Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barron handles steep learning curve « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 15, 2012, 12:04:07 AM

Bucs' Barron handles steep learning curve

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
S Mark Barron has seen the typical rookie ups and downs this year with the Bucs.

By IRA KAUFMAN| The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 14, 2012

TAMPA --

Although the conditions at the Superdome are carefully monitored, Mark Barron knows he's stepping into another whirlwind.

For the rookie safety of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, every week is a learning experience. And when a gunslinger such as Drew Brees of the Saints stands under center, the lessons can be particularly painful.

Two months after yielding 377 yards and four touchdown passes to Brees in a 35-28 setback, Tampa Bay defenders are gearing up for Sunday's rematch.

The Bucs defense ranks No. 1 against the rush and last against the pass and Barron has played a prominent role in both rankings.

When he was drafted in the first round out of Alabama, Barron was lauded as an aggressive, physical run defender. Some NFL talent evaluators predicted he would struggle on pass coverage as a rookie.

So far, the scouting report appears accurate.

"Some of the things he sees are new to him,'' Bucs defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan said. "He's probably been exposed to a variety of pass concepts we see every week that maybe from a volume standpoint you don't see at the college level because we're in a passing league. He's only going to get better.''

Playing next to Ronde Barber, who shifted to safety after 15 seasons at corner, Barron has started all 13 games and ranks fourth on the team with 69 tackles. He has one interception, a forced fumble and eight passes defended while playing a key role on a rushing defense that yields only 3.3 yards per carry.

"My rookie year has been pretty much what I expected,'' Barron said. "I'm just trying to do my job. I would say the difference is the quarterbacks are a lot smarter. They're able to read defenses better and lot more goes into it in terms of disguising, trying not to show your hand.''

As an All-America safety and team captain, Barron helped the Crimson Tide to two national titles.

And although the Southeastern Conference has accounted for the past six national champions, Barron is now facing elite quarterbacks such as Brees, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning on a weekly basis.

"I think he's holding up fine,'' Bucs coach Greg Schiano said. "You're going to make some mistakes, but he's learning. He's also making some plays that not many rookies make. This is different. The skill people you have to cover at this level are the elite people in the world at what they do.''

You can't be a successful defensive back in the NFL without a short memory, and Barron is no different.

"He's a beast,'' Bucs cornerback E.J. Biggers said. "I don't see too many downs with Mark Barron. He's been doing some great things on the field and he's going to be one of the best safeties in this league. He covers the field, he can put his pads on people and he's very humble. All I see are great things ahead.''

Barron said his body has held up well during the long NFL season.

"I'm good,'' he said. "I just have to make sure I keep hitting the cold tubs and getting treatment. These quarterbacks look you off more at this level and a guy like Drew Brees does a lot of pump-faking. You've got to do a lot of film study on every quarterback you play.''

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 15, 2012, 02:27:27 AM

By failing utterly.

danimal09

Starter

#2 : December 15, 2012, 08:05:03 AM

Hope Barron has a good game. He needs one badly.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 15, 2012, 08:50:35 AM

"Barron has started all 13 games and ranks fourth on the team with 69 tackles. He has one interception, a forced fumble and eight passes defended while playing a key role on a rushing defense that yields only 3.3 yards per carry."

But it's already over for him . He's already a bust. Ask the PR Red Board.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 15, 2012, 08:54:05 AM

By failing utterly.

wow caradoc.  he is a rookie safety w/o a consistent pass rush and the worst group of corners in the league in front him.  he can't be everywhere at once trying to cover up for those flaws.  you do realize that half the time when he makes those down field tackles that the WR isnt actually his man?  that they are in a zone and he has to come flying in to bail out the CBs and LBs in front of him?  Last week some idiots on this board blamed him for the play on the goal-line where he stopped the guy at the 2 at the end of the game.  That was biggers who lost the wr and let him get behind him deep down the seam. That is just one example.

he isnt having a martin or david impact but those guys are the exception not the rule. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 15, 2012, 12:50:54 PM

By failing utterly.

Yup. Double-digit missed tackles. Pitiful when in M2M. Poor angles. Plays flatfooted.

Hopefully he has a turnaround next year, but this year, he has been a disappointment.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 15, 2012, 01:00:57 PM

I think Barron will be a solid player, but he is proof positive of why it is idiotic to take a safety with a top 10 pick.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 15, 2012, 01:21:11 PM

I think Barron will be a solid player, but he is proof positive of why it is idiotic to take a safety with a top 10 pick.

Agreed.  I think Barron will be fine, but that's horrible positional value.  Top Ten picks are for premium positions.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 15, 2012, 02:04:03 PM

We could see something like with what we have seen with Mason Foster and how he progressed from year one to year two.

He came in and played well for the first few games, then we fell off and played poorly. Fast forward a year, and he is a very solid player and looks excellent against the run and he looks like he is on the right track overall.

With Barron, he started off similar, but he has been dreadful for most of the last 2 months. With another full offseason and him getting more comfortable, he may settle in and play more instinctively and with more confidence next season. I doubt he ever turns into one of the top safeties because it seems that his ceiling against the pass is just "average". The primary reason he was drafted was because he was pegged as a run stuffer who would "lay the wood". Sad part is, he isn't even one of the main reason why this run D is so good....it's mostly because of the play of the front 7.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 15, 2012, 08:47:40 PM

We could see something like with what we have seen with Mason Foster and how he progressed from year one to year two.

He came in and played well for the first few games, then we fell off and played poorly. Fast forward a year, and he is a very solid player and looks excellent against the run and he looks like he is on the right track overall.

With Barron, he started off similar, but he has been dreadful for most of the last 2 months. With another full offseason and him getting more comfortable, he may settle in and play more instinctively and with more confidence next season. I doubt he ever turns into one of the top safeties because it seems that his ceiling against the pass is just "average". The primary reason he was drafted was because he was pegged as a run stuffer who would "lay the wood". Sad part is, he isn't even one of the main reason why this run D is so good....it's mostly because of the play of the front 7.

Agree and I would add....laying the wood is not allowed much these days.  Unless you want to write out huge checks to Roger, and maybe sit out a game here and there.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 15, 2012, 08:59:28 PM

By failing utterly.

BUST!!!  Jeez

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 15, 2012, 09:52:13 PM

By failing utterly.

BUST!!!  Jeez

You think he's a bust?  I'd wait more than one season, but hey, you go ahead and jump to conclusions.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 16, 2012, 10:50:55 AM

He needs to work on tackling, taking better angles, not getting burned by full backs who are notoriously getting faster and becoming more vital in the vaunted passing attacks in the NFL, and lose number 24 which is a cursed number.

Which one of these is false?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 16, 2012, 12:06:14 PM

He seems to be out of position a lot.  Poor angles.  Poor positioning.  Has NOT even close lived up to a top ten pick.

It could be the joke of a college scheme we run though.  No doubt year two is huge for MB.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#14 : December 16, 2012, 12:09:10 PM

How'd  Ronde do is rookie season.  I have a feeling the kid will be fine.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barron handles steep learning curve « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools