Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 82

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#510 : December 09, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

I don't understand this thought process that if you don't resign him, you have to immediately find your franchise guy.  You can give up on a guy while searching for the future, it doesn't have to be "Ok, you're gone.  Hey, we don't like you, but we're going to sign you to a big deal anyways".

Schiano in year 2 of 5 might disagree with your approach.  Schaino might want a new guy, but he is going to want to roll with Free while they find a new guy.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#511 : December 09, 2012, 09:44:34 PM

An issue that keeps being brought up that I have issue with is the notion that if the Bucs don't sign him NOW, that they have to replace him NOW.  That's not the case at all.  He's under contract through next season.  Just because they don't extend him now, doesn't mean they have to draft a QB in April.  Most people who are saying not to extend him ARE NOT saying to replace him.  Simply, don't extend his contract yet.  There's still next year people.  If Freeman performs next year like a true franchise QB, Dominik (if he's still here), will offer him a long term deal and Freeman will sign it.  If Freeman still doesn't instill confidence, there will likely be a couple options in April 2014.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#512 : December 09, 2012, 09:46:41 PM

I don't understand this thought process that if you don't resign him, you have to immediately find your franchise guy.  You can give up on a guy while searching for the future, it doesn't have to be "Ok, you're gone.  Hey, we don't like you, but we're going to sign you to a big deal anyways".

Schiano in year 2 of 5 might disagree with your approach.  Schaino might want a new guy, but he is going to want to roll with Free while they find a new guy.

You're right.  I'm not saying what's going to happen, because very likely Freeman is going to get an extension.  But I'm trying to look at what's best for the long-term interest of the team, something that Schiano can't look at.  I don't blame him for operating that way, but a lot of times people acting in their own self-interests hurts a team.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#513 : December 09, 2012, 09:47:15 PM

An issue that keeps being brought up that I have issue with is the notion that if the Bucs don't sign him NOW, that they have to replace him NOW.  That's not the case at all.  He's under contract through next season.  Just because they don't extend him now, doesn't mean they have to draft a QB in April.  Most people who are saying not to extend him ARE NOT saying to replace him.  Simply, don't extend his contract yet.  There's still next year people.  If Freeman performs next year like a true franchise QB, Dominik (if he's still here), will offer him a long term deal and Freeman will sign it.  If Freeman still doesn't instill confidence, there will likely be a couple options in April 2014.

Why would he sign anything after the 2013 season when he could be a free agent at that point?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#514 : December 09, 2012, 09:48:33 PM

The simple matter is it is easier to say on this message board right now -- "I wouldnt pay him $9 mill per" -- because its a message board.  But, as pointed out above, the going rate will be at least that for a second contract QB  drafted in the first round, hopefully on a rising team, etc. and the GM making the decision (as pointed out above) would be essentially admitting error by dumping him. So, while we can all say it -- and it is always safer to go negative -- the Bucs cant say that anywhere near as easily, unless the guy completely tanks. If the team is going up (and we get a lot of talent back next year and Free is in the system another year and offseason), well . .

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#515 : December 09, 2012, 09:48:51 PM

Why would he sign anything after the 2013 season when he could be a free agent at that point?

Because he's going to be franchised.  If he's worthy of an extension, he'll be worthy of the franchise tag.  He won't be able to just walk.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#516 : December 09, 2012, 09:50:19 PM

Because he's going to be franchised.  If he's worthy of an extension, he'll be worthy of the franchise tag.  He won't be able to just walk.

Then you create bad blood between the team and camp Free.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#517 : December 09, 2012, 09:51:29 PM

You're right.  I'm not saying what's going to happen, because very likely Freeman is going to get an extension.  But I'm trying to look at what's best for the long-term interest of the team, something that Schiano can't look at.  I don't blame him for operating that way, but a lot of times people acting in their own self-interests hurts a team.

I agree with you 100%. I was just more focused on the reality as opposed to what we might all due.  Schiano's self interest will be to keep him (as long as he does not tank) and that will alos be Dom's self interest.

The other thing that few seem to account for is players are not static, they generally improve over time. So, if Freeman gets to be more consistent, it will be even more likely he is extended.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#518 : December 09, 2012, 09:51:56 PM

Ugh...we're back here.  Find a time that a franchised QB refused to sign a long-term deal because there was bad blood.  It doesn't happen.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#519 : December 09, 2012, 09:52:51 PM

If the Bucs don't extend Freeman this coming offseason, that's FREEMAN's fault...

(that's an Automatic move IF any qb deserves it)

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#520 : December 09, 2012, 09:53:44 PM

agree again and I doubt Free gets to a Franchise Tag.  They sign him this offseason or early next season, right?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#521 : December 09, 2012, 09:54:50 PM

Ugh...we're back here.  Find a time that a franchised QB refused to sign a long-term deal because there was bad blood.  It doesn't happen.

Not a QB but our own Vjax couldn't come to terms with AJ Smith. So they tagged him, and then finally just let him go.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#522 : December 09, 2012, 09:56:23 PM

Then you create bad blood between the team and camp Free.

Depends on the situation. If Freeman continues to be a question make by then, I think we will have our answer about Freeman. If he was still a question mark at thst time, he wouldn't deserve a new contract. No bad blood. If he plays well then he gets a new contract. It should be that easy.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#523 : December 09, 2012, 09:56:37 PM

I know, but we're talking about QBs here.  They don't risk injury to prove a point because of bad blood.  If the Bucs want him, and offer him something fair, he'll take it.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#524 : December 09, 2012, 09:56:50 PM

Not a QB but our own Vjax couldn't come to terms with AJ Smith. So they tagged him, and then finally just let him go.

And it was a mistake that AJ will end up losing his job over.
Page: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools