Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fennelly: Bucs' unease rises as Freeman take steps back « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
: December 17, 2012, 07:36:48 AM

NEW ORLEANS --

The now four-game losing streak is one thing. The lousy defense, it will need to be addressed, but we've known that all along. The not showing up at all Sunday, well, that was a first under Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano.

But now the quarterback is a mess.

And that's panic in the streets. That's alarm bells.

You're talking about Josh Freeman today, aren't you?

All those lousy Bucs is one thing, but it's 5 because this franchise is doomed without him.

A little more than a month ago, Freeman seemed the least of the Bucs' worries. Now he's climbing up the charts.

It went beyond a 41-0 shutout to the Saints, the worst defense in the league. It even went beyond 5's five turnovers, including four interceptions. Drew Brees threw four touchdowns. Ballgame.

Four games ago, Josh Freeman was one of the NFL's best quarterbacks running one of the NFL's best offenses. Now he is looking as lost as he did in his horrible 2011.

Sunday, he looked scary bad against a bad defense. He looks indecisive and his confidence looks shaky. He seems worse each week, back-foot throws, aiming instead of throwing, communication breakdowns with his receivers. It has to be inside his head. Another couple of weeks of this and he'll need a sports shrink.

This is exactly what the Bucs and their fans didn't need down the stretch, what Freeman didn't need, either.

There was a six-game streak this season the Bucs went 5-1 where he had 1,700 yards passing and 16 touchdowns. His quarterback ratings were out of sight, numbers like 124.7, 113.2, 104, 108 and a 137.2 against San Diego. Those ratings have plummeted during 0-4. Here are the last three weeks as the Bucs have nose-dived from contention: 72.8, 78.2 and Sunday's beauty, 37.2.

"We've got to get better on offense," Freeman said. "Me, personally, I've got to get better."

It's never as bad as it looks.

But is 5 supposed to look anything like this heading into Year 5?

He contends he is throwing the ball as well as ever.

He's kidding, right?

There's no way around the Incredible Shrinking Quarterback. Did it begin with those missed receivers against Atlanta and Denver? It's hard to pinpoint. But it's making people nervous.

Clearly, the offensive captain doesn't have his teammates on the same page, or sometimes even the same book. Like that Freeman pick that resulted from a blown decision by either 5 or Vincent Jackson, though neither would say whose fault it was. In fact, V Jack, who caught his first ball with the Bucs already down 31-0, said nothing at all after the game. Got to love that senior leadership

Bucs who did speak backed up 5, saying he wasn't the only one to blame. They're right. Everyone was, coaches included. Nothing says desperation like a play call for a throw deep down the field to Dallas Clark (intercepted, beyond easily).

"I believe in him so much," Bucs offensive lineman Donald Penn said of 5. "If I had to pick a quarterback in the league right now, my quarterback would be Josh Freeman. You ask me tomorrow, my quarterback is going to be Josh Freeman. You ask me next season, my quarterback is going to be Josh Freeman My quarterback is Josh Freeman. He's a grown man. He's going to go look in the mirror and we're going to get everything right."

It's still the one thing the Bucs don't need going into next season. I thought 2012 was supposed to be make or break for Freeman. Now it might be 2013.

No one who watched him a month ago expected this finish from him. The lack of decisiveness and confidence is startling. I still say the Bucs have bigger concerns than quarterback. Try cornerback.

But should Josh Freeman be a concern at all at this point in this season, or in his career?

Well, he is.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/bucs-email/2012/dec/17/5/spsporto1-unease-rises-as-freeman-steps-back-ar-584038/

BucNtears

Second String

#1 : December 17, 2012, 07:39:00 AM

As he should be.. The window is closing for him

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 17, 2012, 07:58:23 AM

Starting to reconsider how much of 2011 should be put on Freeman.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 17, 2012, 08:03:38 AM

What bother's me most about Freeman is not the inconsistent accuracy , but the fact that I still have never once seen him look off a safety . A simple thing that all elite QB's do to help WR's get open , and Freeman can't grasp it.

He predetermines who is getting the ball before the ball is snapped , if that player is covered on a regular basis , that is when our offense stalls , because he panics at that point and becomes lost.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 17, 2012, 08:07:09 AM

Freeman needs to watch film of Roethlesberger to see what a QB does to keep the play going if WRs/TE/RBs aren't initially open.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 17, 2012, 08:09:09 AM

Freeman needs to watch film of Roethlesberger to see what a QB does to keep the play going if WRs/TE/RBs aren't initially open.

EXACTLY !!! ..and what's frustrating is that Freeman would do that in his 1st two seasons. Now he has become a deer in the headlights in the pocket . A statue. Joe Flacco slides more than he does.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNtears

Second String

#6 : December 17, 2012, 08:26:00 AM

He should be extending plays with his feet and since he doesn't seem to get past his first read, tuck and run the damn ball.
 If he was to do that the Bucs record would be different.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 17, 2012, 09:37:39 AM

" No one who watched him a month ago expected this finish from him. "

Bull**CENSORED**. Anyone who watched him the last three years could not have been surprised by this.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

csidedave

Second String
#8 : December 17, 2012, 10:05:24 AM

From our perch in the end zone, you get a great view of the plays unfolding.  And what I have seen is not only a lot of inaccurate  throws, but a lot of really disturbing decisions.  It is those inexplicable decisions that concern me the most because those are a reflection of his instincts which are much harder to correct than his mechanics.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 17, 2012, 10:23:01 AM

Being over blown. He had a bad game and it looked like he was trying score 21 points on every drive because he knew it would take 40+ to win.
: December 17, 2012, 10:24:36 AM JC5100

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 17, 2012, 10:28:22 AM

Being over blown. He had a bad game and it looked like he was trying score 21 points on every drive because he knew it would take 40+ to win.

Could be but he didn't help himself today. He needs to put in some serious work. He will have that chance but patience is wearing thin. For his sake and for the teams sake, let's hope he snaps out of this and gets goin. Otherwise we look for a new QB.

DamianG

Rookie

#11 : December 17, 2012, 10:35:38 AM

I Blame the fall off of freemans production ..on the LockOut ....Sounds Foolish...I know...but think about it

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 17, 2012, 10:52:31 AM

Could be but he didn't help himself today. He needs to put in some serious work. He will have that chance but patience is wearing thin. For his sake and for the teams sake, let's hope he snaps out of this and gets goin. Otherwise we look for a new QB.

He's 24 years old, had a 25/6 season and was having a 25/8 season before we were eliminated from contention by our defense blowing 4th qtr leads left and right. Relax, we have a franchise QB. You guys clamoring for going out and getting a new QB sound ridiculous.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 17, 2012, 11:14:55 AM

The Scott Kasmir-like look in his eyes the last few weeks is what scares me more than anything. Against a horrible D this week. Hard to explain. Hope he finds it again, soon.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 17, 2012, 04:04:04 PM

It's all on him. He went 13/25 for 161 yards and two INTs. That's why our offense didn't score a point. This guy is not elite and needs to go.

Oh wait, that was Eli Manning's numbers yesterday.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fennelly: Bucs' unease rises as Freeman take steps back « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools