Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 07, 2012, 10:47:06 AM

I doubt many people would go for 4th and 15

Only every team in the league whenever they need to try to get the ball back at the end of the game.   

Well no different than current onside kicks then.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#46 : December 07, 2012, 10:52:16 AM

Exactly.   Except that it would be about 100 times easier to make a 4th and 15 than to recover an onsides kick.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#47 : December 07, 2012, 11:04:32 AM

Exactly.   Except that it would be about 100 times easier to make a 4th and 15 than to recover an onsides kick.

It isn't though, it's pretty much the same 20% odds.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#48 : December 07, 2012, 03:13:18 PM

I think when you factor in Pass Interference, the odds of converting a 4th and 15 are much greater than recovering an onside kick.

gone

Hall of Famer
#49 : December 07, 2012, 03:34:25 PM

I hate the idea.  And I hate the "player safety first" mindset that drives it.  I can see over the top safety rules for amateur leagues like college, but these cats are getting paid millions and know the risks.  They want the risks cut down, but still get to keep their millions.  That isn't going to last for long.  Once it gets too wussified people are going to stop watching and the dollars will start to dry up.   And frankly, the game isn't THAT dangerous.  There are plenty of other high risk occupations but those aren't in the media to the extent the league is (and the media just loves an "emotional story" to drive their ratings with) so they don't get the candy ass drama 24/7.

It's going happen eventually, the football giant will go the way of the dog track.  It's just a question of what drives the fall.  Hell, take a look at stadium attendance and you can see it's already started, many people are oversaturated.  Too many people got sucked in that weren't really that interested and now they are just very casual now.  I feel pretty sure the rule changes we've been seeing are going to be a big part of why that fall happens.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#50 : December 07, 2012, 03:43:59 PM

In his presser earlier today, Schiano said his discussion with Goodell actually took place before he became the Bucs' HC; still at Rutgers. Both he, for obvious reasons, and Goodell shared the same safety concerns. Schiano said the "4th and 15" part was just a thought, and figures the NFL will come up with better exact details as to how it would work. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#51 : December 07, 2012, 04:41:03 PM

Maybe instead of over time, we should just do Paper, Rock, Scissors.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#52 : December 07, 2012, 05:25:23 PM

I think when you factor in Pass Interference, the odds of converting a 4th and 15 are much greater than recovering an onside kick.

I think they already are better even without factoring that in. You can convert a 4th and 15 with skill or a good play call. An onsides kick is pure luck of the bounce.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 07, 2012, 05:37:06 PM

No, no; we want a COIN FLIP; Economos has been awesome this year!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#54 : December 07, 2012, 05:40:56 PM

It should be a dance off . Loser getting the ball on 3rd and 7.5 yards.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

indiana76buc

Second String

#55 : December 07, 2012, 05:48:31 PM

i dont like this idea and im tired of goodell wussifying the nfl i dont want to watch flag football

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#56 : December 07, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

And keep in mind the cost to the NFL of getting health insurance for these guys. Lack of "adequate safety precautions" will drive up insurance costs, ya' know...  ;)

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#57 : December 08, 2012, 12:27:40 AM

I bet Schiano never envisioned having a defense as bad as his is now when he suggested this.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#58 : December 08, 2012, 08:53:58 PM

It should be a dance off . Loser getting the ball on 3rd and 7.5 yards.
Lol good idea
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: League Considering Replacing Kickoff with 4th and 15 from the 30? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools