Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who the Bucs Need in Free Agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
: December 17, 2012, 12:02:39 AM

Is Wes Welker. I know he is going to demand a lot of money for an aging slot receiver, and we already have a lot spent at the position and a player in Mike Williams who will need a big contract in a year, but the biggest issue on this team right now is the ability to pass the ball underneath and move the chains and Welker is the model slot receiver in the game. I know the mood on the board right now is going to lead to a lot of "doesn't matter who you give Freeman" responses, but those of you who really think we would be better off just turning to whoever else are just wrong. Maybe Freeman isn't the answer, but he has definitely shown enough to earn more time. A guy like Welker could help make him and the offense much more consistent.
: December 17, 2012, 12:04:53 AM BucsBay

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 17, 2012, 12:11:33 AM

why would welker come here?  and what does welker do so well?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 17, 2012, 12:12:30 AM

why would welker come here?  and what does welker do so well?
catch passes from Tom Brady... I would rather have tavon Austin

McCoy93

Starter

#3 : December 17, 2012, 12:13:16 AM

Welker makes a living off short/intermediate routes. I cringe when Freeman tries throwing those type of passes

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#4 : December 17, 2012, 01:57:36 AM

I would rather have tavon Austin

This. I dont care how undersized he is.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

youngone

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 17, 2012, 06:51:18 AM

Can Wes Welker catch jump balls? I think not.

If we are looking for another receiver for our current QB to "throw" to we need to figure out some way to sign Lebron.

BucNtears

Second String

#6 : December 17, 2012, 07:50:28 AM

Wes Welker, really?

Freeman to Welker not happening, reach again.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 17, 2012, 08:27:24 AM

Is Wes Welker. I know he is going to demand a lot of money for an aging slot receiver, and we already have a lot spent at the position and a player in Mike Williams who will need a big contract in a year, but the biggest issue on this team right now is the ability to pass the ball underneath and move the chains and Welker is the model slot receiver in the game. I know the mood on the board right now is going to lead to a lot of "doesn't matter who you give Freeman" responses, but those of you who really think we would be better off just turning to whoever else are just wrong. Maybe Freeman isn't the answer, but he has definitely shown enough to earn more time. A guy like Welker could help make him and the offense much more consistent.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 17, 2012, 09:16:46 AM

You guys are making some really good points against the idea, oh wait you're really not. You're just talking out your @sses like you usually do.

Can someone tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea to sign a guy who has over 100 catches in 5 years, who is clearly the best and most experienced underneath receiver in the game to a team who has the worst  short passing game? Welker was good before he was traded to New England so the argument that Brady makes him is bogus.
: December 17, 2012, 09:18:56 AM BucsBay

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 17, 2012, 09:32:12 AM

I think it's a very valid point that Freeman is missing a reliable check down/short route guy. He needs someone that he has confidence in when under pressure if the down field throws aren't open.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 17, 2012, 09:44:25 AM

I think it's a very valid point that Freeman is missing a reliable check down/short route guy. He needs someone that he has confidence in when under pressure if the down field throws aren't open.
You have a valid point, but freeman hasn't proven that he can be accurate in short to intermediate throws in 4 years. If freeman has confidence in a receiver he lobs it up there hoping that his guy comes down with it, that's not what Welker does well. Wes Welker probably hasn't seen a very inaccurate pass since he played for the dolphins. I would love to have a guy like Wes Welker but give me a different QB to go with it.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 17, 2012, 09:48:33 AM

You have a valid point, but freeman hasn't proven that he can be accurate in short to intermediate throws in 4 years. If freeman has confidence in a receiver he lobs it up there hoping that his guy comes down with it, that's not what Welker does well. Wes Welker probably hasn't seen a very inaccurate pass since he played for the dolphins. I would love to have a guy like Wes Welker but give me a different QB to go with it.

Before his injury Graham was leading the team in receptions and I believe on pace for a franchise record.  Free never had any problems hitting him short.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 17, 2012, 10:01:33 AM

The only way Freeman has a chance to get better at those throws if he has a chance to practice them. It was well documented that Schiano wanted to run the ball and go deep, but right now Doug Martin's production is fading, understandably given the injuries to the O-Line catching up and the fact that he is a rookie who has never played this long a season, Blount is not being used, rightfully or not, and without any consistent running game teams are able to take away play action and the deep ball. Is it fair to put these shortcomings all on Freeman? Good offenses are able to use the short passing game as an extension of the running game. Being able to do so really needs to be a focus of this offense going into next season. Unfortunately a rookie, like Tavon Austin (who I'm not sold on), is not going to be able to help Freeman get better in the offseason.
: December 17, 2012, 10:06:14 AM BucsBay

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 17, 2012, 02:24:48 PM

Before his injury Graham was leading the team in receptions and I believe on pace for a franchise record.  Free never had any problems hitting him short.

True, but that was part of the problem. He only threw show dump passes and didn't throw downfield at the time.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#14 : December 17, 2012, 02:28:33 PM

You guys are making some really good points against the idea, oh wait you're really not. You're just talking out your @sses like you usually do.

Can someone tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea to sign a guy who has over 100 catches in 5 years, who is clearly the best and most experienced underneath receiver in the game to a team who has the worst  short passing game? Welker was good before he was traded to New England so the argument that Brady makes him is bogus.

Freeman already has enough receiving weapons as it is. If V-Jackson, Mike Williams, T. Underwood, Dallas Clark, and L. Stocker can't help Freeman nothing will. Bring another WR won't help. This team has more pressing issues and the WR corps is the least of them.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who the Bucs Need in Free Agency « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools