Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Depressing "Trade for Ryan Mallett/Kirk Cousins" Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 16, 2012, 03:29:47 PM

Cousins has off the charts intangibles and is clearly coachable; not sure we'd see him throwing his hands in the air at a bad route and tossing his mouthpiece like a cry baby. That said, you gotta be careful with overpaying for a guy that's shown a little but over limited time. And, no doubt the RG3 affect on his team matters; would he have the same impact on his own team?

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 16, 2012, 03:31:14 PM

What makes Kirk Cousins a better QB than say...Tajh Boyd, who you could get in the 4th round.  Or even Tyler Wilson or Bray who will likely be available in the 2nd?  I don't like this stigma that if you play one game in the NFL, you are automatically worth at least a 2nd round pick.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#17 : December 16, 2012, 03:41:00 PM

What makes Kirk Cousins a better QB than say...Tajh Boyd, who you could get in the 4th round.  Or even Tyler Wilson or Bray who will likely be available in the 2nd?  I don't like this stigma that if you play one game in the NFL, you are automatically worth at least a 2nd round pick.

Cousins slipped last year because it was a stronger QB class.  He'd go in the 2nd, maybe higher, if he came out this year.  This QB class is as poor as we've seen in awhile.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 16, 2012, 03:45:47 PM

I actually like the Tylers.  Cousins is fine.  If he was in this draft, or we could get him for a 3rd or less, I'd be interested in the move.  A second round pick is a HEFTY price to pay for any player.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#19 : December 16, 2012, 03:49:44 PM

Cousins had a dreadful first half.  He threw into triple coverage and Hankerson came down with it.  He's had a better second half, but really, he hasn't proven anything.  It would be like trading for Kevin Kolb.

Dude, he is better than who we have now, so what's your point?

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 16, 2012, 03:51:18 PM

My point is that we can sign Alex Smith off of FA, not use a 2nd round pick, and have it be better than what we have now.  You don't rip yourself off just because it's an improvement.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 16, 2012, 03:55:08 PM

My point is that we can sign Alex Smith off of FA, not use a 2nd round pick, and have it be better than what we have now.  You don't rip yourself off just because it's an improvement.
That is you assuming that one end of the deal is a ripoff...how do you know?

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 16, 2012, 03:56:32 PM

Thats not a bad thought. Smith isnt exactly built for our system though.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 16, 2012, 03:56:49 PM

Well, I'm saying, in my opinion, Kirk Cousins for a 2nd is a ripoff.  Some people have other opinions, of course, but in my opinion, Kirk Cousins is not worth a 2nd, and to trade for him just because he's "better than what we have now" is not only bad reasoning, but could be crippling to the franchise.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 16, 2012, 03:59:41 PM

Well, I'm saying, in my opinion, Kirk Cousins for a 2nd is a ripoff.  Some people have other opinions, of course, but in my opinion, Kirk Cousins is not worth a 2nd, and to trade for him just because he's "better than what we have now" is not only bad reasoning, but could be crippling to the franchise.
Well, it is a Mark Dominik second rounder, so for you to call it a rip-off is curious.

Firstoff, Dom is an awful drafter in round 2.  Second, Kirk has a LOT of potential, and can actually throw the ball, and is young.  The BUcs have some nice offensive weapons that are going to rot under Free's "leadership".  Nothing about Cousins ability screams he is an incapable QB, IMO.  Something has to be done...

And Thank God for Orlovsky being in there.

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 16, 2012, 04:02:29 PM

And Thank God for Orlovsky being in there.

3 quarters to late

Hate

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 16, 2012, 04:02:33 PM

What would it take to wrangle one of these guys?  I think in Mallett you have a guy who is tailor made for this offense.  Big arm, with excellent vertical threats, and a ground game that has proven effective (if not today).  Problem is, he has been called a bit of a headcase, but maybe his time with Bellicheat and Brady have simmered him down? 

And Cousins has a TON of upside. 

Any opposition if any of these guys were to be had?

Ryan Mallet, Kirk Cousins or my cousin would be better than what we've seen today. I especially like Mallet!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 16, 2012, 04:02:34 PM

No, nothing about Cousins ability screams he's incapable.  But nothing suggests that he's a true superstar QB either.  I want to use a 2nd round picks on guys who have high upsides.  Cousins is fine, I think he can be an NFL starter.  But I don't know that he's ever a top 10 QB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 16, 2012, 04:05:27 PM

No, nothing about Cousins ability screams he's incapable.  But nothing suggests that he's a true superstar QB either.  I want to use a 2nd round picks on guys who have high upsides.  Cousins is fine, I think he can be an NFL starter.  But I don't know that he's ever a top 10 QB.
The BUcs with COusin have a better shot to get to the big game than with Joshy.

Isn't that the point?

A second rounder for a QB that can guide a team like the Bucs with steady play is worth five first rounders to me, so a second rounder under Dom's regime is absolutely a steal in my book.  The Bucs have to try something, because standing pat is not going to work.

And I think Mallet would be great in this offense.  I think his mid range game is fine, the problemis he throws it with too much velocity.  He needs to take it down at times. (pre-season, college)

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 16, 2012, 04:07:58 PM

No, it's not the point.  Shaun Hill would have a better shot to get to the big game than Josh.  The point isn't simply to get better, the point is if you're going to invest a pick and invest 4 years of this team's future into a guy, you be as confident as you can about the guy.  The point isn't simply to "get better" the point is to find a franchise guy.  You get a FA like Smith or Hill or hell, even Jason Campbell, and you have some time to mess around and find a guy you're really confident about.  You don't invest in a guy long-term just because he's better than what you have now. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Depressing "Trade for Ryan Mallett/Kirk Cousins" Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools