Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 82

gone

Hall of Famer
#630 : December 10, 2012, 03:16:31 PM

I dont think Freemans doubters will convince the team to drop him. I think he stays another year as the starter.

Yeah, apparently the "fans" concerns only count when it comes to SB winning coaches.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#631 : December 10, 2012, 03:20:46 PM

Cutler was the reason the '07 and '08 Broncos were as good as they were.  While they were mediocre, if he didn't play the way he did, they'd have had 2-4 wins each year.  In that 2-year time frame, he was easily responsible for 12 wins... as a first and 2nd year starter.  Then he got traded and went to a team who's best receivers were Johnny Knox and Devin Hester.  He made that offense at least adequate.  He's a pretty good QB who is accurate.  Anyone who can complete 60% with that slop is pretty good.  The one thing he's suffering now from is the same problem that Stafford is having.  He has only 1 reliable weapon so he forces too many passes that way.  It's causing him to be less effective.  He needs to stop doing that, and it's on him and the coaches and management to fix that or he'll never maximize his potential.

Imagine TB without Freeman, 2009 might give you a little hit of worse things to come, when we signed a journey man to bridge the time. And thats what i'm talking about, Freeman atleast gives us the luxery to pass on the bad QBs and wait for the great QB to come, which Freeman still can become himself.
Culter and Stafford are not suffering from having just one reliable WR, they suffer from being inconsistent, ill advised throws and bad techniques, as Freeman does too, just this is the 1st year he atleast has one reliable target in Vjax.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#632 : December 10, 2012, 03:26:46 PM

So if you give credit to Cutler for going 7-9 and 8-8 with bad defenses, doesn't Freeman deserve the same credit for going 10-6 and probably 8-8 this season with bad defenses?

If you're watching Freeman play, it's obvious he isn't carrying anyone.  Besides, I've seen nothing of the last 3 weeks that tells me that they're going to beat anyone left on their schedule.  Granted, one of Cutler's years they had the 3rd easiest schedule, but the year before he had the 9th hardest.  Freeman's two best years are the 3rd easiest schedule and 7th easiest... the latter being on a team with a lot more offensive help than what Cutler had and still couldn't generate a .500 record.  This is a passing league.  You don't need a good defense to win games.  Of the 8 teams in the NFL with 9 wins or more, only 3 of them have a top 10 defense in terms of yards... half are in the top 10 in points against.  A good defense is a plus, but it's not a necessity.  Coincidentally, 6 teams have a QB who rank in the top 10 in completion percentage.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#633 : December 10, 2012, 03:28:51 PM

I dont think Freemans doubters will convince the team to drop him. I think he stays another year as the starter.

Yeah, apparently the "fans" concerns only count when it comes to SB winning coaches.

No, I think BB85 is right.  Freeman should get 1 more year, the one he has left on his contract.  He just shouldn't get an extension.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#634 : December 10, 2012, 03:29:52 PM

There's no doubt Cutler is better than Freeman.    He gets hotter women too.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#635 : December 10, 2012, 03:35:09 PM

So if you give credit to Cutler for going 7-9 and 8-8 with bad defenses, doesn't Freeman deserve the same credit for going 10-6 and probably 8-8 this season with bad defenses?

If you're watching Freeman play, it's obvious he isn't carrying anyone.  Besides, I've seen nothing of the last 3 weeks that tells me that they're going to beat anyone left on their schedule.  Granted, one of Cutler's years they had the 3rd easiest schedule, but the year before he had the 9th hardest.  Freeman's two best years are the 3rd easiest schedule and 7th easiest... the latter being on a team with a lot more offensive help than what Cutler had and still couldn't generate a .500 record.  This is a passing league.  You don't need a good defense to win games.  Of the 8 teams in the NFL with 9 wins or more, only 3 of them have a top 10 defense in terms of yards... half are in the top 10 in points against.  A good defense is a plus, but it's not a necessity.  Coincidentally, 6 teams have a QB who rank in the top 10 in completion percentage.
It's unbelievable the lengths you will create double standards.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#636 : December 10, 2012, 03:40:58 PM

Cutler was the reason the '07 and '08 Broncos were as good as they were.  While they were mediocre, if he didn't play the way he did, they'd have had 2-4 wins each year.  In that 2-year time frame, he was easily responsible for 12 wins... as a first and 2nd year starter.  Then he got traded and went to a team who's best receivers were Johnny Knox and Devin Hester.  He made that offense at least adequate.  He's a pretty good QB who is accurate.  Anyone who can complete 60% with that slop is pretty good.  The one thing he's suffering now from is the same problem that Stafford is having.  He has only 1 reliable weapon so he forces too many passes that way.  It's causing him to be less effective.  He needs to stop doing that, and it's on him and the coaches and management to fix that or he'll never maximize his potential.

Imagine TB without Freeman, 2009 might give you a little hit of worse things to come, when we signed a journey man to bridge the time. And thats what i'm talking about, Freeman atleast gives us the luxery to pass on the bad QBs and wait for the great QB to come, which Freeman still can become himself.
Culter and Stafford are not suffering from having just one reliable WR, they suffer from being inconsistent, ill advised throws and bad techniques, as Freeman does too, just this is the 1st year he atleast has one reliable target in Vjax.

We'd have been better off right now if they didn't draft Freeman in '09, LOL.  They'd have gone 0-16 that year and Morris probably would have been fired after 1 year.  Just Morris getting fired would have been a huge upgrade.  Plus, they'd have had the first pick in 2010 and gotten Bradford.  Now, in 2009 instead of drafting Freeman, while I had no major preference, because I knew Crabtree wasn't going to make it to us, but I favored Maclin and Nicks.  I'm very offensive minded.  I think many people here remember me talking about Dez and Blackmon the last 2 years.  I was ok with Talib in '08, but I think I liked Mendanhall that year.  I do remember saying to friends "I just don't want that Forte guy".  Oops.  I know I wanted Bowe in '07.  There aren't many years that go by where a WR isn't my favorite pick.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#637 : December 10, 2012, 03:43:15 PM

Hey, if that's what you think, then I encourage you to feel that way.  If I were a blind supporter of Freeman, I'd do the same thing.  The kid does NOT deserve an extension.  Give him next year, but that's it.  Put up or get out after 2013.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#638 : December 10, 2012, 03:56:24 PM

No, I think BB85 is right.  Freeman should get 1 more year, the one he has left on his contract.  He just shouldn't get an extension.

Doesnt matter what we think. The people in that building are the only peoples opinion who really matters. Are they thinking the same way the "doubters" are? Im sure they arent thrilled with him but I also feel like they will stick with him for now. I think they will keep building around him. Right now, to the people who drafted him (Dom and some others in there) are probably thinking lets keep building around him. That defense doesnt help him out very much. The Oline could be better. I mean there will be a point (probably in next couple years) where they put everything on Freeman. Say he needs to win despite bad defense, or Oline. Because in a couple of years he will be 26-27. There wont really be any "excuses" for him. Defense will probably be better(it cant get any worse can it?). Oline should have their pro bowl guards back and have gotten rid of some weak links by then. I think they will give Freeman some more time before the expectations matches the "doubters". Its only the beginning for this team guys. This "rebuild" isnt over yet. This isnt what I think they "oughta do". Its what I think IS happening with this team. It may not result in him getting a new contract soon. But I do think this team is still very invested in Freeman. They arent getting rid of him anytime soon.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#639 : December 10, 2012, 03:59:05 PM

We'd have been better off right now if they didn't draft Freeman in '09, LOL.  They'd have gone 0-16 that year and Morris probably would have been fired after 1 year.  Just Morris getting fired would have been a huge upgrade.  Plus, they'd have had the first pick in 2010 and gotten Bradford.  Now, in 2009 instead of drafting Freeman, while I had no major preference, because I knew Crabtree wasn't going to make it to us, but I favored Maclin and Nicks.  I'm very offensive minded.  I think many people here remember me talking about Dez and Blackmon the last 2 years.  I was ok with Talib in '08, but I think I liked Mendanhall that year.  I do remember saying to friends "I just don't want that Forte guy".  Oops.  I know I wanted Bowe in '07.  There aren't many years that go by where a WR isn't my favorite pick.

You would  feel more confident had we Bradford on our team now? So we are talking about Freeman being able to be better than BRADFORD? ....interesting
While you settle for a QB like Braford, i want a guy like Rodgers and Luck, and guess what both got drafted when their team either had the #1 or #2 all time passer under contact.

To put things in perspective, i want lineman EVERY year, i hate RBs or WR early (altough DM seems to make me reconsider this a bit).

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#640 : December 10, 2012, 04:03:11 PM

Hey, if that's what you think, then I encourage you to feel that way.  If I were a blind supporter of Freeman, I'd do the same thing.  The kid does NOT deserve an extension.  Give him next year, but that's it.  Put up or get out after 2013.

I asked already before, but what is your plan to get a great QB. What if Freeman has another season like this? Who will be our QB in 2014 and after. If he is great, i have no problem with, but setting this franchise back to square 1 on its search for a elite QB, while watching the next R Leaf, M Sanchez, M Cassell or B Leftwich suck it up more than Freeman can ever do, i will have a problem with.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#641 : December 10, 2012, 04:09:33 PM

Maybe Donovan McNabb can be coaxed out of rtirement.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#642 : December 10, 2012, 04:10:08 PM

Good grief. Bradford?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#643 : December 10, 2012, 04:13:07 PM

Maybe Donovan McNabb can be coaxed out of rtirement.

lolz

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#644 : December 10, 2012, 04:27:00 PM

You can compare him to anybody that you want. Fact is hes putting up one of the best seasons in Franchise history for a QB. Thats FRANCHISE HISTORY!! They are gonna give him EVERY chance to succeed guys. Its hard for the people in that building to ask, What if the defense were better? I think they feel that if defense gets better then the team will get better. Freeman will look better too. Its no secret that when the team wins he looks good but when we lose its on him. Its been said so many times but its a team game. If one thing isnt working it makes the whole team look bad. Vice versa. They will look to improve the team around him before they even think about getting a new starting QB.
Page: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools