Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lean Business Plan « previous next »
Page: 1

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

ę : December 06, 2012, 10:09:29 PM Ľ

In Praise of the Lean Business Plan
by Tim Berry, Guest Blogger

Confession: I wish Iíd come up with the term lean startup. I love the term and, for that matter, the idea behind it. Credit for that goes to Eric Ries, author of the book The Lean Startup, and Steve Blank, blogger, entrepreneur, and sometimes professor (at Stanford and Berkeley both, no less, which I guess is also a feat) whoís adapted it and popularized it along with Eric.  If youíre curious, here is the Wikipedia definition:

ďThe Lean Startup Ö relies on validated learning, scientific experimentation, and iterative product releases to shorten product development cycles, measure progress, and gain valuable customer feedback. In this way, companies, especially startups, can design their products or services to meet the demands of their customer base without requiring large amounts of initial funding or expensive product launches.Ē

I also wish Iíd named my last book The Lean Business Plan instead of The Plan-As-You-Go Business Plan. Jerry Calmes, then the publisher at Entrepreneur Press, and his marketing team and my marketing team at Palo Alto Software and I spent weeks trying to find a title that described my revised sense of business planning, which is very much in tune with the ideas behind the lean startup: keep it small, expect it to change, review and revise often, use it to steer and manage your business. Plan-as-you-go was the best we could come up with. We would have loved the lean business plan if it had occurred to us.

The sense of flexibility, rapid change and iteration in the lean startup makes perfect sense with business planning too. Both startups and business plans need to reflect the rapid change in business landscape as technology advances.

Regardless of the name or label, business planning has in fact changed in recent years. It has become leaner and more agile. The long-winded formal business plan is obsolete. Nobody should postpone business in the name of developing a business plan. No business plan should be long-winded or formal. And any realistic useful business plan is obsolete in a few weeks.

As military leader and former president Dwight Eisenhower once said: ďThe plan is useless. But planning is essential.Ē

Here are some tips for adopting lean business planning (even if I call it plan-as-you go) for your business. And this is for your business, regardless of whether or not you need a plan document to take to a bank or show potential investors. This is for running your business better:

The first and most essential component of the plan is the review schedule. Set up a set day of the month for taking an hour or two and reviewing the plan, looking at actual results and comparing them to the plan, and revising as necessary.

Always list assumptions. The best way to tell whether you need to change a plan or stick to a plan is to look at whether assumptions have changed. In todayís world, the assumptions change quickly. When assumptions change, the plan has to change.

Keep it short, simple and just big enough. Itís not a text. Itís a loosely related collection of modules. Use bullets and donít sweat the style, format or editing. It can live on your computer in different files for different components. Spreadsheets are great for financial projections, bullet points for strategy and focus, and lists for tasks and responsibilities and metrics and milestones.

Keep it focused on its business purpose. For most of us, itís about managing better, as in breaking long-term goals into meaningful steps and defining metrics and tracking results. In some special cases, itís for communicating with outsiders. If itís not a document for bankers or investors, donít waste time making it pretty. Donít waste time writing out what everybody in the company already knows.

Always include milestones. Those are specific lists of what is supposed to happen and when, how much it costs or brings in, and who is responsible for it.

Always include basic numbers. Cash flow is the life-blood of the business and you canít afford not to plan and manage for cash. In practice, it takes projected sales, costs, expenses, assets, liabilities and capital to predict cash.

And thatís what you can call a lean business plan. Donít ever expect to finish it, because when the planís finished, your business is finished.  And donít expect it to be right, because management isnít about guessing right, but rather knowing how and in what direction you guessed wrong and how to correct.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

spartan

Hall of Famer
ę #1 : December 06, 2012, 10:45:15 PM Ľ

Pretty old hat really, ever heard of Agile or Scrum?

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

ę #2 : December 06, 2012, 11:28:12 PM Ľ

Pretty old hat really, ever heard of Agile or Scrum?
They're not even related.? The thread is about business management, although what you posted is useful in it's own right
ę : December 06, 2012, 11:30:53 PM wreck ship Ľ

spartan

Hall of Famer
ę #3 : December 07, 2012, 08:28:08 AM Ľ

I understand what you mean, but I used those 2 as quick examples of how businesses have been directing towards short sharp, immediate impact type models with immediate results as well as "the longer picture" type scenarios for quite some time. Especially in this economic environment where people simply do not have the money to project too far into the future.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

ę #4 : December 07, 2012, 09:13:59 AM Ľ

Yea I agree. I just like this business model b/c there are actual business support grous across the country that are enthusiastic about entrepreneurship.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lean Business Plan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools