Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deep Dive: VJax INT and Coach Push « previous next »
Page: 1

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

: December 19, 2012, 05:08:06 PM

After reviewing the game I have a new perspective on these two topics, so I wanted to provide my thoughts.

A.  VJax INT

A lot has been made about the fact we have poor communication this late in the season.  However, after reviewing the tape this honestly looks like a minor issue on the VJax interception.  After watching the play multiple times, it appears Freeman properly reads the play.  He starts his checks from left to right.  VJax is aligned to the right, but appears to check with the ref multiple times to ensure his alignment is ok.  Unfortunately, both times he looks to the sidelines is the exact moment Freeman is trying to relay that VJax should be hot due to the blitz. The ball is hiked, Freeman expects VJax to look but doesn't.  Finally he throws the ball to a spot due to the pressure assuming VJax will recognize the play.  To all our displeasure, he did not.  We tackled like garbage, and the next thing you know they have the ball at the 50.  In the grand scheme, this doesn't appear nearly as big as an issue as raised concerning communication.  Albeit, one play, but one I feel much better about.  It aligns with Freemans comments that he must ensure the WRs get the information, but an issue I find easily corrected.

B.  The push on Coach Cox

Another situation that has got a significant amount of attention and rightfully so.  I was admittedly on the bandwagon that no way no how should a player push a coach.  I still believe that, but I have a new perspective after reviewing the tape.  The situation appears to stem from EJ Biggers whiffing on a tackle which gives up another 4-5 yards.  On the tackle EJ didn't seem to have much motivation to get up and chase. Cox seems to yell something at Biggers with the motion of get up after you miss the tackle.  I would guess the remark included something with negative context about Biggers wuss like approach to the tackle.  Biggers seems to take offense to it, and shouts something back at Cox.  This is where the camera pans to a close up on Sproles.  My belief is Cox didn't stop letting Biggers have it; he wasn't yelling at a ref like some have thought.  Therefore, as a Captain, Hayward came in to tell him to chill out on the harassment.  Cox brushes Hayward off, and the show of disrespect is reciprocated.  I will never agree with Hayward pushing the coach, but it does make more sense to me in that context.

The score was ugly, but now that I have seen it with a lot less emotion I feel much better.  The early part of the game, to include the two INTs really set us back.  However, the game was on pace to be 7-7, or 10-7 early which completely changes the game.  Now the fact we can't hold them towards the end of the first half, and failed to get on track in the second is still inexcusable.  But, I find myself looking at the Rams game with renewed hope and still lots of confidence in our coach.  Freeman again will be vital to our success, and it will be interesting to see how he responds.

Do you agree with my assessment of the two plays mentioned?  If not, please advise on the details you noticed.

Go Bucs,

: December 19, 2012, 05:11:06 PM BaghdadJoe54

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : December 19, 2012, 05:15:33 PM

"Therefore, as a Captain, Hayward came in to tell him to chill out on the harassment."

Is that the Captain's job, to tell the coach how hard he can be on the other players?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 19, 2012, 05:17:05 PM

Coach Hayward don't play that isht!

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#3 : December 19, 2012, 05:21:53 PM

"Therefore, as a Captain, Hayward came in to tell him to chill out on the harassment."

Is that the Captain's job, to tell the coach how hard he can be on the other players?

I would say as a Captain you are a key interface between the players and coaches.

Just my personal view though, not saying it is a fact.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 19, 2012, 05:22:11 PM

Nice but I disagree with the V-Jax interception. IMO Freeman expected Jackson to do a quick inside hook route. When Freeman released it, the ball would have been in Jackson's numbers right when he turned around. Instead Jackson never turned around and the ball got intercepted. I didn't watch the game rewind but that's what I was thinking when I first saw it. Unless Freeman changed the play at the line that can be considered miscommunication. If not, Freeman can't be blamed for that one.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 19, 2012, 05:22:42 PM

Good point.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#6 : December 19, 2012, 05:29:14 PM

Nice but I disagree with the V-Jax interception. IMO Freeman expected Jackson to do a quick inside hook route. When Freeman released it, the ball would have been in Jackson's numbers right when he turned around. Instead Jackson never turned around and the ball got intercepted. I didn't watch the game rewind but that's what I was thinking when I first saw it. Unless Freeman changed the play at the line that can be considered miscommunication. If not, Freeman can't be blamed for that one.

Wish I knew how to include pictures.  Freeman appears to change the play at the line from listening and watching it.  Ringo Ringo Ringo, and a lot of pointing goes on.

Just short of the twenty yard line Jackson is wide open, and Freeman is prepared to throw the ball...  but he never looks back.

The ball is intercepted at the ten.

VJax had an opportunity to get the first or worst case we have a 4th and short.  FG, or attempt to go for it had they been on the same page.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 19, 2012, 05:51:03 PM

Exactly.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#8 : December 19, 2012, 05:59:54 PM

Exactly.

Don't know I have ever been on a team where the Captains didn't help with the communication to players. 

One of the values of veteran leadership is they are supposed to be the guys helping get on to people - no? Setting the example?

At some point a coach harassing a player turns more negative than positive.  I clearly think Hayward overstepped his boundary by pushing Coach Cox, but to suggest he was wrong for trying to temper what appeared to be an on-field shouting match is where I disagree.  The player has to get ready for the next series, not to mention it was an important series after the TO.  I think Coach Cox should have saved the debate for when the offense is on the field, or for behind closed doors.  However, the "heat of the moment" considering the defense desperately needed a stop is why I think Coach was so fired up.

I am just suprised it took this long for someone to lose it on EJ Biggers.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 19, 2012, 06:20:40 PM

Exactly.

Don't know I have ever been on a team where the Captains didn't help with the communication to players. 

One of the values of veteran leadership is they are supposed to be the guys helping get on to people - no? Setting the example?

At some point a coach harassing a player turns more negative than positive.  I clearly think Hayward overstepped his boundary by pushing Coach Cox, but to suggest he was wrong for trying to temper what appeared to be an on-field shouting match is where I disagree.  The player has to get ready for the next series, not to mention it was an important series after the TO.  I think Coach Cox should have saved the debate for when the offense is on the field, or for behind closed doors.  However, the "heat of the moment" considering the defense desperately needed a stop is why I think Coach was so fired up.

I am just suprised it took this long for someone to lose it on EJ Biggers.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Hayward shouldn't attempt to step in and try to cool down a shouting match, but the way he went about it, he didn't handle himself like a captain when Cox showed that he didn't want Hayward's hands put on him.

I personally would have liked to had seen Hayward get fined by the team.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#10 : December 20, 2012, 12:15:46 AM

I agree. Hopefully they handed out some discipline.

Could we see Watson make a start this week?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 20, 2012, 12:59:00 AM

I agree. Hopefully they handed out some discipline.

Could we see Watson make a start this week?

Might as well...throw Goode out there as well.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deep Dive: VJax INT and Coach Push « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools