Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE BO JACKSON LEGEND AND THE BUCCANEER CONNECTION « previous next »
Page: 1 2

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
: December 11, 2012, 04:13:55 PM

ESPN debuted a new 30 For 30 film on Saturday night chronicling the life of former pro athlete Bo Jackson. The former No. 1 overall pick of the Bucs never played a down of football in Tampa and the film touches on the 1986 decision by Jackson to not sign in with the Bucs. Pewter Report spoke to Jackson about his decision, and also received a reaction from Hugh Culverhouse Jr.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=8608:&Itemid=15

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 11, 2012, 05:43:28 PM

Sounds intriguing; will try and catch it on the deuce.
    Bo may need to more careful throwing out accusations; I doubt he can prove Mr. C planned this alleged "scheme"... Let it go, Bo...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 11, 2012, 06:53:45 PM

Sounds intriguing; will try and catch it on the deuce.
    Bo may need to more careful throwing out accusations; I doubt he can prove Mr. C planned this alleged "scheme"... Let it go, Bo...

I was just relieved to hear he didn't refuse us because we sucked and becoming a Buc was an embarrassment...which is what I always thought.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 11, 2012, 07:40:18 PM

Bo Jackson could've potentially been one of the great football players in history.  No question.  But as it stands, he's the most overrated player of all time, and I really don't think there's a close second.

There are people who'd elect him to the Hall of Fame, or claim that if Jackson hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be a major record holder.

Let's look at the facts:

- Jackson played four years (38 games) in the NFL.
- He averaged 696 rush yards per season, and 73 per game.
- He never ran for 1,000 yards in a season.
- He never ran for more than 5 touchdowns in a season.
- He never ranked in the top-10 in any major statistical category.

So why put him in the Hall of Fame?  Why's he even in the discussion?  Because of his highlight tape?  He's known for doing three things: scoring two 90+ yard touchdowns, and running over Brian Bosworth.  The first 90+ yarder came against the 1987 Seahawks, who had -- far-and-away -- the worst rushing defense in the NFL that season.  The second one came two years later, against the Bengals, who also bottomed out on the rush defense charts.

And running over Brian Bosworth?  No great feat.  It seemed like it happened once a game, regardless of Seattle's opponent.

Bo Jackson is lauded for his superhuman athleticism, his brand, and some anecdotal feats of strength (running up the outfield wall; breaking a bat over his head; etc).  No one disputes his physical talent.  But a few spotty highlights and a catchy slogan don't land a player in the Hall of Fame.  Production does, and Bo's resume is almost non-existent.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 11, 2012, 07:47:35 PM

I saw the show the other night.  Lets just say, Hugh Culverhouse shouldn't expect a Christmas card from Bo anytime soon.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 11, 2012, 08:31:47 PM

What a fantastic documentary...he explained why he did not come to the Bucs.  It made total sense and I do not blame him for doing what he did.  Hell...he even warned the Bucs what he planned on doing.

For those who did not see it...the Bucs wanted to fly him down to see Tampa and its facilities.  The Bucs TOLD Jackson it was cleared through the NCAA.  It was not.  They lied to him and he was ruled ineligible for the remainder of his outstanding baseball season.  Supposedly it cost him a first round pick.  Bo theorized that Culverhouse did it on purpose to get him ruled ineligible.  They were afraid he might go play pro baseball.

We all know about the Red Elephants...George Wallace.  Hugh was a scumbag.  Anyone disagree? 

Even my father who saw it, realized what had happened after all these years...what a shame.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 11, 2012, 08:36:59 PM

Hugh Culverhouse was a cheapskate and a crappy owner, but I wouldn't call him a scumbag.  He did a lot for charities in the area, and his family has continued to be local fixtures of generosity for children and the underprivileged in the Tampa Bay area.

And honestly, as the article states, Bo was the most revered athlete in the world after he won the Heisman trophy.  He doesn't just "visit" Tampa, Florida without someone... someone... telling him that it violates his amateur status.  There's more to the story, I think.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 11, 2012, 09:00:37 PM

Hugh Culverhouse was a cheapskate and a crappy owner, but I wouldn't call him a scumbag.  He did a lot for charities in the area, and his family has continued to be local fixtures of generosity for children and the underprivileged in the Tampa Bay area.

And honestly, as the article states, Bo was the most revered athlete in the world after he won the Heisman trophy.  He doesn't just "visit" Tampa, Florida without someone... someone... telling him that it violates his amateur status.  There's more to the story, I think.

Huh...why would he lie?  Seriously?  It makes complete sense.  They were worried he would go play baseball.  They torpoedoed his baseball season.  Coincidence?  Huge was a scumbag and treated african american athletes like second class citizens.  You think he was pals with ole George Wallace and they didn't share some beliefs.  Man people are so naive.  DUDE WAS A SCUMBAG!!!!

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 11, 2012, 09:08:53 PM

Huh...why would he lie?  Seriously?  It makes complete sense.  They were worried he would go play baseball.  They torpoedoed his baseball season.  Coincidence?  Huge was a scumbag and treated african american athletes like second class citizens.  You think he was pals with ole George Wallace and they didn't share some beliefs.  Man people are so naive.  DUDE WAS A SCUMBAG!!!!

Cheap yes,womanizer, yes, scumbag, up for interpretation. Racist? I don't believe so. He drafted Doug Williams in the 70's a very unpopular move, and make no mistake he signed off on draft picks.. Too many people assume that any older gregarious white guy from Alabama with a southern drawl has a plantation owner mentality and is a racist.  Was he perfect no, but I don't think it is fair to make these assumptions. As far as cheap goes, Hugh Jr. told me he was so tight that he always flew coach, and only used frequent flyer miles. I have a hundred other stories from Hugh Jr. That guys should write a book.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 11, 2012, 09:09:13 PM

probably so, but Bo Jackson seems pretty adamant that Bucs officials told him it was a legal trip.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 11, 2012, 09:45:13 PM

Why would Bo lie?  Because he'd look like a complete dumbass otherwise.  And Bo was having a terrible baseball season before he voided his eligibility.  He was batting .246.  It's not like baseball clubs were climbing over one another for a chance to draft him, like NFL teams were.  Sabotaging his senior season, in all likelihood, did very little to his draft status.

probably so, but Bo Jackson seems pretty adamant that Bucs officials told him it was a legal trip.

If that was the case, I'd be more inclined to believe that the Buccaneer representative, whoever it might've been, was simply unclear in his or her understanding of the rules.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 11, 2012, 10:26:46 PM

Why would Bo lie?  Because he'd look like a complete dumbass otherwise.  And Bo was having a terrible baseball season before he voided his eligibility.  He was batting .246.  It's not like baseball clubs were climbing over one another for a chance to draft him, like NFL teams were.  Sabotaging his senior season, in all likelihood, did very little to his draft status.

If that was the case, I'd be more inclined to believe that the Buccaneer representative, whoever it might've been, was simply unclear in his or her understanding of the rules.

.246?  WHAT???  YOu are full of **CENSORED** dude....MULTIPLE SITES...

College baseballJackson batted .401 with 17 home runs and 43 RBI in 1985. In a 1985 baseball game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Foley Field in Athens, Georgia, Jackson led Auburn to victory with a 4-for-5 performance, with three home runs and a double.

Unless you know something we don't Bo told the truth in the 30 for 30 when he said he was batting .400 and crushing it.

YOU

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 11, 2012, 10:27:28 PM

are a f-ing liar...like Culverhouse...must be a relative...terrible?  Please share with us your misinformation.  You work for the Bucs?  LOL...another scumbag.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 11, 2012, 10:59:55 PM

are a f-ing liar...like Culverhouse...must be a relative...terrible?  Please share with us your misinformation.  You work for the Bucs?  LOL...another scumbag.

Did you just refer to a Wikipedia entry -- without a citation attached to it -- as "multiple websites?"

On July 14th, 1986, Sports Illustrated writer Douglas Looney wrote...

"... in the spring of '86, [Bo Jackson] played in 21 [games], hitting only .246, before losing his eligibility."

In the 30 for 30 documentary, Bo Jackson was referring to his junior season -- the season before he lost his eligibility, in which he was "hitting an impressive .401 while playing in 42 games."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065022/1/index.htm

Forgive this "f-ing liar" for actually taking the time to research his claims.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : December 11, 2012, 11:41:30 PM

I still think it was Doug Williams telling Bo Jackson not to come to Tampa that made up his mind not to come.    That private jet thing just sealed the deal.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE BO JACKSON LEGEND AND THE BUCCANEER CONNECTION « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools