Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering expanding playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
: December 12, 2012, 08:01:58 PM

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Wednesday after the December Special League Meeting in Dallas. The meeting was held in large part to discuss issues that will be raised with the NFL Competition Committee later, including the elimination of low blocks and the implementation of mandatory pads.

But Goodell mentioned one issue that is sure to draw the attention of most fans: Expanding the playoffs.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.

Goodell made it clear that the competition committee has considered such expansion in the past, and it clearly hasn't happened. The benefits of more playoff games are obvious: more teams involved in the race late in the season, and theoretically more television money.
We still don't like the idea.

Make the NFL playoffs feel like a true accomplishment. Only the best of the best make it, and even with 12 teams a mediocre squad or two usually makes it through (2010 Seattle Seahawks, anyone?). Allowing half the NFL to make the postseason would erode some of the special feeling of the NFL playoffs and reduce the importance of the regular season.

Fans would watch the games and the NFL knows it, but that doesn't mean it's in the best interests of the sport's long-term health.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110396/article/roger-goodell-nfl-considering-expanding-playoffs

I hope the league does not do this, I also hope they do not expand the regular season to 18 games.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 12, 2012, 08:04:16 PM

I would give a thumbs down.   If you dilute the playoffs any more, it defeats the purpose.  Like hockey, most everyone gets in.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 12, 2012, 08:52:48 PM

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing. Right now you have the 4 division winners and 2 wildcard teams from each conference, for a total of 6 teams from each conference. The first week pits the the bottom two division winners verse the two wildcard teams, while the top two division winners get the week off.

If they changed the 2 wildcard teams per conference to 4 wild card teams from each conference, all four of the division winners would get a bye week (which I like), and the four wildcard teams would play each other in the first week. Then in week two, the top two division winners would play the two wildcard winners, while the #3 and #4 division winners would play each other.

Week three, you'd have 6 teams left, three games.

Week four, you'd have three teams left....so the top seeded team would have to get a second week off, while the #2 and #3 team play.

Week five, the final two teams square off in the conference championship to see who goes to the Super Bowl.

If they did it this way it really wouldn't dilute anything because the Wildcard team still has to beat another Wildcard team before they even get the opportunity to play a division winner. All it really does is add a week to the playoffs, while rewarding all division winners and making it harder on wildcard teams. It also rewards the top team with a second bye week during the 5 week playoffs....which is big that late in the year.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 12, 2012, 08:53:43 PM

Hell no.  Why fix what is absolutely not broken?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 12, 2012, 08:57:23 PM

So TAMPA can get into the play-offs in our 9-7 season in 2012.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 12, 2012, 09:04:05 PM

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing. Right now you have the 4 division winners and 2 wildcard teams from each conference, for a total of 6 teams from each conference. The first week pits the the bottom two division winners verse the two wildcard teams, while the top two division winners get the week off.

If they changed the 2 wildcard teams per conference to 4 wild card teams from each conference, all four of the division winners would get a bye week (which I like), and the four wildcard teams would play each other in the first week. Then in week two, the top two division winners would play the two wildcard winners, while the #3 and #4 division winners would play each other.

Week three, you'd have 6 teams left, three games.

Week four, you'd have three teams left....so the top seeded team would have to get a second week off, while the #2 and #3 team play.

Week five, the final two teams square off in the conference championship to see who goes to the Super Bowl.

If they did it this way it really wouldn't dilute anything because the Wildcard team still has to beat another Wildcard team before they even get the opportunity to play a division winner. All it really does is add a week to the playoffs, while rewarding all division winners and making it harder on wildcard teams. It also rewards the top team with a second bye week during the 5 week playoffs....which is big that late in the year.

Wow, and if they expand the season to 18 games like they are talking about, we would be watching football into April.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 12, 2012, 09:17:40 PM

I think they'll do one or the other. I really doubt they extend the season and post season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 12, 2012, 09:19:04 PM

They are going to lose to the Saints.

I have a feeling that Brees is going to throw for around 400, and he will misfire on maybe 4 or 5 passes all day.  Might be the first blowout the Bucs suffer all year, to be honest.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 12, 2012, 09:24:52 PM

They are going to lose to the Saints.

I have a feeling that Brees is going to throw for around 400, and he will misfire on maybe 4 or 5 passes all day.  Might be the first blowout the Bucs suffer all year, to be honest.
Probably so. That pass Defense is horrific so it wouldn't surprise me. Think Mike Williams has a good game though and Doug Martin pads his stats.

Bucs finish 7-9 are in good position to land Xavier Rhodes.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 12, 2012, 09:43:05 PM

That is one humongous cornerback, but he is just what the Bucs need.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 12, 2012, 10:10:35 PM

I think they'll do one or the other. I really doubt they extend the season and post season.

True. I guess if it was one or the other, I would extend playoffs. I love playoff hockey because its such a long way to the cup and if anybody remembers the Stanley cup run here remembers that it was a long tough road but the end made it all the better. I kinda think it would be cool to see a lower seed team just on a streak and get to Super Bowl. Would make it all more interesting to me personally. I was never a huge fan of extending the reg season. Hey maybe it would make fans more interested in their team? If they extended playoffs, more chance of a team who usually would miss out could make the cut. I would think that would increase interest.

Jaggerace

Rookie

#11 : December 13, 2012, 12:22:42 AM

I just don't get Goodell.  On one hand he wants to make the game safer by moving the kickoff 5 yards forward to prevent kickoff return with full head on collisions, prohibit all low blocks, promote ridiculous fines and suspensions to players making "illegal" hits, etc.  Then he comes out saying he would like to extend the regular season by two games and now add more teams to the playoffs.  So how does that make the game safer????  Does this sound very contradictory to anyone?  Might as well play two hand touch with a nerf football.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 13, 2012, 12:25:40 AM

Dumb as sh*t if they add more playoff teams and go to 18 games.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 13, 2012, 12:49:18 AM

I hope the league does not do this, I also hope they do not expand the regular season to 18 games.

Yeah, cuz God forbid we can watch a little more football.

Dumb as sh*t if they add more playoff teams and go to 18 games.

Very doubtful they do both.

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 13, 2012, 12:51:18 AM

True. I guess if it was one or the other, I would extend playoffs. I love playoff hockey because its such a long way to the cup and if anybody remembers the Stanley cup run here remembers that it was a long tough road but the end made it all the better. I kinda think it would be cool to see a lower seed team just on a streak and get to Super Bowl. Would make it all more interesting to me personally. I was never a huge fan of extending the reg season. Hey maybe it would make fans more interested in their team? If they extended playoffs, more chance of a team who usually would miss out could make the cut. I would think that would increase interest.

I think the new format would lessen the likelihood of that happening.  And I would prefer for it to be that way.  Nothing worse than watching a crappy team get lucky in the playoffs and then get owned in the championship.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering expanding playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools