Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1st down analysis. Just Pound the Rock! « previous next »
Page: 1

usfrob22

Practice Squad

: December 10, 2012, 11:58:13 AM

In my opinion, the Bucs biggest troubles on offense this year have come from trying to get too cute one 1st. Freeman is what he is, a big arm QB who can make some amazing throws but struggles to complete 60% of his passes.  With that said I did a quick analysis of our 1st down playcalling yesterday

12 passes - Josh Freeman 4-12 for 13 yards (included sack yardage from the 1 time he was dropped)
12 run - Doug Martin 12 carries for 57 yards (4.8 ypc). Did not include the fumbled exchange in this stat

Having Freeman throw as much as we do on 1st down is a recipe for disaster. Setting ourselves in 2nd and manageable should be a priority, it gives us a lot of options to use our various weapons. I'd like to see 75% runs on 1st down and working in the occasional playaction to keep them honest. This 50/50 split is not a winning formula for this team.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 10, 2012, 12:13:58 PM

Good stats, but Freeman's 4-12 on first down is on Freeman.  He might not be a 65% guy, but he won't be in the league long if he's a 33% (4-12) guy.  He had an awful, awful day.  It happens.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1st down analysis. Just Pound the Rock! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools