Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#15 : December 06, 2012, 03:03:55 PM

I hate the idea of gfetting rid of kickoffs, but if they are going to do it this is the best possible solution. I think penalties that occur on these plays should not equate automatic first downs though. Either way, this rule would drastically alter the game.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#16 : December 06, 2012, 03:06:56 PM

"It would be just another step towards doing away with any and all physicality in the game."

The emphasis on the passing game has resulted in more collisions between players going at full speed, which is probably one of the main culprits in increased concussions. The other is larger players moving at higher velocity. Velocity x mass = force of impact.

The game is more physical now than it's ever been.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Ironworker808

Second String

#17 : December 06, 2012, 03:07:50 PM

Quote from: youngone
Would P.I. still give the offensive team an automatic first in the scenario?
I think so honestly. Even scarier, defensive holding which if I recall correctly was a 5 yard penalty, could give them an automatic first down. The idea is really growing on me, because whenever an onside kick is going to occur and the other team knows it coming, there isn't much of a chance of recovery.
For the chance of getting the ball back I like it but who wouldn't be scared to go for it on 4 and 15 against a bad unit like our secondary? If that was this year, freeman would never see the ball.

Your premise is flawed.

Very flawed.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 06, 2012, 03:17:20 PM

"It would be just another step towards doing away with any and all physicality in the game."

The emphasis on the passing game has resulted in more collisions between players going at full speed, which is probably one of the main culprits in increased concussions. The other is larger players moving at higher velocity. Velocity x mass = force of impact.

The game is more physical now than it's ever been.
That's only because the defenders are "happily" paying the fines they get for making those hits, plus they know a fine is coming so might as well get their moneys worth.
Once they get sick of paying and play the way Goodell wants those hits will be gone too.
I never said it the multi step plan was a quick one.

Soon DBs will be nothing more than doormen to the endzone.
"Going to the endzone sir, please allow me to show you the way."
The only way to get a turnover will be when some defender tries to be smart and offer to carry the ball for them, and then a dummy like Vince Young hands it over.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 06, 2012, 03:28:01 PM

Well the idea of the big hit on the crossing route has to go away. Jarring the ball loose will be becuase you hit the ball, not because you hit the guy. The only problem I have is that these helmet to helmet penalties and hitting of defenseless receiver penalties is how it's called with such inconsistency. Some very obvious calls are ignored and some calls where no penalty should be called are called and are game changers.
: December 06, 2012, 03:30:05 PM BucNY

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 06, 2012, 07:55:51 PM

First heard this on the 6:00 news. Actually makes a lot of sense. The current kickoff is a non-event when not returned, and dangerous to player safety when returned. Running a 4th and 15 from the 30 which fails would give the opponent the ball in FG range immediately. Risky; I doubt anyone with a lead would do it, even New England. From the 40, they might, as it's out of range for MOST FG kickers, so not an automatic giveaway if it fails... Have to say I like it!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 06, 2012, 08:55:46 PM

I think it sounds stupid as hell.

The game has had kickoffs for 100 years.   We look forward to the kickoff , it's signifys the start of the game we love . It's exciting . We have "kickoff parties". We say "kickoff at 1:00" .  Can you imagine saying "4th and 15 at 1:00 . " ? It seems utterly ridiculous to delete them from the game .
: December 06, 2012, 08:58:14 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 06, 2012, 09:25:07 PM

In a pass-happy league. This is a bad idea.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#23 : December 07, 2012, 01:19:57 AM

Do the Patriots actually convert 4th and 15 one hundred percent of the time? Why I'm incredulous.

With our secondary, if they're playing us they certainly could.

blueovals14

Practice Squad
#24 : December 07, 2012, 05:49:05 AM

When are fans gonna wake up? Goodell is doing nothing but ruining the game. He wants an outside version of arena football. First he completely strips defense right out of the game, then you get fined if you hit someone to hard, now kill special teams. 1/3 of the game. This fool is a joke. The days of hard hitting smashmouth football are gone forever. Everyone of us who have played know the risks. There is risk in everyday life. Im a roofer and do you think the law will mandate airbags on the ground if I fall off and get a boo boo. Lets have millionaire players play flag football and give them all superbowl rings. This way even a 2-14 team feels important and no longer has the drive to succeed. Welcome to Obamas America NFL Style 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 07, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

This is the dumbest crap ever.   It would ruin yet another part of the game that we hold sacred.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 07, 2012, 06:49:11 AM

Greg Schiano wants to scrap kickoffs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano may have ruffled some feathers by telling his defense to try to bust through victory formations, but his vision for the future of the game is being well received in one important area.

NFL commissioner Roger Godell told Time Magazine about a proposal to eliminate kickoffs and said the idea was brought up by Schiano, who is in his first season with the Bucs.

Rather than kicking off, a team would get the ball at its own 30-yard line and face a fourth-and-15 situation. The team could punt or go for it. If a team went for it and failed, the opponent would be in excellent field position.

We all know Goodell has been making a lot of noise about player safety in recent years and Im glad to hear hes at least listening to Schiano, who has a pretty good perspective on the dangers of kickoffs.

When Schiano was coaching at Rutgers in 2010, one of his players (Eric LeGrand) was paralyzed in a collision on a kickoff. Schiano has remained very close to LeGrand, who was signed by the Bucs as a symbolic gesture in the spring.

Schiano seems passionate about the idea of the NFL eliminating kickoffs. You can read more about his plan in this October story from ESPN The Magazine.

"I believe that day will come," Schiano said. "Unfortunately, it will probably take more players being seriously hurt. But I think there's another way to do this."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/42698/greg-schiano-wants-to-scrap-kickoffs

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 07, 2012, 06:54:20 AM

Unfortunately, it will probably take more players being seriously hurt.

So true.

blueovals14

Practice Squad
#28 : December 07, 2012, 07:15:58 AM

Ya but NASCAR has pussified as well, Im all for safety but not at the risk of ruining sports...Damn whining liberals,

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#29 : December 07, 2012, 07:22:30 AM

great idea. PI is still in effect when you fake punt and throw...why would it not be in effect here? All the same rules apply. The reason our guys are getting flagged is they are not turning their heads back to the ball...they are just running straight ahead with the receiver...its what the refs are seeing...and its a no-brainer
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools