Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano:.... Laws of football didn't hold up vs. Eagles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 10, 2012, 11:49:12 PM »

Schiano: Laws of football didn't hold up vs. Eagles

They won the turnover battle, protected the football, shut down the run and out-rushed their opponent. In fact, about the only place the Bucs didn't get the best of the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday was on the scoreboard in a 23-21 defeat.

For the fourth time this season, the Bucs' defense blew a lead in the fourth quarter with missed assignments, penalties and wasted opportunities.

Despite that record of late failures, coach Greg Schiano said he would take his chances again and allow his defense to try and close out the game.

Leading 21-16 and facing third-and-8 with 2:55 remaining in the game and the Eagles with one timeout, Schiano played it safe with a running play to Doug Martin that failed to gain a yard.

After a 31 yard punt by Michael Koenen, Eagles rookie quarterback Nick Foles led his team 64 yards in 13 plays and tossed a game-winning touchdown to receiver Jeremy Maclin as time expired Sunday.

Did Schiano's decision to try and win the game on defense reflect a lack of confidence in quarterback Josh Freeman?

"No it’s none of that,'' Schiano said Monday. "If it were the same situation in another game, I might have chose to do it differently. But in that game, rookie quarterback on the other side, where we were on the field, our punter – all things I believe to be true and are true – again that’s why I say we went against the rules or the laws of football, didn’t hold up there. The things I’m counting on that are going to happen and they didn’t. Would I change it? Well, if I  knew the result beforehand I probably would today, I probably would. But you put me on that spot again, I don’t think, because that’s what I thought the right thing to do was and not risk it.

“It’s not a lack of confidence in anybody. But a tipped ball and their on the 35-40 yard line....I would rather put the onus on them to have to do it with no timeouts.  But it didn’t all play out the way I thought. Now there’s a 30-yard punt, once the return is made, the vision changes.''

The Bucs' defense had breakdowns throughout the game. Safety Mark Barron had one coverage best to set up an Eagles touchdown and linebacker Lavonte David lost containment on Foles' 10-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

“I think when you focus on making plays is exactly when you don’t make plays,'' Schiano said. "Focus on doing your job and plays come to you, the game comes to you. That’s what we believe around here. So we’ve got to do a better job of that. Certainly, personnel is part of the issue and coaching is part of the issue.''

Posted by Rick Stroud at 4:04:13 pm on December 10, 2012

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 11, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »

shut down the run and out-rushed their opponent

Those "laws of football" were re-written about 25 years ago

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 11, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »

What law says to run it out and let the defense (who couldn't stop a backup the first three quarters, allowed every QB to have 300 yard games no matter who they were, and are generally lacking depth/talent) try to stop them on the last drive?

I always thought rule number one was "go with the hot hand?" Obviously the offense, although not great, was much more active and productive. That game, and the rest of the season. That was arguably the most important game of the season, and Schiano believes the defense should've held them off? Whatever happened to letting the playmakers make...well, plays? He goes for fourth with 10 mins to go in some games, but when it's playoffs directly on the line, he doesn't?

Schiano was wrong. He may not ever believe he was, but he was. You DON'T give their offense time to formulate a plan, and you DON'T sit back and openly allow them to control/dictate what side of the ball they're on.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #3 : December 11, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »

"Despite that record of late failures, coach Greg Schiano said he would take his chances again and allow his defense to try and close out the game"

If he still hasn't learned by now he's a **CENSORED**ing idiot.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 11, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »

"Despite that record of late failures, coach Greg Schiano said he would take his chances again and allow his defense to try and close out the game"

That's the bullheaded problem that everyone was worried about with Schiano when he was hired.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but if he REALLY would do THAT all over again, ..we need a new HC.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 11, 2012, 02:13:19 AM »

A rookie QB who had been shredding your defense since the 2nd quarter.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 11, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »

A rookie QB who had been shredding your defense since the 2nd quarter.

To be fair, the kid has 4 games under his belt...A lot of experiance there.  ::)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 11, 2012, 02:21:20 AM »

Amen

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 11, 2012, 02:23:09 AM »

Oh my god.

GET AGGRESSIVE SCHIANO YOU PIECE OF SHEET

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 11, 2012, 02:37:42 AM »

Very disappointing, hopefully he doesn't trust his defense the rest of the year. However, there is a very fine line. Because a lot of these guys will be here for years to come and need to have confidence in themselves if they ever want to succeed.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 11, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »

rookie QB win on regular base since about 25 yeasrs ago? tipped pass are a just a myth of the past? Letting your opponent effortlessly run over you is the new way to win?

Thing is even an inexperienced rookie can score on this defense having 4 downs to work with. Some things never change, play to your strengths and not your weaknesses, and pass defense, pass rush, closeing out games on defense apparently is not.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 11, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »

The average rushing defense yields about 4 yards per carry. The average pass defense yields about 7 yards per pass attempt. It's obviously doing us no good to make teams completely abandon the plays that only get them 4 yards to call the plays that get them 7 yards every time. We can't sell out to stop the run this much. We have to give opponents at least some chance of running the ball so they don't pass for 400 yards every game.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 11, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »

That's the bullheaded problem that everyone was worried about with Schiano when he was hired.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but if he REALLY would do THAT all over again, ..we need a new HC.

Agreed. I don't mind doing that with less time and a much better secondary. But not with what he was facing on Sunday. Horrible.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 11, 2012, 08:52:10 AM »

The average rushing defense yields about 4 yards per carry. The average pass defense yields about 7 yards per pass attempt. It's obviously doing us no good to make teams completely abandon the plays that only get them 4 yards to call the plays that get them 7 yards every time. We can't sell out to stop the run this much. We have to give opponents at least some chance of running the ball so they don't pass for 400 yards every game.

i think changes are needed, but im not wrapped up in yardage.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 11, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »

Agreed. I don't mind doing that with less time and a much better secondary. But not with what he was facing on Sunday. Horrible.
There was some game Morris said the exact same thing while fielding a similarly inept defense in 2009. I can't remember if it was the first Carolina game or against Miami.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano:.... Laws of football didn't hold up vs. Eagles « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools