Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#30 : December 07, 2012, 07:25:38 AM

Quite frankly this is a dumb idea. If you want to make kickoffs safer you can implement safety without having to resort to stupid ideas like this. The easy way to make kickoffs safer:

1:) Kickoff from the 10 yard line
2:) Opposing team has to be 5 yards away from the line of kickoff (apart from returner)
3:) Players are not allowed to touch each other until they pass half way (thus reducing players racing towards each other at speed)
4:) blocking can only take place within 5 yards of the returner, thus removing players hitting each other on the other side of the pitch where no play is taking place.

The only danger at kickoffs is the players recklessly throwing themselves at each other at speed, eliminate that aspect of the kickoff and it becomes safer already. The only drawback is that onside kicks may suffer.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#31 : December 07, 2012, 07:30:57 AM

quite frankly that is a dumb idea^^^. That many rules will lead to multiple violations every single kickoff. Slow the game down monumentally. AND make me turn my TV off for good.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#32 : December 07, 2012, 07:38:26 AM

And we don't already get enough violations on kick offs as it stands? on most kickoffs you can see holding and blocking in the back and it just depends on the refs if they call it or not, how many kick offs have we seen come back because of a hold or a block in the back this year? Quite a few, so don't give me that multiple violations crap as we have it already.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 07, 2012, 07:53:43 AM

4th and 25 would be more closer to the odds of converting an onsides kick. Teams with elite QB's can pickup 4th and 15 more often than makes this a good rule.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 07, 2012, 07:55:11 AM

What happens if a player on the touchdown play or the extra point draws a personal foul? Usually that's enforced on the kickoff. So would that mean they wouldnt have to go 15 yards?

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#35 : December 07, 2012, 07:57:25 AM

And we don't already get enough violations on kick offs as it stands? on most kickoffs you can see holding and blocking in the back and it just depends on the refs if they call it or not, how many kick offs have we seen come back because of a hold or a block in the back this year? Quite a few, so don't give me that multiple violations crap as we have it already.
=======================================================================================================
if youre not going to enforce these rules (or simply ignore violators) then of what benefit are they to player safety? Whats the point?

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 07, 2012, 08:23:44 AM

I think it's just another nail in the league's coffin. They are having trouble selling tickets as it is.

Everyone understands about safety....but where do we draw the line? We ban kickoffs now, then what? We ban the next play that causes the most injuries? We can keep going and going until there is no more game left to take away.

They keep this up, fans will continue to lose interest.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 07, 2012, 08:41:26 AM

Just watch, this will only be the start of it, soon they will do away with punt too.
Somewhere in the near future the rules for Roger Goodells NFL (official name change) will change to the following...
#1 The away team decides if they want the ball to start the 1st or 2nd half, whoever goes 1st simply gets the ball at their own 35 yard line.
#2 They get as many downs to score as they need.
#3 If there is a "turnover" it simply means the team with the ball has to try again.
#4 If the score is not even at the end of the game the team with the lower score is simply awarded points to make it a draw.
#5 To make a tackle you have to PLACE a sticker that states "terribly sorry but I just tackled you, please forgive me" on the offensive player without impeeding their progress, any defender found to be slapping stickers on will be automatically ejected and banned for life.
#6 The playoffs are expanded to 32 teams and all 32 make the Super Bowl which has been changed to an end of season participation award ceremony.

God I hope the name this New York Madame drops is Goodell, if she really must ruin a life at least let some good come from it.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 07, 2012, 08:52:30 AM

Ideally I'd like to just keep the kick off, but I think behind closed doors it has already been decided that the Kick off is on it's way out.....so with that in mind, I like this idea. I would tweak a couple of things though.

First, if a team in going for it, then that is basically replacing the onside kick. The odds on converting a 4th and 15 is far greater than the odds of recovering an onside kick. So I'd say make it 4th and 20 instead of 15. You really need to make it a long shot, and quite frankly 15 yards is not difficult for many teams to pick up regularly. 20 is a bit more of a stretch and seems like a more realistic trade off.

Secondly, most of the time teams will not go for it and will simply kick as they normally would. When they do this punt instead of kick, there would need to be some sort of stipulation in place that has the defending team 5 yards off the LoS or something. There is no reason to allow a possible block in that situation. If the team isn't going for a conversion, and simply wants to kick the ball off after a score, they should be able to punt without any fear of a block. If we are punting instead of kicking now, the team needs to be able to just concentrate on booting it as far as he can and getting down field. Blocking these punts should be taken out of the equation.

Ironworker808

Second String

#39 : December 07, 2012, 09:12:07 AM

If you're not allowing the kick to be blocked, then you can't line up in a punt formation and NOT kick it either.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 07, 2012, 09:23:24 AM

If you're not allowing the kick to be blocked, then you can't line up in a punt formation and NOT kick it either.

Absolutely. If your elect to punt, it has to be a punt. No trickery at that point.

With the defense all lined up 5 yards off the line though, they won't be able to block even if they tried, and with only five yards of separation between the offense and defense, there still would be no huge collisions...which is the whole point of doing away with the kick off.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#41 : December 07, 2012, 09:44:45 AM

Personally, I think if they want to do away with the kickoff, just start the other team off at the 20 on offense.   No chance for the team that just scored to get the ball back - it goes automatically to the other team after the score.   

But why get rid of kickoffs anyway?   They are fun.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 07, 2012, 10:11:02 AM

With the previous rule change, not many kickoffs have been returned, or returned for a decent amount of yards. I would prefer this than the crap that we have now.

I doubt many people would go for 4th and 15 even if it's teams like the Saints and Packers with good offenses. It does favour them, but it's not as if they would go for it unless they had to.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#43 : December 07, 2012, 10:16:26 AM

I doubt many people would go for 4th and 15

Only every team in the league whenever they need to try to get the ball back at the end of the game.   

spartan

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 07, 2012, 10:18:48 AM

When they say punt, I think they are talking more along the lines of a kick after a safely. You won't have the chance of a block.

Now, I would like to know how they would facilitate the likes of a surprise onside kick?
: December 07, 2012, 10:21:13 AM spartan
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools