Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's Timeout Hurt « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

: December 09, 2012, 06:51:17 PM

When the Eagles spiked the ball with 2 seconds left, they were confused and you can look at the replay.

Then we call timeout, Foles goes over to Andy Reid and Andy looks like "I don't believe he did that."

He is getting his coahes together, and it looks like Macklin says something to him maybe like, " Number 29 can't cover the quick out, I can get him".

They come back and go right for that play, they knew where they were going!

Schiano gave them time to get it together. Don't get me wrong, Johnson has to make that play but with a team scrambling like that, with a rookie QB...I don't know if I would have called the TO.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : December 09, 2012, 06:53:24 PM

I agree

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#2 : December 09, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

It's a tough spot.  Gerald McCoy was pissed when they called the TO.

I say call the timeout to make sure your guys are ready. It would have been worse if guy was wide open and Schiano had not called a TO with 3 remaining.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#3 : December 09, 2012, 06:57:38 PM

I say call the timeout to make sure your guys are ready. It would have been worse if guy was wide open and Schiano had not called a TO with 3 remaining.

Isn't that what happened anyway. He looked open to me, so how did the timeout work out?

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#4 : December 09, 2012, 07:59:35 PM

Isn't that what happened anyway. He looked open to me, so how did the timeout work out?

Man to man coverage on Maclin by an undrafted free agent happened.  The two yard line is tough because running the ball became an option.  I thought it was a great call by the Eagles considering we had been beat by quick slants in the last couple games.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 09, 2012, 09:12:59 PM

You don't ever, unless the defense is so tired they can't stand up, give an offense time to regroup. That's what a playclock is for.

It's one rule that is still in place that is all on the offense. Basically, Schiano gave them time to get their playcall right. Bad call.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 09, 2012, 09:31:30 PM

Schottenheimer wouldn't be making all these "rookie" mistakes.
We'd be a Playoff Team.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 09, 2012, 09:37:29 PM

Man to man coverage on Maclin by an undrafted free agent happened.  The two yard line is tough because running the ball became an option.  I thought it was a great call by the Eagles considering we had been beat by quick slants in the last couple games.

That great call was from the Eagles thinking about it during the timeout, you can bank on that. It will be interesting to see what Andy Reid says about that.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 09, 2012, 10:32:38 PM

I agree.  Several coaching miscues in my opinion and the team looked generally lost overall at times today.   The too many men on the field penalty when they were trying to spike the ball really pissed me off

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 09, 2012, 10:35:14 PM

I think the OP is presuming the Buc knew what they wanted to do on D. I would think all things equal you would rather go with prepared D against prepared O, but I certainly get the point that it relieved immediate pressure

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 09, 2012, 10:40:11 PM

They should know what they want to do. 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 09, 2012, 10:43:17 PM

They should know what they want to do.

just like the Eagles right?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 09, 2012, 10:46:55 PM

sure

but, the defense does not know any more about what the offense is going to do by calling timeout, they still have to read and react.  the offense can take the time to discuss what they think will work best when they have a timeout. otherwise they just have to call the play and role with it.   no doubt that advantage goes to the offense in that situation.  not even debatable.

gillen033

Starter

#13 : December 09, 2012, 10:47:16 PM

I think with a veteran defense it's a no brainer, but when you consider the youth on this defense, the fact that our players had made several mistakes on that last drive already, and the fact that they have made several mistakes at the end of games earlier in the season, it's not as clear. As Ronde said, the called defense should have been able to stop that play, so it's not as if they outwitted us. There's a reason we're the 32nd ranked pass defense. Better luck next year.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 09, 2012, 10:49:47 PM

I think with a veteran defense it's a no brainer, but when you consider the youth on this defense, the fact that our players had made several mistakes on that last drive already, and the fact that they have made several mistakes at the end of games earlier in the season, it's not as clear. As Ronde said, the called defense should have been able to stop that play, so it's not as if they outwitted us. There's a reason we're the 32nd ranked pass defense. Better luck next year.

true, that being said calling timeout doesn't make our dbs suck any less.  it just gave them a chance to talk to the back up QB to make sure they all were on the same page.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's Timeout Hurt « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools