Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano:.... Laws of football didn't hold up vs. Eagles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 11, 2012, 08:57:49 AM

maybe he's attempting to teach his defense how to close out late close games.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 11, 2012, 09:34:55 AM

Good point. There is undoubtably a whole lot of evaluating by the coaching staff going on with an eye towards next season. Rookie lessons being learned too...

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 11, 2012, 09:40:27 AM

It was 3rd and 8. Not 4th and 8. What they ran was a give up play.

Lets be real. He played it too conservative and it heavily contributed in us losing that game.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 11, 2012, 09:50:41 AM

Yes, but... if we properly execute a simple punt on 4th down, that strategy would've been fine... Instead our normally extraordinarily good punter hits a rare shank, putting Philly in striking distance.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 11, 2012, 10:06:56 AM

Ehh. It's not like they got the ball in Bucs territory. starting at your own 36 yard line isn't exactly striking distance. IMO.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#20 : December 11, 2012, 10:30:28 AM

How can you complain about Freeman, then ask the coach to throw it?  Some people have no logic.

The reality is it was the right decision considering the odds. The defense didn't get the job done, point blank.

A couple huge miscues at the end cost the game, not a damn third and 8. What the heck was our 3rd down conversion percentage for the game let alone a third and long in our territory.

What we should be discussing is why our punter had a bad game (nobody mentions the complete muffed kickoff).  We should be discussing who blew the coverage on the last drive around midfield. We should be discussing why LJ couldn't stop a play that every player has said they knew was coming.  We should be discussing why we can't hold a rookie QB out of the end zone on a long drive with no timeouts.

Blaming Schiano for not going for it on third and 8 with the current Josh Freeman at the helm is comical.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 11, 2012, 11:11:31 AM

How can you complain about Freeman, then ask the coach to throw it?  Some people have no logic.

The reality is it was the right decision considering the odds. The defense didn't get the job done, point blank.

A couple huge miscues at the end cost the game, not a damn third and 8. What the heck was our 3rd down conversion percentage for the game let alone a third and long in our territory.

What we should be discussing is why our punter had a bad game (nobody mentions the complete muffed kickoff).  We should be discussing who blew the coverage on the last drive around midfield. We should be discussing why LJ couldn't stop a play that every player has said they knew was coming.  We should be discussing why we can't hold a rookie QB out of the end zone on a long drive with no timeouts.

Blaming Schiano for not going for it on third and 8 with the current Josh Freeman at the helm is comical.

It was a give up play. They could at least have tried to be creative with the opportunity. Hell, try a screen pass. If it isn't there then you tell Freeman just to throw it at the backs feet and then you punt it.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a muffed kickoff. I wasn't on the field or anything, but my guess is that was a called squib kick, since they did that a few times during the game....for whatever reason.

Everything that you bring up here IS being talked about, just in other threads. The 3rd and 8 call is one of the many contributing factors of why we lost Sunday.
: December 11, 2012, 11:14:23 AM chace1986

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 11, 2012, 11:13:30 AM

What we should be discussing is why our punter had a bad game (nobody mentions the complete muffed kickoff). 

he was probably worn out from all the punting he did in the first half.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 11, 2012, 11:40:12 AM

No it isn't.   You can run a high percentage pass play that gives you a shot such as a screen or quick slant pass

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 11, 2012, 11:41:45 AM

Ehh. It's not like they got the ball in Bucs territory. starting at your own 36 yard line isn't exactly striking distance. IMO.

There's a big difference from starting at your own 10 and your own 36 in that situation.  Especially with a rookie at the helm.   That's why we made him the highest paid punter and he deserves much grief for the piss poor punt.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 11, 2012, 11:44:26 AM

"Despite that record of late failures, coach Greg Schiano said he would take his chances again and allow his defense to try and close out the game"

If he still hasn't learned by now he's a **CENSORED**ing idiot.

+1

Fool me once... shame on you.

Fool me 4X and I'm a __________ .

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 11, 2012, 11:47:55 AM

The problem with the call is our DB personnel sucks and the coaching on that side of the ball is questionable.  Hopefully that improves big time before next season.  If we can't hold a lead in that situation with a back up qb, rb, te, and no #1 wr, then we have much bigger issues.

I don't like the call given the state of our pass defense, but I'd hope we address the issues and are able to execute it next time/season.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 11, 2012, 11:51:33 AM

Actually, saying the 3rd and 8 play call was the right play is comical.

a) This is one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen.

b) Only a few minutes earlier did Schiano watch them get torched by Foles on the previous drive.

c) Your best player on the TEAM IS VJAX, an offensive player, not a defensive player. Your paying this guy a lot of money and he was having a great game.

d) Next...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 11, 2012, 11:52:27 AM

No it isn't.   You can run a high percentage pass play that gives you a shot such as a screen or quick slant pass

if a team isnt blitzing or selling out, is the screen really a high percentage play?  slant pass probably, but i still wouldnt call it high percentage.

i do agree that a pass play is the more aggressive, probably a better call.  but its not the end all imo.  pinning a rookie QB deep with no timeouts is a legitimate option.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 11, 2012, 11:55:46 AM

Your pass D is the weakest unit on the team X10 and you put the game in their hands?! Brilliant.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano:.... Laws of football didn't hold up vs. Eagles « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools