hot as hell, but when he is not, he can't hit the Pirate Ship from the 1 yd line.

Players get paid on potential all the time. Kevin Kolb immediately comes to mind.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #494 : December 09, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »

Schiano is as puzzled as anyone.

Stephen Holder

about an hour ago

If you thought Josh Freeman didn't look like himself today, you're not alone. Greg Schiano agrees with you:

"It just seemed like he wasn’t himself, wasn’t in sync. Then he made some throws that make you say, ‘Oh, there he is.’ We as an offensive football team didn’t play the way we are capable of playing. We made some critical mistakes. At the end of the day you can’t do that in the National Football League. It doesn’t work."

Page: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools