Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 82

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#525 : December 09, 2012, 10:07:37 PM

An issue that keeps being brought up that I have issue with is the notion that if the Bucs don't sign him NOW, that they have to replace him NOW.  That's not the case at all.  He's under contract through next season.  Just because they don't extend him now, doesn't mean they have to draft a QB in April.  Most people who are saying not to extend him ARE NOT saying to replace him.  Simply, don't extend his contract yet.  There's still next year people.  If Freeman performs next year like a true franchise QB, Dominik (if he's still here), will offer him a long term deal and Freeman will sign it.  If Freeman still doesn't instill confidence, there will likely be a couple options in April 2014.

Why would he sign anything after the 2013 season when he could be a free agent at that point?

Because he's going to be franchised.  If he's worthy of an extension, he'll be worthy of the franchise tag.  He won't be able to just walk.

Then you create bad blood between the team and camp Free.

Depends on the situation. If Freeman continues to be a question make by then, I think we will have our answer about Freeman. If he was still a question mark at thst time, he wouldn't deserve a new contract. No bad blood. If he plays well then he gets a new contract. It should be that easy.

Exactly.  You don't hear anything about bad blood between Flacco and the Ravens do you?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#526 : December 09, 2012, 10:10:53 PM

An issue that keeps being brought up that I have issue with is the notion that if the Bucs don't sign him NOW, that they have to replace him NOW.  That's not the case at all.  He's under contract through next season.  Just because they don't extend him now, doesn't mean they have to draft a QB in April.  Most people who are saying not to extend him ARE NOT saying to replace him.  Simply, don't extend his contract yet.  There's still next year people.  If Freeman performs next year like a true franchise QB, Dominik (if he's still here), will offer him a long term deal and Freeman will sign it.  If Freeman still doesn't instill confidence, there will likely be a couple options in April 2014.

Why would he sign anything after the 2013 season when he could be a free agent at that point?

Because he's going to be franchised.  If he's worthy of an extension, he'll be worthy of the franchise tag.  He won't be able to just walk.

You truly believe that, AJ?

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#527 : December 09, 2012, 10:17:50 PM

I believe if Dom low balls him.....he and his dad would like nothing better then to be the savior in Kansas City.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#528 : December 09, 2012, 10:21:33 PM

I believe if Dom low balls him.....he and his dad would like nothing better then to be the savior in Kansas City.

That's assuming 2 things... #1 - KC doesn't solve their QB issues this off-season and #2 - KC is willing to give up a pair of 1st Rd picks for Freeman.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#529 : December 09, 2012, 10:24:45 PM

But we just have TWO more offseasons to find a guy that can start in 2014. Else we have to franchise tag Freeman for way more money than extending him now, or gamble on a guy that is on the market for a reason, as much of a crap shot as Freeman, so to speak. And if we already use THIS offseason to adress 2014 we are heading the same road SD took with Brees and Rivers or we are FORCED to get the replacement in 2014.
Is having Freeman for 2-4 more years so bad we should accept R Leaf or B Leftwich instead? Its not like we can not ship Freeman after having extended him, he still provides value to alot of teams without any QB. Why make US one of them? Remember the days when guys like Carr were worth a shot for us? When we thought its smart to trade for retired QBs? When Leftwich should have bridged the time until our 'franchise QB' is ready to play? All this while our team does not get any better either, just look at our defense and its 'abilty' to close out games.

If Freeman is not the great QB for us after 2013, i highly doubt anyone lese will be anytime soon. And thats why i see him as a franchise QB, he just isn't any good (yet). Not considering alternatives would be stupid, Indy did, with PEYTON MANNING under contract.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#530 : December 09, 2012, 10:25:48 PM

I think AJ is assuming that Freeman won't sign a deal after being tagged.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#531 : December 09, 2012, 10:28:08 PM

Right, players hate the tag.  If they do that he can refuse any long term deal just to get out of here.  I suppose they could tag him every season, but that is huge dollars.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#532 : December 09, 2012, 10:30:51 PM

Then he'll have to play under the tag or not play at all.  The team can do that twice.  If he truly is a franchise QB, then some team will be willing to give up picks for him.  If Freeman is that petty, take the picks and be done with his prima donna azz.  (Note, he's a prima donna under the circumstance where he's petty enough to have his feelings hurt because a team wants him to actually produce like a franchise QB before they pay him like one.  I'm not saying that he's a prima donna now).

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#533 : December 09, 2012, 10:37:34 PM

But we just have TWO more offseasons to find a guy that can start in 2014. Else we have to franchise tag Freeman for way more money than extending him now, or gamble on a guy that is on the market for a reason, as much of a crap shot as Freeman, so to speak. And if we already use THIS offseason to adress 2014 we are heading the same road SD took with Brees and Rivers or we are FORCED to get the replacement in 2014.
Is having Freeman for 2-4 more years so bad we should accept R Leaf or B Leftwich instead? Its not like we can not ship Freeman after having extended him, he still provides value to alot of teams without any QB. Why make US one of them? Remember the days when guys like Carr were worth a shot for us? When we thought its smart to trade for retired QBs? When Leftwich should have bridged the time until our 'franchise QB' is ready to play? All this while our team does not get any better either, just look at our defense and its 'abilty' to close out games.

If Freeman is not the great QB for us after 2013, i highly doubt anyone lese will be anytime soon. And thats why i see him as a franchise QB, he just isn't any good (yet). Not considering alternatives would be stupid, Indy did, with PEYTON MANNING under contract.

I'm fine with letting things ride out with Freeman.  If Freeman isn't the answer and you extend him now and he turns out to be nothing special, then you're going to be overpaying a QB for mediocre play and hindering other positions because of cap space.  If he's the answer, he'll re-sign.  I'm not scared like A-J is.  In April of 2014, there'll most likely be legit 1st round franchise caliber QB's that will be available.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#534 : December 09, 2012, 10:38:56 PM

Guess i just have higher expectations of a "franchise QB".

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#535 : December 09, 2012, 10:39:14 PM

Then he'll have to play under the tag or not play at all.  The team can do that twice.  If he truly is a franchise QB, then some team will be willing to give up picks for him.  If Freeman is that petty, take the picks and be done with his prima donna azz.  (Note, he's a prima donna under the circumstance where he's petty enough to have his feelings hurt because a team wants him to actually produce like a franchise QB before they pay him like one.  I'm not saying that he's a prima donna now).

All ^that^.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#536 : December 09, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

And he can not sit out a year and still sign with a new team before his 27th birthday? Dude can still give another team EIGHT years of solid QB then. Its not like he is competing with QB that have 4.5 solid years as a starter under their belt, being just 26. Are we willing to pay so much money to him, should he sign or maybe have no expierence at QB at all, should he not?

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#537 : December 09, 2012, 10:48:04 PM

I'm fine with letting things ride out with Freeman.  If Freeman isn't the answer and you extend him now and he turns out to be nothing special, then you're going to be overpaying a QB for mediocre play and hindering other positions because of cap space.  If he's the answer, he'll re-sign.  I'm not scared like A-J is.  In April of 2014, there'll most likely be legit 1st round franchise caliber QB's that will be available.

Why would we OVERPAY him, he gets what he is worth, if he is mediocre he gets a mediocre contract. We see him as top10-15 QB, thats what he will get. How should we get any of those franchise caliber QB in 2014, aslong we are in every game with Freeman at QB? The question is how much does this search for a franchise QB hinder other positions, pick wise? Whats the cost of a potentional franchise tag or the contract of a 1st rd QB, that could be even worse, aka dead money.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#538 : December 09, 2012, 10:52:48 PM

Apperantly, but it also seems like i have higher expectations for 2014 and beyond, higher than those guys here, that rather waste more years and draft picks on QBs that most likely are as much of a gamble/crap shot as Freeman, while our defense does not improve a bit.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#539 : December 09, 2012, 10:55:46 PM

Apperantly, but it also seems like i have higher expectations for 2014 and beyond, higher than those guys here, that rather waste more years and draft picks on QBs that most likely are as much of a gamble/crap shot as Freeman, while our defense does not improve a bit.

The point is.. the guy should in no way after what will be 3.5 years starting be a "crap shoot" anymore.
Page: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools