Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have the 14th pick right now. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

jeanclaud

Starter

#15 : December 10, 2012, 01:09:53 PM

Eric Wright is likely gone

I don't see that at all. Wright wasn't an All-Star but he's clearly better than LJ or Biggers. His pick-6 against the Giants was one of the most impressive plays of this year for us. Not to mention he was hobbled a bit even when he did play with his injuries. We desperately need a #1 corner and I hope we bring in 2 or 3 guys to fill that spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if EW is a starter next year.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 10, 2012, 01:16:50 PM

I don't see that at all. Wright wasn't an All-Star but he's clearly better than LJ or Biggers. His pick-6 against the Giants was one of the most impressive plays of this year for us. Not to mention he was hobbled a bit even when he did play with his injuries. We desperately need a #1 corner and I hope we bring in 2 or 3 guys to fill that spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if EW is a starter next year.

The question is the contract amount. We know that right now, due to the suspension, his contract is no longer guarenteed. But if the Bucs make the next bonus payment or he is on the roster again at the start of the season next year, is the contract once again guarneteed. As in, is this only a one time out for Tampa? If so, for the money part alone, I think Wright is gone. But I would not be suprised to see the Bucs rework his contract, for lesser money and an easy out and keep him.

Wright has been hobbled, but he has never been a star CB either. Either way, he is not a #1 and we certainly need a #1.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 10, 2012, 01:17:22 PM

As much as I hate to throw in the towel, you guys are right. They would benefit from the better draft position right now than anything. They need to add talent to that defense. Sign a few more guys and maybe a new DC. They arent too far away but they gotta upgrade to get there. Should be another interesting offseason.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 10, 2012, 01:17:47 PM

Why is it so hard for fans to realize the draft more of a gamble than an end to all means.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 10, 2012, 01:35:59 PM

This team needs to learn to take punches and finish strong. That's a lot more important than 5-10 spots in the draft.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 10, 2012, 01:44:25 PM

I think CB has to be built through the draft. Good CBs cost too much in free agency. We'll easily burn through the cap if we try to rebuild the secondary that way.

Disagree. Who was the last CB to come in through the draft and make a big difference for their team in the first 2 years. Even Revis took 3 or 4. We need guys who can play now. I'd be happy with either Cromartie.

Well Revis wasn't "Revis Island" in year one, but he was awfully good as a rookie, and in his second year he was in the Pro Bowl.

Devin McCourty may not be playing like it now, but he made second team All-Pro as a rookie and had 7 picks, 1 sack, 2 FF, and 17 pdf. Joe Haden made an instant impact for the Browns, and had 6 picks. Brandon Flowers was good right away as well.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#21 : December 10, 2012, 01:46:00 PM

I really hope Wright is gone, just due to his off the field antics.  Don't forget his next suspension would be for a year.  At the very least, he would need to renegotiate his contract for a much lower number against the cap.

The good thing about this draft is there is a lot of D-line talent at the top, if we don't go CB in the 1st.  We may be in a position to pick or trade up for one of the top DE's (Werner, Moore, Jordan, Ansah) to add more consistent pass rush, or DT's (Lotulelei, Richardson, Hankins) to pair with McCoy.  We could always look to pick up one of the other CB's (Banks, Rhodes, Ryan) in the 2nd.

2goodbucs

Starter
#22 : December 10, 2012, 01:47:21 PM

I'm not a draft expert but Manti Te'o seems like a sure pick to replace Quincy Black. Maybe Dominick can do his special magic again & get another 1st to grab a CB. I don't know what CB would be worth a pick at the end of the 1st though.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 10, 2012, 01:47:26 PM

I have a hard time imagining the team won't have two new cornerbacks getting significant playing time next season.  I don't think addressing the position this offseason has to be a draft OR free agency sort of thing.  I mean, two free agent corners would likely not be particularly cap friendly.  But I also have a hard time getting excited about the idea of having two rookies back there.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 10, 2012, 01:59:54 PM

I have a hard time imagining the team won't have two new cornerbacks getting significant playing time next season.  I don't think addressing the position this offseason has to be a draft OR free agency sort of thing.  I mean, two free agent corners would likely not be particularly cap friendly.  But I also have a hard time getting excited about the idea of having two rookies back there.

It can be done, provided the pieces are good. Bill Walsh started 3 rookies in the secondary in '81, plus a third year safety - those 4 players had 23 picks combined. Of course, the corners were Ronnie Lott (yes, he started as a corner), Eric Wright (the good one), and they had Dwight Hicks and Carlton Williamson at S. Lott was the 8th pick over all, Wright 40th, and Williamson was 65th. Hicks was a free agent they found who was out of football after a year with the Toronto Argonaughts and was stocking food at a health food store.

I'm not saying that we are going to find a Hall of Famer easily, but that's what you do when the secondary sucks - you put all your focus into it.

JohnBuc06

Starter
#25 : December 10, 2012, 02:04:32 PM

The question is the contract amount. We know that right now, due to the suspension, his contract is no longer guarenteed. But if the Bucs make the next bonus payment or he is on the roster again at the start of the season next year, is the contract once again guarneteed. As in, is this only a one time out for Tampa? If so, for the money part alone, I think Wright is gone. But I would not be suprised to see the Bucs rework his contract, for lesser money and an easy out and keep him.

Wright has been hobbled, but he has never been a star CB either. Either way, he is not a #1 and we certainly need a #1.

I'm so bitter at Wright and Talib right now as I feel their stupidity really hurt this team that I wouldn't want Wright back.  Dump him like Talib and use that money for another FA CB.  As you stated he's not a #1 guy anyway so he doesn't deserve that money.  I'd rather us get a solid #1 guy, even one on the back end of his career but can still play for a couple of seasons while we groom our obvious drafted CB(s).

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 10, 2012, 02:06:55 PM

Eric Wright (the good one)
This made me laugh.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#27 : December 10, 2012, 02:53:10 PM

Would like Bucs to finish w/ a winning season - currently they've lost three in a row. Would hate to see that extended just for draft position.
x2

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#28 : December 10, 2012, 02:54:04 PM

I would be surprised if Wright is not on the team next year

geetech84

Starter

#29 : December 10, 2012, 03:35:13 PM

If E.Write takes a pay cut next year, then keep him..But if he doesn't, then Buc's should cut him..he is not worth the money he got..There are better CB's next year in FA.. Brent Grimes,Tracy Porter, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie,Derek Cox,Sean Smith...

I still think in the 1st round, Buc's need to take a pass rush/run. DT.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have the 14th pick right now. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools