Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering expanding playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

pewterblood

Second String

#30 : December 15, 2012, 08:15:57 AM

This idea is crap. Only good teams that did well in the regular season deserve to be in the playoffs. Not only would this make the regular season lose even more value but just imaging a 7 or 8 seeded team winning the superbowl is a joke IMO.

danimal09

Starter

#31 : December 15, 2012, 08:20:47 AM

This makes the regular season less important and that sucks. Even though I would love to see the Bucs in more playoffs its not worth ruining the exciting nature of each regular season game. This would make the NFL like the NHL were the the regular season is a joke as half the teams make the playoffs. I love hockey but I never watch regular season games because they don't count.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 15, 2012, 08:56:12 AM

Why don't we just stop keeping score , give the entire league a minature lombardi trophy at the end of the year , and call it a day. It would improve player safety at least....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 15, 2012, 09:24:04 AM

In its quest to grow its franchise/brand so that it continues pumping out outrageous revenue streams to millionaires, the NFL fears its popularity is peaking.  And well it may be.  However, to the idea of more games and two more teams for each division as well as more playoffs:  Just say NO!

The NFL incorporates many aspects for a variety of owners, fans, coaches, lawyers, marketers etc.  But the basis of it all and what makes it work is FANS.  In my personal take on fan sentiment, I gather that there is a weariness of Goddell's reign in which he tinkers with various aspects of the game, rulesl etc in a ham fisted manner without really seeming to "get" the game we all love.  That is because he is a lawyer.IMHO and not a true sportsman.  In addition, he seeks to be a compliance officer, administrator, judge and jury.  Still, he is just a lawyer.

The structure of the Commissioner's office, its duties and responsibilities is outdated.  It needs to have a separate entity that handles appeals ( like our Supreme Court) member of which are not part of the organization of the NFL ideally consisting of experts in the field.  In addition, while its not in the interest of anyone to diminish the power of the office, it should be structured in such a way to make transparent that it (NFL) operates as an entity speaking on behalf of the owners.j   The owners have huge financial stakes in the league but again, the real power is within the unorganized mass of fans.  To make things work more beneficially for both the owners and the players, there ought to be an separate organization representing the interest of the fans.  How you would do this, I have no idea.  IT may be easy but more likely to be like herding cats....The union has its group which may or may not work to the advantage of the players.  For balance, I recommend something for us fans..  Such a group would siphon off some of the power of both the owners and the players creating a more equitable playing field ( no pun intended).

danimal09

Starter

#34 : December 15, 2012, 09:36:30 AM

Why don't we just stop keeping score , give the entire league a minature lombardi trophy at the end of the year , and call it a day. It would improve player safety at least....

And give all players this sticker.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 15, 2012, 09:45:28 AM

And give all players this sticker.

LOL , perfect.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucnaz24

Rookie

#36 : December 15, 2012, 11:33:06 AM

I don't think they should expand but I think that if a division winner like say Seattle made it a few years back at 8-8 I beleive? SHOULDN'T be allowed to get in! Say u have a division with a 14-2 and a 10-6 or 2 divisions like that I think  those teams with the better records should make it in! It would make it it more competitive and allow all the strong teams in and not allow an 8-8 team in. It would put lots of pressure on any team to win because they would know that it woul take the best record possible to get in!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL considering expanding playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools