Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 82

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#690 : December 11, 2012, 08:28:45 AM

I think the best thing to do is draft the highest rated QB on our board in the 2nd or 3rd round, and then let Freeman play out 2013 and see how it plays out. If he is the same ol' up and down player next year then we have a 2nd year guy ready to jump in and take over in 2014. If the light comes on for Freeman and he is great all year, we give him a new deal and then we also have a solid back up. Having a solid back up is worth a spending a 2nd or 3rd now a days anyways, so it's win/win.

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#691 : December 11, 2012, 08:39:46 AM

Or a #1 and a #2. . A team like  KC would be all over the chance to get him.

Won't happen , but just sayin...

so would the a trade of freeman, to his hometown chiefs, and receive say jarvis jones and zach ertz be enticing?  assuming we pick up a alex smith/matt flynn/etc?  dangerous, but intriguing i believe.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#692 : December 11, 2012, 08:43:36 AM

I think the best thing to do is draft the highest rated QB on our board in the 2nd or 3rd round, and then let Freeman play out 2013 and see how it plays out. If he is the same ol' up and down player next year then we have a 2nd year guy ready to jump in and take over in 2014. If the light comes on for Freeman and he is great all year, we give him a new deal and then we also have a solid back up. Having a solid back up is worth a spending a 2nd or 3rd now a days anyways, so it's win/win.

win/win? only if Freeman turns out to be great, which many doubt here, OR we find a great one else where within next two offseasons.
what if #5 gets injured, aka no gained knowledge about him?
what if #5 remains just good next year? Brees/Rivers? What if the 2nd/3rd rounder is worse?
else we are forced to franchise tag a mediocre QB, or atleast get him an extension under those circumstance, which wont come cheap nor short, or forced to start an unknown 2nd/3rd rounder or forced to waste another 1st rounder on a guy just as much of gamble.
sounds like lose/lose to me.

Even trading Freeman NOW would be better than this hope for the better and risk the next few years of this franchise.

Soul Bro

Pro Bowler
#693 : December 11, 2012, 08:46:30 AM

so would the a trade of freeman, to his hometown chiefs, and receive say jarvis jones and zach ertz be enticing?  assuming we pick up a alex smith/matt flynn/etc?  dangerous, but intriguing i believe.

Very interesting, GT. 

Soul Bro

Pro Bowler
#694 : December 11, 2012, 09:00:46 AM

With this article highlighting the QB needy teams, http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1301688.0.html, I've just swallowed a QB sobriety pill.  I'm not opposed to keeping Free into his last year AND securing a capable backup.  If he grows up and becomes more consistent, we simply tag him or give him a big deal in '14. 

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#695 : December 11, 2012, 09:01:15 AM

We'd have been better off right now if they didn't draft Freeman in '09, LOL.  They'd have gone 0-16 that year and Morris probably would have been fired after 1 year.  Just Morris getting fired would have been a huge upgrade.  Plus, they'd have had the first pick in 2010 and gotten Bradford.  Now, in 2009 instead of drafting Freeman, while I had no major preference, because I knew Crabtree wasn't going to make it to us, but I favored Maclin and Nicks.  I'm very offensive minded.  I think many people here remember me talking about Dez and Blackmon the last 2 years.  I was ok with Talib in '08, but I think I liked Mendanhall that year.  I do remember saying to friends "I just don't want that Forte guy".  Oops.  I know I wanted Bowe in '07.  There aren't many years that go by where a WR isn't my favorite pick.

You would  feel more confident had we Bradford on our team now? So we are talking about Freeman being able to be better than BRADFORD? ....interesting
While you settle for a QB like Braford, i want a guy like Rodgers and Luck, and guess what both got drafted when their team either had the #1 or #2 all time passer under contact.

To put things in perspective, i want lineman EVERY year, i hate RBs or WR early (altough DM seems to make me reconsider this a bit).

Don't get me started on Dominik!!

As for Bradford, yes.  I'd rather have Bradford then and now over Freeman.  He raises the level of the talent around him.  It's not his fault that other than Jackson, there isn't any legitimate NFL talent around him.  Freeman has limitations... he CAN'T make all the throws.  He's very poor at the underneath passes and he very inacurate.  Bradford is much better at both of those.

I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't rather have Luck or Rodgers, but Luck wasn't available and Rodgers wasn't a lock.  If teams thought he was, he wouldn't have fell to #25.  The Packers took a shot at him because they knew they had 2-3 years to groom him.  He might not have had the same success elsewhere.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#696 : December 11, 2012, 09:05:42 AM

Hey, if that's what you think, then I encourage you to feel that way.  If I were a blind supporter of Freeman, I'd do the same thing.  The kid does NOT deserve an extension.  Give him next year, but that's it.  Put up or get out after 2013.

I asked already before, but what is your plan to get a great QB. What if Freeman has another season like this? Who will be our QB in 2014 and after. If he is great, i have no problem with, but setting this franchise back to square 1 on its search for a elite QB, while watching the next R Leaf, M Sanchez, M Cassell or B Leftwich suck it up more than Freeman can ever do, i will have a problem with.

I'm fine with going into the draft.  My thinking is that this offseason, there will be a lot of movement on the defensive side of the ball.  If that's the case and Freeman still hasn't improved, in 2014 I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of solid QB prospects in the draft.  He'll come into a good situation and be able to hit the ground running.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#697 : December 11, 2012, 09:07:05 AM

So if you give credit to Cutler for going 7-9 and 8-8 with bad defenses, doesn't Freeman deserve the same credit for going 10-6 and probably 8-8 this season with bad defenses?

If you're watching Freeman play, it's obvious he isn't carrying anyone.  Besides, I've seen nothing of the last 3 weeks that tells me that they're going to beat anyone left on their schedule.  Granted, one of Cutler's years they had the 3rd easiest schedule, but the year before he had the 9th hardest.  Freeman's two best years are the 3rd easiest schedule and 7th easiest... the latter being on a team with a lot more offensive help than what Cutler had and still couldn't generate a .500 record.  This is a passing league.  You don't need a good defense to win games.  Of the 8 teams in the NFL with 9 wins or more, only 3 of them have a top 10 defense in terms of yards... half are in the top 10 in points against.  A good defense is a plus, but it's not a necessity.  Coincidentally, 6 teams have a QB who rank in the top 10 in completion percentage.
It's unbelievable the lengths you will create double standards.

Hey, if that's what you think, then I encourage you to feel that way.  If I were a blind supporter of Freeman, I'd do the same thing.  The kid does NOT deserve an extension.  Give him next year, but that's it.  Put up or get out after 2013.
Maybe Donovan McNabb can be coaxed out of rtirement.

I wouldn't be upset with the 2008/2009 version of McNabb as a stop-gap, just like in 2008/2009.  But in 2012/13... well, he is better than Freeman, but still not good enough.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#698 : December 11, 2012, 09:08:29 AM

You can compare him to anybody that you want. Fact is hes putting up one of the best seasons in Franchise history for a QB. Thats FRANCHISE HISTORY!! They are gonna give him EVERY chance to succeed guys. Its hard for the people in that building to ask, What if the defense were better? I think they feel that if defense gets better then the team will get better. Freeman will look better too. Its no secret that when the team wins he looks good but when we lose its on him. Its been said so many times but its a team game. If one thing isnt working it makes the whole team look bad. Vice versa. They will look to improve the team around him before they even think about getting a new starting QB.

No one really is arguing that.  The question is about an extension.  Some are saying yes... some are saying no.  He's still here next year no matter what.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#699 : December 11, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

The QB play in the Dallas, Denver, and Philly games was absolutely gut-wrenching. Saw two of them personally which made it worse. I needed a heavy dose of pepto afterwards. If we give this guy an extension, we might as well be pouring the concrete around our ankles and readying to jump into deep water.

Not much out there as far as alternatives bro.       Matt Flynn?  Alex Smith?    No thanks.

Horrible alternatives. But I'd rather have them than Tebow.

I wouldn't mind Alex Smith, but would only be if Freeman weren't under contract next season.  No need to replace Freeman now, just not extend him.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#700 : December 11, 2012, 09:21:50 AM

I would do this in a heartbeat!  I haven't really dove into the draft that much, so I really don't know what's out there... but based on years past, if the Chiefs wanted to part with the #1 pick for Freeman, I assume we'd be able to trade down and get more picks... maybe even a #1 in 2014 too.  With the new rookie salaray structure, stockpiling picks is a great thing.  Adding to that, possibly getting Alex Smith would be gold.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#701 : December 11, 2012, 09:27:44 AM

VERY intriguing!!! 

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#702 : December 11, 2012, 09:32:28 AM

Rodgers wasn't a lock.  If teams thought he was, he wouldn't have fell to #25.  The Packers took a shot at him because they knew they had 2-3 years to groom him.

and this is what Freeman gives us AT WORST, a shot at taking a shot on a guy we like, rather than being to forced to get one NOW, beside his own ability to solve the problem.

And if you really have issues seeing Freeman as someone atleast being ABLE to be better than Bradford, i can't help you. No matter how bad Freeman might be, Bradford still has a good chance to be worse. I wont doubt his huge upside, but you seem to ignore Freemans, beside the stabilty he brings to this team and its hunt on a great QB, whether it will be Freeman or someone else.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#703 : December 11, 2012, 09:38:26 AM

Rodgers wasn't a lock.  If teams thought he was, he wouldn't have fell to #25.  The Packers took a shot at him because they knew they had 2-3 years to groom him.

and this is what Freeman gives us AT WORST, a shot at taking a shot on a guy we like, rather than being to forced to get one NOW, beside his own ability to solve the problem.

And if you really have issues seeing Freeman as someone atleast being ABLE to be better than Bradford, i can't help you. No matter how bad Freeman might be, Bradford still has a good chance to be worse. I wont doubt his huge upside, but you seem to ignore Freemans, beside the stabilty he brings to this team and its hunt on a great QB, whether it will be Freeman or someone else.

That's why I have NEVER ONCE said to dump Freeman now.  I've always maintained from my initial post that we let Freeman ride out his contract.  I've even said we may need to franchise him for 1 more year.

Bradford has more / better upside because Freeman can do only 2 things, throw a deep ball and dump offs.  Outside of that he struggles... a lot.  In less time with just as poor coaching, Bradford has shown that he can throw the deep ball, the underneath passes, go through progressions, and hit the outlets.  All that while being behind a terrible offensive line.  Freeman's isn't the greatest and hasn't been, but they've been better than Bradford's.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#704 : December 11, 2012, 09:51:25 AM

That's why I have NEVER ONCE said to dump Freeman now.  I've always maintained from my initial post that we let Freeman ride out his contract.  I've even said we may need to franchise him for 1 more year.

Bradford has more / better upside because Freeman can do only 2 things, throw a deep ball and dump offs.  Outside of that he struggles... a lot.  In less time with just as poor coaching, Bradford has shown that he can throw the deep ball, the underneath passes, go through progressions, and hit the outlets.  All that while being behind a terrible offensive line.  Freeman's isn't the greatest and hasn't been, but they've been better than Bradford's.

But why franchise tag a just good QB? Forced to do so.
Page: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools