Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Depressing "Trade for Ryan Mallett/Kirk Cousins" Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 16, 2012, 04:10:44 PM

No, it's not the point.  Shaun Hill would have a better shot to get to the big game than Josh.  The point isn't simply to get better, the point is if you're going to invest a pick and invest 4 years of this team's future into a guy, you be as confident as you can about the guy.  The point isn't simply to "get better" the point is to find a franchise guy.  You get a FA like Smith or Hill or hell, even Jason Campbell, and you have some time to mess around and find a guy you're really confident about.  You don't invest in a guy long-term just because he's better than what you have now.
You are putting waaaaaaay too much stock in a second round pick. 

Waaaaaay too much, and it is becoming obvious.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 16, 2012, 04:13:13 PM

If we use a second round pick on Cousins, and he has the same season Freeman had this year, what do we do?  Using a 2nd round pick on a QB is an investment.  I'm not confident in Cousins ability to be more than an average NFL starter.  If we trade for Cousins, I don't like the idea of having to start him for the next 3 years.  Any less than a 2nd round pick, and you can get out of it easily if a better situation comes around.  If you invest a 2nd round pick in him, then you're likely talking giving him a lot more chances.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 16, 2012, 04:14:11 PM

This game was the story of Freeman, and it was embarrassing.

I am of the opinion that our future QB is not in the league yet.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 16, 2012, 04:14:33 PM

Again, you have to try, and opne measly second round pick is not the be all and end all of this team...if he tanks, he tanks, and you move on.  we should be used to that isht by now...

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#34 : December 16, 2012, 04:15:54 PM

My point is that we can sign Alex Smith off of FA, not use a 2nd round pick, and have it be better than what we have now.  You don't rip yourself off just because it's an improvement.

Thats not a bad thought. Smith isnt exactly built for our system though.

What exactly is our system? I am still trying to figure that out and the season is almost over!

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#35 : December 16, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

But that's the thing, they WON'T just move on.  It's not that I'm overvaluing 2nd round pick, I'm just not sold on Cousins being a career franchise QB.  And if you trade a 2nd round pick for him, they ARE going to commit to him for the next few years, even if he's average.

Hayseed

Pro Bowler

#36 : December 16, 2012, 04:19:55 PM

Why trade for any QB? As soon as they have a bad game, everyone will be ready to get rid of them and bring in the new guy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 16, 2012, 04:21:09 PM

Uhhh...we did wait four years right?

Some poeple have a seriously skewed sense of time.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#38 : December 16, 2012, 04:23:47 PM

No, it's not the point.  Shaun Hill would have a better shot to get to the big game than Josh.  The point isn't simply to get better, the point is if you're going to invest a pick and invest 4 years of this team's future into a guy, you be as confident as you can about the guy.  The point isn't simply to "get better" the point is to find a franchise guy.  You get a FA like Smith or Hill or hell, even Jason Campbell, and you have some time to mess around and find a guy you're really confident about.  You don't invest in a guy long-term just because he's better than what you have now.

So let me get this straight. You don't want Cousins but you are willing to get Jason Campbell and let Freeman walk for Campbell?

Do you know Cousins or even seen his body of work in college? Shanahan drafted 2 QBs in the same draft for a reason and he was one of them.

I will take Shanahan's knowledge of Cousins over what you THINK of him!
: December 16, 2012, 04:26:17 PM Timbuc2

cgnumber7

Starter

#39 : December 16, 2012, 04:25:34 PM

osweiller!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 16, 2012, 04:26:39 PM

osweiller!!
For some reason, he reminds me of Dan Orlovsky. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 16, 2012, 04:32:38 PM

Redskins have no picks due to trading up for RG3. I bet they'd take a 2nd rounder for Cousins.

We could probably get a 2nd rounder from the Chiefs for Freeman, so no real loss!

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 16, 2012, 04:38:26 PM

Bottom line, Freeman can't read a defense and he's very slow to react. He may be young, but he's had four years in the NFL. He hasn't improved and I don't think he will.

Accuracy, arm strength, mobility....it's all great, but without the ability to read and react those things mean nothing. It's a sad day for me to admit it, but Freeman just doesn't have the mental aptitude to be a starting QB. Besides that, he is timid and not a leader. It's just time to move on. Every QB has good games and bad games, but you can't stick with a guy that is soooo bad sooo often.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 16, 2012, 04:44:14 PM

Redskins have no picks due to trading up for RG3. I bet they'd take a 2nd rounder for Cousins.

We could probably get a 2nd rounder from the Chiefs for Freeman, so no real loss!

Hmmmm....Chiefs will obviously be at top of 2nd so this intrigues me...

But yes....the Skins are coming out looking pretty wise for drafting 2 QBs and will likely have suitors this off-season for Cousins based on his play in past couple weeks.

Just goes to show that there are always options depending on how much you're willing to gamble.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 16, 2012, 04:48:02 PM

Looks like we might be picking top 10. Probably right around 10. Too bad there is no great QBs to trade up for this year.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Depressing "Trade for Ryan Mallett/Kirk Cousins" Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools