Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' Josh Freeman looks in the mirror to overcome recent struggles « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 14, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »

DECEMBER 13, 2012

Bucs' Josh Freeman looks in the mirror to overcome recent struggles

Let’s get one thing straight: Josh Freeman is the Bucs’ quarterback, not only today but for the foreseeable future.

That does not, however, mean he is without flaws. Sunday’s tape of the loss to the Eagles is Exhibit A. And no one is more aware of that than Freeman.

Typically staid and unspecific in speaking about his performance, an introspective Freeman this afternoon seemed dissatisfied with his play, understanding his combined 44 percent completion rate during the past two games is unacceptable.

“When you throw the ball down the field, it’s going to be tough sometimes,” said Freeman, who completed only 14 of his 34 attempts against Philadelphia. “But they are definitely throws I can make. In practice, we’re continuing to work on those to develop more and more consistency down the field. You have to put it on yourself. You have to say, ‘What can I do to get better? What can I do to be more consistent as a quarterback, throwing the ball and getting the ball into my playmakers’ hands?’

“That’s what I’ve been doing, watching each throw and watching footwork. What allowed me to stand in there and make this throw versus this other throw? I really go down to the core level and see exactly what you can do to get better.”

Freeman’s coaches are not tolerant of Freeman’s recent issues, but they also have made it known they’re not going to overreact. With one season remaining on his rookie contract, Freeman and the Bucs are expected to discuss a long-term extension in the offseason. Nothing in the past couple of weeks seems to have changed internal opinions about the 24-year old passer who is on pace to register career highs in passing yards and touchdowns passes.

But consistency is a keyword at One Buc Place right now.

“I think the entire year has in a lot of ways been a bit of a roller coaster,” offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said. “But I think he continues to move onward and upward.”

Coach Greg Schiano remains unwavering in his support and expectations of Freeman.

“I think he didn’t play his best game (against the Eagles), but I think he’s built equity in our offense and in what he can do,” Schiano said. “He just needs to come back and play another game and play well. That’s what I fully anticipate he’s going to do.”

Freeman’s biggest issues are with his accuracy. His 54.7 completion percentage ranks 34th in the NFL, though he is ranked much higher in a number of other categories (fifth in TD passes, seventh in yards per attempt).

The Bucs’ propensity for throwing deep balls, which are low-percentage attempts, skews the numbers a bit. But it’s got to be better, and Freeman is not shying away.

“Part of it is some throws are higher percentage than others,” he said. “. . . It’s something you definitely want to improve on. You want to be in the upper echelon of the league as far as completion percentage.”

Posted by Stephen Holder at 4:56:15 pm on December 13, 2012

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 14, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »

Freeman and the Bucs are expected to discuss a long-term extension in the offseason

Let’s get one thing straight: Josh Freeman is the Bucs’ quarterback, not only today but for the foreseeable future.

Forseeable future?   Is that one more year or ten more years?  I guess it depends on your definition of "forseeable".

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

« #2 : December 14, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »

Listening to the Josh Freeman Show was about as bad as watching the first half of the game.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 14, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »

Freeman and the Bucs are expected to discuss a long-term extension in the offseason

Forseeable future?   Is that one more year or ten more years?  I guess it depends on your definition of "forseeable".

I think he will be our QB for at least another 2 seasons. After that I think we will all know whats gonna happen with him as far as playing for TB. Id personally like to see him here for the next 10+ years. Means we found ourselves a good to great one. Something Buc fans have always wanted. A Franchise QB. Honestly how could any real Buc "fan" hope he fails?   

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4 : December 14, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »

Listening to the Josh Freeman Show was about as bad as watching the first half of the game.
HA HA HA!

I always thought he would make for a great Jazz Radio host...

But yeah, listening to his vanilla answers, is really boring.  But then again, most QBs are...listen to Aaron Rodgers.  But don't be behind the wheel of a vehicle...zzzz....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #5 : December 14, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »

As for the completion percentage getting skewed by the deep throws...how many times is he lobbing the ball downfield?  He makes it seem as if he is throwing it every other play 45 yards downfield...

Josh Freeman needs to connect on his timing routes, and work on putting the ball into places where the receiver can catch and go...not adjust, catch and/or gather as a result of errant throw.  I recall watching Tom Brady against the Texans, and he threw a short pass into Welkers stomach, but he placed it there, aimed it so Welker could catch it with little effort and use his short area burst to go.  Brady is a tall guy, Welker is a midget...If Freeman were to throw that ball, Welker would either have to reach for it, turn, jump, something...his throws are rarely concise.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 14, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

I find all of those interviews to be boring. Usually player/coach speak. Everybody keeps things pretty vague now days. I think they do it for a reason though. Its like they dont want tip their hand to other teams? Something along those lines.

TheQ

Starter

« #7 : December 14, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »

His accuracy is and staring down receivers is his biggest problem.
I hope that he is being coached to improve on these, but he keeps lacking in both.
The Bucs have been searching for a Franchise QB in like forever, so here's hoping that Josh is it.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 14, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

The Bucs’ propensity for throwing deep balls, which are low-percentage attempts, skews the numbers a bit. But it’s got to be better, and Freeman is not shying away.

“Part of it is some throws are higher percentage than others,” he said. “. . . It’s something you definitely want to improve on. You want to be in the upper echelon of the league as far as completion percentage.”

That mirror that Holder is referring must be broken....Holder seems to be trying to help Josh avoid the obvious here....If they think Josh has a singular problem which is lower completion percentage from longer throws then they're both delusional...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 14, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

If you buy into Holder and his opinions.....Free is the future no matter what.  The only thing left to dicuss , is how much he gets.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

danimal09

Starter

« #10 : December 15, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

I think Free is the future at least for a couple more seasons. The kid is 24 and if he progresses and develops that consistency I sure hope he is still on the Bucs. It is a shame that we don't know yet if he will be the guy to make us a contender year in and year out, but he is still only 24 and has a lot of experience for that age. I believe he is close enough to stick with him for a little while longer to find out if he can be that guy. How long all depends on how well he does progress.

And I would like to point out that most here a few weeks back were saying Free is our guy and that we need to extend his contract, now after a few other games he is garbage. I know fans can swing their opinions however they want and they should be able to do that,but I do prefer staying more level and consistent with my opinions. Especially with Free as he has had a roller-coaster season thus far.

My 2 cents.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 15, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »

Freechise will finish the season strong I am predicting.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 15, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »

I am not sure if Josh's issues are in his head or his mechanics.  Personally, I am leaning twoards his head, confidence, etc.  Isn't this exactly what sports shrinks are for?  Hire one ASAP.  He clearly has issues.  As we all know ad nauseium .

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 15, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »

I am not sure if Josh's issues are in his head or his mechanics.  Personally, I am leaning twoards his head, confidence, etc.  Isn't this exactly what sports shrinks are for?  Hire one ASAP.  He clearly has issues.  As we all know ad nauseium .

Actually I've heard a lot of his accuracy problems come from when his footwork gets sloppy , which it has a tendency to do.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 15, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »

You know you have a QB when a 4:1 TD/INT ratio in the last 3 games is struggling.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' Josh Freeman looks in the mirror to overcome recent struggles « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools