Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW.......Bucs believe McCoy should be beating double-teams a bit more « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 08, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »

Bucs' pass rush coming up short.

Dan Parr.....ProFootballWeekly

dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor

Posted Dec. 07, 2012 @ 2:52 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

When DE Adrian Clayborn — the Buccaneers’ most productive pass rusher in 2011 — was placed on injured reserve in September, the Bucs knew that offenses would be able to direct more of their attention to protecting against the remaining top pass rushers on the team.

DT Gerald McCoy and DE Michael Bennett have faced more double-teams and chip help with Clayborn sidelined, and defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan has struggled to find ways to spark the pass rush minus Clayborn.

The Bucs recorded seven sacks in the first three games of the season, before Clayborn suffered his season ending knee injury in the fourth quarter of Tampa Bay’s Week Three game at Dallas. The Bucs have recorded only 11 sacks in the nine games since then.

We’re told the Bucs believe their coverage in the back end is at least as much of a reason for the defense’s struggles vs. the pass this season as the front end. However, we also hear that the club believes that McCoy — the third overall pick in 2010 draft — should be beating double-teams a bit more than he has this season. McCoy recorded all three of his sacks in this season's first three games, when Clayborn was healthy.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 08, 2012, 10:33:06 PM »

McCoy isn't worthy of his draft status, but he should be one of the last to blame.

The system being played requires twists and stunts, which pretty much kill his quickness at the line IMHO. Which again, happens to be his strong point. The injury issue doesn't bug me, as plenty of tackles are making plays with only one other worthy guy on the line or in some cases, by themselves. McCoy is another case of a player struggling against the system. He even suggested as much at one point. So far, I haven't actually witnessed one particular time he went into the oppositions backfield unabated down the middle.

Every second counts on the defensive line. You have one of the more quick-twitch DT's in the game, yet he's deligated to wasting a half a second doing some type of manuver that hasn't worked 100's of times before? I'm all for losing a run or two if the line can get to the QB once in awhile. McCoy should be running directly at the QB for at least 1/4 the of the game IMO. Let miller have clean up duties vs the run.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 08, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

How could this be ?? Buggs and Chace say he is dominating ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 08, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »

He hasn't dominated since week 3.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 08, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »

I don't understand how people say a DT gets double teamed more because of issues at DE. When DT's get double teamed, they're blocked by a G and the C. When DE's get double teamed, they're blocked by the OT and then a TE, RB, or FB. It's extremely rare a G helps double team a DE, at least against a 4-man front. No matter who is playing DE for the Bucs, the opposing offensive line has two G's and one C to block McCoy and whoever else is playing DT. Nothing changed with Clayborn's injury.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #5 : December 08, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »

Maybe I'm looking at things with rose-colored glasses (I usually do), but he seems to at least push his blockers back and play most downs on the offensive side of the LOS.   That makes me think he needs to work on his hands to finish the deal.  If he hasn't already, he should try MMA training in the offseason.  He hasn't lived up to his draft status, but I'm not ready to completely write him off as he does make a few impact plays against the pass and run each game. 

This article does make me wonder what Clayborn would add to this defense as the season wore on and he learned the system.  I was one of his supporters before he was drafted, and I can't wait to see him healthy.

watson

Hall of Famer
« #6 : December 09, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »

I don't understand how people say a DT gets double teamed more because of issues at DE. When DT's get double teamed, they're blocked by a G and the C. When DE's get double teamed, they're blocked by the OT and then a TE, RB, or FB. It's extremely rare a G helps double team a DE, at least against a 4-man front. No matter who is playing DE for the Bucs, the opposing offensive line has two G's and one C to block McCoy and whoever else is playing DT. Nothing changed with Clayborn's injury.
FRG,
I agree with your thoughts.  To me the difference is that a player of Clayborn's caliber tends to make the QB step up in the pocket and that puts him in the path of the DT.  I don't think it was so much Clayborn's taking away the double teams as it was him causing the step up. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 09, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »

Agreed, but if you expect your DT to be getting most of the sacks and pressures, it's time to get some new DEs and work on a scheme to get LBs better sack opportunities. A guy like David really should have like 5 sacks a season just based on his speed.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 09, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »

Dude was beastly today...too bad Barron can't cover for sh*t.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 09, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »

He actually had a pretty good game today.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 09, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »

McCoy brought it today....even after getting injured....it was encouraging....the secondary.....not so much.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 09, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »

He did play well today ....until the 4th quarter when we needed him most ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 09, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

Your kind of a glass half empty kind of guy.      SMH

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 09, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

Ah, the thought process of a simpleton.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #14 : December 09, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

Your kind of a glass half empty kind of guy.      SMH

Ya think?? LOL
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFW.......Bucs believe McCoy should be beating double-teams a bit more « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools