Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan is not the problem with this defense « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 12, 2012, 12:21:11 PM

What scheme works well with a poor and/or inexperienced talent in the secondary?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 12, 2012, 12:22:05 PM

Personally, I like the aggressiveness of our D. The thing I can't figure out is how Schiano can be so aggressive on defense and so passive on offense.

We are passive on offense? Is that why we throw the ball deep so much?

Passive might not be the right word, but there are times, like the 3rd and 8 late in the game, where the offense was too conservative.

There have been several times that Schiano has opted to go the "safe" route.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 12, 2012, 12:24:30 PM

I don't disagree that we occasionally go conservative on a play call or a series, but it's a real stretch to call the offense as a whole "passive."

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#33 : December 12, 2012, 12:27:59 PM

Its not the amount of blitzes that are the problem, its the type of blitzes they are running. They are telegraphed and easy to read by the lineman, and also require unnecessary stunts by the D-line.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 12, 2012, 12:28:38 PM

I think our defense plays alright sometimes. You never know what will show up on defense. Still very hard to watch for the majority of time. I think Sheridans gotta go. They can do much better scheme and players wise. Schiano is gonna need to swallow some pride and admit he was wrong about this thing.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 12, 2012, 12:44:57 PM

What scheme works well with a poor and/or inexperienced talent in the secondary?

Just off the top of my head...

How about one where Maclin isn't allowed to run free and be WIDE OPEN by 10-15 yards.

How about one where we properly use our best DLmen.(which they actually did a good job of on Sunday).
http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1301260.msg1816231.html#msg1816231

How about one that doesn't drop 9 guys into coverage...

How about one that doesn't blitz safeties from 10+ yards away from the LOS when the ball is snapped. (Notice that the ball is already in Manning's hands...)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 12, 2012, 12:45:56 PM

I don't disagree that we occasionally go conservative on a play call or a series, but it's a real stretch to call the offense as a whole "passive."

Agreed.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 12, 2012, 12:54:05 PM

Chace, I'm not disagreeing with you on the examples (though I believe that one of them is a bust), but my point is blitz/no-blitz, 9 in coverage, 4 in coverage, man, zone - none of it seems to matter. We are get beat on all types of coverage. That's why everyone wants new CBs next year.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#38 : December 12, 2012, 12:58:03 PM

" Our number 1 and 2 CB have been traded or suspended. Our number 3 biggers has been hurt for most of the year and our IR is full of other CB of all kinds (drafted, FA, UDFA) So not Dominicks fault for injuries happening in the NFL."

Is it his fault that we weren't prepared for those injuries? Is it his fault that he brought in personnel who would need to be traded or suspended?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 12, 2012, 01:04:54 PM

Chace, I think you are misinterpreting that shot with Manning. Black is coming only because the back stayed into block. In other words, that's not a designed blitz, but a reaction to his man not going out in a pattern. .

From what I understand, that's a pretty standard.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 12, 2012, 01:05:18 PM

Chace, I'm not disagreeing with you on the examples (though I believe that one of them is a bust), but my point is blitz/no-blitz, 9 in coverage, 4 in coverage, man, zone - none of it seems to matter. We are get beat on all types of coverage. That's why everyone wants new CBs next year.

I think a lit more two deep safety looks would help out our corners tremendously.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 12, 2012, 01:19:53 PM

I think a lit more two deep safety looks would help out our corners tremendously.

Maybe - but I'd point out that in 2006, Gregg Williams (at the Skins then) was stuck with his second choice DBs in a lot of spots and used a lot more Cover-2 and Tampa-2 to help - this was the result (Washington Post):

"It may well be one reason why Williams's defense has struggled. Washington is 30th in giving up pass plays of 20 yards or more, and 29th in giving up pass plays of 40 yards or more."

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 12, 2012, 01:24:04 PM

Chace, I think you are misinterpreting that shot with Manning. Black is coming only because the back stayed into block. In other words, that's not a designed blitz, but a reaction to his man not going out in a pattern. .

From what I understand, that's a pretty standard.

I disagree. He takes off immediately on the snap.

Though for arguments sake, let's say you are right. Why would you have your safety come on a delayed blitz based upon what the back does, if you are already blitzing your two LBs? You essentially leave your undrafted rookie CB on an island against the Broncos best WR. Peyton Manning eats this kind of sh*t up.

Argument remains the same. Black had no chance to get there or influence Manning, and he was the 7th guy rushing in at the passer.

Dumb.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 12, 2012, 01:44:11 PM

Assuming I'm right -

he's a free man - his job is to handle the back, and the back is staying in to block. That means either Black blitzes or he just stands there.  That's pretty common.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 12, 2012, 02:11:48 PM

Assuming I'm right -

he's a free man - his job is to handle the back, and the back is staying in to block. That means either Black blitzes or he just stands there.  That's pretty common.

It's not common practice to bring 7 defenders on a pass rush.

Let me ask this.

Do you think it is smart to blitz a safety when 6 men are already rushing the passer(who is one of the best QBs of all time), and leave their best WR against our undrafted rookie CB with no help?

Either way you want to perceive it, Black should not have been brought on the blitz there, especially if he is back so far from the LOS. He is essentially rendered useless on the play. It's now the Bronchos 11 vs. the Bucs 10.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan is not the problem with this defense « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools