Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is what Dominik has assembled to defend against the NFL's elite QBs: « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 13, 2012, 03:17:03 PM

That plan wouldn't prevent us from getting Vjax or Nicks.

just for debate, how would you have gone about it?

Hindsight is going to affect this scenario, so I'm not sure how great the debate would be...but here goes. *cracks neck*

Ok, first day of FA.

Sign Vjax and Nicks. Done.

2nd/3rd days of FA.
Bring in both Aaron Ross and Tracy Porter. Both of them signed deals about a week into FA, so the early interest probably could have been enough to have them sign. Both of their salaries combined almost exactly equals what Eric Wright got.

Prior to the draft, Talib is traded for a late round pick. So he is out.

Draft.
We wont go into using the #5 pick, even though I feel that if we had stayed put, we still could have had Martin or David...but there is another thread for that discussion.
So #7 overall. I trade back. We wont go into exact compensation, but lets just say its for 2 later round picks and we slide back to the 13-15 range. When we finally pick, the selection is Dre Kirkpatrick.
After that, the Martin and David trade and picks go according to plan.
Finally, I use a combo of some of the newly acquired late round picks and the late round picks that were already in hand, and I trade back up to the top of the 4th round and select Frank Alexander, and I also do what it would have taken to get to mid the 120 range and select Safety Jerron McMillian

It's a lot of moving around and would probably leave us with no 5th 6th and 7th rounders, and maybe even minus a future late round pick or two.

So the CBs would have been Ross, Kirkpatrick, and Porter.
Safeties would be Barber, Black, and McMillan
Depth would be Biggers, Gaitor, and Johnson.

..and a decent rookie pass rusher was added as well.

There.
: December 13, 2012, 03:34:00 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#46 : December 13, 2012, 03:28:45 PM

agreed

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#47 : December 13, 2012, 03:56:54 PM

chace - thanks for the answer but if we brought in ross and porter i think our fanbase would be just as upset.  porter hasnt played all year and ross is part of a secondary as awful as ours...and many want to take a look at his partner cox.  i have no idea on kirkpatrick, but he's played less than porter.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#48 : December 13, 2012, 04:12:20 PM

chace - thanks for the answer but if we brought in ross and porter i think our fanbase would be just as upset.  porter hasnt played all year and ross is part of a secondary as awful as ours...and many want to take a look at his partner cox.  i have no idea on kirkpatrick, but he's played less than porter.

My opinion of bringing in Porter and Kirkpatrick is that, even though they have missed a lot of time, if they were in Tampa, they would have not been in the exact situations they were in when they got hurt. So I believe there is a good chance they would have been healthy most of the year. Just pure speculation, I know, but that is why I was ok with having them in this scenario. Ross would be a pretty good #2-#3 CB for us.

Yea, I'm not too concerned about how the fanbase feels about a move. That not how I judge whether we did the correct thing or not. I feel that this scenario would have helped this defense and big ways, though I do feel that scheme is still a big concern, so we would probably still be in the bottom half of the league in terms of pass defense...but this scenario could have helped generate W's against the Giants, the Saints, and the Eagles.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#49 : December 13, 2012, 04:13:02 PM

I think Ronde retires this year.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#50 : December 13, 2012, 05:09:50 PM

Amen. No matter how many losing seasons this team has under Mark Dominik there will be his legion of Rock Star sheep who will defend him to the end.

2009 - Losing season
2010 - Winning season
2011 - Losing season
2012 - ????

2013 cannot be a losing season no matter what happens the rest of 2012.

BTW, did you forget to take your meds again?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#51 : December 13, 2012, 05:13:57 PM

Probably so. Will need to go grab a S in the draft or FA this coming offseason.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#52 : December 13, 2012, 05:16:38 PM

Agreed.

Not sure if Ahmad Black is an ideal every-down FS as well...

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 14, 2012, 01:56:20 AM

Agreed.

I'm thinking Dom is going to have to double dip on CB's in the draft with how bad it will be after barber is gone.

They're going to have to make up for him being gone, as well as replace #1 and #2 corners. Wright is good as gone also, so that's another body that will have to be replaced.

But I believe Black (not too bad without help) and Barron would benefit greatly if even one of the CB's were worthy of being a #1 corner. That has to happen before Barron or anyone looks good back there continuously. The only reason Barber ever played well back there this season was because of his experience. Otherwise, he's having the same crappy season as the rest of the nobodies or rookies. A lot has to be done back there in the offseason. Especially since their won't be ol Barber to lean on.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#54 : December 14, 2012, 07:42:40 AM

Agreed.

I've been impressed with Black .

Benchwarmer makes a great point about the lack of any corner support whatsoever . Unfair to really judge these safeties until the corners are playing at an NFL level.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#55 : December 14, 2012, 10:33:08 PM

We, easily, have the worst 2 starting CBs in NFL history.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is what Dominik has assembled to defend against the NFL's elite QBs: « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools