Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martin insists he hasn't hit rookie wall « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 07, 2012, 12:18:05 AM

Bucs' Martin insists he hasn't hit rookie wall

CLIFF McBRIDE/STAFF
Martin has been held to 106 yards on 39 carries - a 2.7-yards-per carry average - during the past two games.

By ROY CUMMINGS| The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 06, 2012

TAMPA --

If that theoretical rookie wall really does exist, Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie running back Doug Martin has yet to run into it. At least, he doesn't feel as if he has.

A 1,000-yard rusher through his first 10 games, Martin has been held to 106 yards on 39 carries - a 2.7-yards-per carry average - during the past two contests. He swears, though, that fatigue is not the problem.

"That stuff about the rookie wall, I don't feel that at all," Martin said this week as he prepared for Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Raymond James Stadium. "My body feels great and my mind is clear.''

Martin acknowledged that he has had "two rough weeks," but he believes additional film study and more attention to detail will take care of any concerns. Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan agrees.

"I don't see him struggling at all," said Sullivan, who attributed Martin's 56-yard output a week ago against Denver as largely a result of the Bucs' need to throw the ball throughout the second half.

"In fact, I see Doug continuing to get stronger," Sullivan added. "I don't see him hitting a wall. I think he's right on track and we're going to continue to move forward and get him in positions to make plays."

The more Martin moves forward, the more the chances increase that he will indeed reach a point where fatigue will start to affect his game. In fact, that point may not be too far ahead.

Martin never played in more than 13 games during his time at Boise State, where his single-season workload topped out a year ago with 263 carries and 28 pass receptions, or 291 total touches.

Martin will play in his 13th game against the Eagles, and with 236 carries and 32 pass receptions already he is fast approaching a personal single-season high for touches.

Martin is convinced, though, he can regain the stride that made him a Rookie of the Year candidate simply by putting in a little more work, particularly off the field.

"It has been a rough couple of weeks," he acknowledged, "but all we need to do is get back in the film room, tweak some things and pay a little more attention to detail like we were and we'll be just fine."

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 07, 2012, 01:31:01 AM

He hasn't.

It's mostly because of two tissues. They are watching for the run more now than ever, and he's playing alongside a makeshift oline.

Teams have seen us gash huge chucks of yardage with Martin, so obviously the natural response is to have one or two guys keep an eye out for him at all times, or just stack the box and hope free doesn't have a field day. No matter what, martin has to be accounted for in the oppositions game planning.People have been saying for awhile now that freeman is the end all answer and everything depends on him. Well, in schiano's mind, everything revolves around his #1 runningback. If he plays well, more likely than not, Tampa will win.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 07, 2012, 02:30:03 PM

I'd suspect it's more about teams putting better defensive schemes along the LOS vs our makeshift O'line than they did initially. To me, it's miraculous they've done as well as they have. I really thought our run game would be toast after Nicks went down...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martin insists he hasn't hit rookie wall « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools