Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano, Fisher and Bucs Players Offer Tons of Support for Free « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : December 19, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

All quotes posted on JBF. It's the one thing I like about that site...

I still want a solid back-up QB next year.

(MIke)Williams had an interesting nuggett that sort of put Freeman’s recent struggles into perspective.

“We run a certain team’s offense,” Williams said, referring to the Giants offense brought from New York by former Giants quarterback coach and current Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan. “The quarterback of that offense [Eli Manning] said it took him six years before he fully understood the offense. That quarterback now has two rings.”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, learning Bucs fans impatience with Freeman, reacted with frustration and suggested Bucs fans need to chill out.

“Oh, of course,” Fisher harrumphed, when asked if Bucs fans were out of line in turning on Freeman. “He has all the tools. It is not easy to play the position week in and week out. You face some defenses you are not used to seeing. He is a very talented athlete and quarterback and makes good decisions. There is no need for frustration. There should be nothing but optimism with Josh. He has a tremendous future.”

“He is the most focused on the team,” Bucs wide receiver Mike Williams said on Buccaneers Total Access Monday, heard locally on WDAE-AM 620. Freeman is “first one in here and last to leave with the coaches, I don’t see any other quarterback doing that. I know it sounds cliché but it is true. He tries to get better every day. He always knows what mistakes he has made and how to get better from his mistakes.

“Basically, he is a fighter. He will keep fighting. He is the ultimate competitor. He wants to win. That’s where he got his nickname from, the comeback kid. If we are in the game in the fourth quarter, I will give [the ball] to Josh every time. He is trying to do all the right things. People see a couple of mistakes and think it is his mistake and it isn’t even his, sometimes it’s the receiver didn’t see the read or we didn’t see the high and supposed to break off the route or sometimes it is the line. He is going to make mistakes as a young quarterback but he is going to get better too.

“That’s what people have to realize that it’s not always the quarterback’s fault and a lot of times it is not his fault. A lot of times it is just a communication issue.”

Williams wasn’t the first to come to Freeman’s back. So too did tight end Dallas Clark after the game, so reported NFL freelance writer Dory LeBlanc.

“It’s definitely not just one person,” Clark said. “[We] got a lot of things we have to iron out as an offense. Unfortunately in this league the quarterback, head coach, and other guys are always the first ones to throw under the bus, but I’ll be the first one to say it’s me, it’s everyone. We all have to play better and I think we have people here that will make it happen. But certainly no one should take the brunt of any of this. It’s a team thing right now and we have to get it fixed.”

When pressed about Freeman’s, which came at the worst possible time for the Bucs when they were 6-4, Schiano shrugged his shoulders and was confident Freeman will eventually come out on top, so he said in his day-after press conference Monday.

“If Josh Freeman wasn’t coming in and spending all kinds of time here and I wasn’t getting texts and our coaches weren’t getting asked questions at 10 p.m. at night about coverages and things like that, then yeah, I’d have reasons to be concerned,” Schiano said. “But I know everybody goes through better times and lesser times. I also know those who persevere, who tend to their work, they will be fine and Josh [tends to his work]. He will be fine. Sometimes if you get into a swell or a slump, you have to fight your way out.”

Even Bucs icon Ronde Barber got into the act last night on the Buccaneers Radio Network, specifically calling the 2010 and 2012 editions of Freeman– not 2011 – among the most detailed, hardest-working guys he’s ever been around. Barber said Freeman always has notes with him, is constantly talking Xs and Os, and only Brad Johnson might have been a more obsessed quarterback, which Barber says led to Johnson lasting 17 years in the NFL.

Link...

www.joebucsfan.com
« : December 19, 2012, 01:46:27 PM ufojoe »

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #1 : December 19, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »

Those are all very encouraging things to hear. 

Sometimes I just don't get it though.  Regardless of all the study time and hard work poured in, sometimes he can't throw a 10 yard slant pattern or pumpfake a safety off a WR.  But hopefully hard work will prosper here.   

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 19, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

Nice coach-speak, coach Fisher.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 19, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

It will pay off. You make mistakes and thats part of it all. Lets see if all this hard work will pay off. I think that if we get a better defense, this team will make the playoffs. Then people will be saying, Freeman was good enough this year to lead us to the playoffs. No he wasnt, the team just got better around him. This is a team game. Im glad Freeman is working hard, but he needs to get to the bottom of whats going wrong for him or his time will wear very thin around here. I think that time has already begun and if he continues to stink in these last couple of games, it will be hard for the team to follow him next season. We would probably have to turn the page in that scenario. Lets hope he gets it together.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 19, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

So many things go into that slant route. Zones tend to dictact a slower route. WR are taught to run away from a man coverage. Blocking, blitz pick up, all of those things are taken into account. Lots of QBs do it and we saw Freeman do it in 2010. He threw a ton of successful slant routes. Did he forget how to do it this year? No but the offense has changed and apparently it's one that takes a long time to learn and fully comprehend.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 19, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »

All quotes posted on JBF. It's the one thing I like about that site...(MIke)Williams had an interesting nuggett that sort of put Freeman’s recent struggles into perspective.

“We run a certain team’s offense,” Williams said, referring to the Giants offense brought from New York by former Giants quarterback coach and current Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan. “The quarterback of that offense [Eli Manning] said it took him six years before he fully understood the offense. That quarterback now has two rings.”
Link...

www.joebucsfan.com

If you have a system that takes a QB 6 years to fully understand... it's not a very good system.  That's just my opinion.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 19, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »

Was good enough to win 2 super bowl rings or was it the team around him that helped him win those 2 SB rings?? Think about that one guys.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 19, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »

Gary Sheldon said teh same thing on his radio show teh other day. Freeman works very hard and defintely cares. Maybe it'll all click in 2013.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 19, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »

Was good enough to win 2 super bowl rings or was it the team around him that helped him win those 2 SB rings?? Think about that one guys.

Both. Eli was hardly a game manager in both of those SB runs.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 19, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

No surprise to see this. It's pretty obvious that all the Freeman bashers are overreacting.

You guys keep telling yourselves he sucks and we can't win with him. Everyone else, including NFL coaches around the league will continue to laugh at your lack of football knowledge.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 19, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »

He was the MVP, twice. Great talent, great player and it took him 6 years to learn the offense!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 19, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

Not saying he was. He did have a good team around him. Wasnt all him.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 19, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

No surprise to see this. It's pretty obvious that all the Freeman bashers are overreacting.

i agree with this, myself certainly included.

You guys keep telling yourselves he sucks and we can't win with him. Everyone else, including NFL coaches around the league will continue to laugh at your lack of football knowledge.

i disagree with this.  most knowledgeable posters here understand we can win with freeman.  most dont thnk he sucks.  but many of us think he just is slightly above average overall.  ups, downs, and nothing in between.  its gotten to the point where the argument is "we can win with him" instead of "we can win because of him"

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 19, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

You can't be serious.

The Patriots offense was unstoppable in 2007. Literally, no one could stop them.

The Giants held them to 14 points in the Superbowl and were the only team who could actually put Brady under pressure because their pass rush was so good. You seriously think Eli Manning was the main reason the Giants won the Superbowl?

Just look at his numbers during that run. He wasn't asked to do much, he was definitely just a game manager for that Superbowl run.

I'll give you that he did play a big role in the other Superbowl run, but that wasn't until he had a good 6 years of NFL experience.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 19, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »

Slightly above average isnt easy to get and its good enough to win a Super bowl with if you do it as a team.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano, Fisher and Bucs Players Offer Tons of Support for Free « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools