Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Draft gives Buccaneers insurance policy options for Josh Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 20, 2012, 12:57:21 AM

2013 Draft gives Buccaneers insurance policy options for Josh Freeman

By Sander Philipse on Dec 19, 12:37

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Is Josh Freeman still the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback of the future?

We debated whether Freeman was still the quarterback of the future last week. The outcome was unclear, and Sunday's game certainly didn't help make matters clearer. But we can safely say that that game didn't help him. I will say this, though: it appears that the Bucs themselves are as committed to Freeman as ever, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised with a contract extension this offseason.

Yet, even if Freeman is given an extension, one thing is abundantly clear: Freeman remains a work in progress. He is certainly an above average quarterback and one capable of absolutely astonishing throws and great games. He can, at times, carry a team to victory, as he did late in the game against the Carolina Panthers this season. And yet he's also capable of putting up some clunkers. The inconsistency is maddening, and means no one can know what, exactly, they're going to get out of Freeman from week to week or even from play to play. Will good Freeman or bad Freeman stand up? In that sense, he's like Michael Vick. Or, for older Bucs fans, Vinny Testaverde.

This still makes him better than many other NFL quarterbacks, who often only have two modes: mediocre QB or bad QB. In the case of the Arizona quarterbacks, that would be bad QB or soul-destroyingly-awful QB. So awful, not even Larry Fitzgerald can help them. Be happy you're not a Jets or Cardinals fan. Unless you are, in which case: my condolences.

In any case, this inconsistency will likely remain a problem throughout Freeman's career. There's one thing the Bucs can do as an insurance policy against his inconsistencies. They can draft a backup quarterback in hopes of finding a diamond-in-the-rough, a tradeable commodity who, in the best case, could turn out to be a viable Freeman-replacement in the long run. Or, in the worst case, a bust -- but at the cost of just a mid-round draft pick. Certainly valuable, but missing on a third- or fourth-round pick is not the end of the world.

The 2013 NFL draft may be perfect for such a gamble. The draft may lack a clear number one quarterback, it is absolutely filled with very talented quarterbacks who aren't good enough to become starters immediately, but may develop into starters in the long run. Behind Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, players like NC State's Mike Glennon, Florida State's E.J. Manuel, Syracuse's Ryan Nassib and Tennessee's Tyler Bray (if he declares) are raw, unpolished quarterbacks with many, many flaws. But they're also talented, and could develop into quality starters in the long run. In the mean time, the Bucs can continue to monitor Freeman's

Of course, there are some downsides, there. Any time you draft a quarterback, you create an instant quarterback controversy. And, let's be honest, how often has a non-first-rounder really developed into a long-term answer at quarterback? One struggles to find examples beyond Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Tony Romo over a 15-year span. They have, however, developed into players you can trade fairly often. Matt Cassel and Matt Schaub are prime examples, but even Kevin Kolb and Charlie Whitehurst somehow netted a decent sum in trade.

Do I expect this to happen? Not really. The Bucs appear married to Freeman, and they won't wish to undercut him the way the New York Jets undercut Mark Sanchez. But having someone at hand just in case? Well, that may not be a terrible idea.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/12/19/3784540/2012-draft-buccaneers-quarterbacks-josh-freeman

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#1 : December 20, 2012, 02:25:29 AM

Really hope they don't give Freeman an extension this year. Let him earn it. Draft a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round for some competition. We have had four years with Freeman.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 20, 2012, 07:03:46 AM

There is no QB in this draft that is better than Freeman.... just ask the posters on this board, they'll tell you!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 20, 2012, 07:09:40 AM

Next year is what it's all about.

We will see if JF will be the franchise or not, and the possibility of drafting a good QB the offseason after (when the QB stock should be better than this offseason).

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 20, 2012, 07:24:46 AM

Looking at these QB. I highly doubt we take one of them with our first two selections. The QBs who could go in the first two rounds are Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Murray, Glennon, and possibly Nassib. That leaves three guys that could be taken in the 3rd. Zach Dysert, EJ Manuel, and Landry Jones.

I'm not sure who I would want out of those three, and I'm not sure any of them could push/challenge Freeman right away.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 20, 2012, 07:59:13 AM

Nassib makes for an intriguing prospect.  I think he has NFL skillset, and he could be drafted and groomed far enough down in the draft to not warrant a big stinkfest...

watson

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 20, 2012, 09:40:24 AM

Nassib makes for an intriguing prospect.  I think he has NFL skillset, and he could be drafted and groomed far enough down in the draft to not warrant a big stinkfest...
watched him In the game with USC and thought he looked like a pretty good prospect......but with all the DB needs, wouldn't want to invest more than a 4 in him...and that would probably not be high enough.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 20, 2012, 09:49:41 AM

The draft after this next one would be better to draft a QB imo.

Crossing fingers for either a REALLY good or bad season next year. I want to know whether or not JF is going to be the Bucs QB of the future, and IF not, why not suck bad enough to draft Johnny football? That guy is going to be solid for some lucky team.

I'm hoping freeman does well instead, like I believe he will, but if not, its always good to have a backup plan.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

MagicMike

Starter

#8 : December 20, 2012, 10:38:54 AM

From a buy-low standpoint, this offseason would be the optimum time to extend a long-term contract to Freeman.  He is still yound (only 24), and will probably cost less than he would if he continued to play like he did in the middle of the season when he showed flashes of brilliance (as well as flashes of ignorance).  Bottom line is that he would be a smart gamble now - as long as the coaches think they can iron out the flaws in his game. 

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 20, 2012, 11:11:36 AM

I think you maybe draft a guy in rounds 4-7, but you let JF play out next year and see what he can do. Year 2 in the system, contract year, healthy oline(hopefully). If he continues to be so wildly inconsistent, you let him walk. Then you have your round 4-7 guy as a backup and you draft a QB round 1.

But I'm really hoping Freeman can finally put it all together, but I just don't know anymore.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#10 : December 20, 2012, 12:01:55 PM

The draft after this next one would be better to draft a QB imo.

Crossing fingers for either a REALLY good or bad season next year. I want to know whether or not JF is going to be the Bucs QB of the future, and IF not, why not suck bad enough to draft Johnny football? That guy is going to be solid for some lucky team.

I'm hoping freeman does well instead, like I believe he will, but if not, its always good to have a backup plan.

The problem with Freeman is that he's always somewhere in the middle. He's teased us for 4 years.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 20, 2012, 12:03:03 PM

Ryan Nassib 6-2 225 Sr Syracuse

Athletic Ability/Mobility

He flashes above average mobility.  He shows the ability to consistently roll and scramble to the right and extends plays. Nassib can pick up small chunks of yardage with his feet. He Can side step pressure and keep eyes downfield. He can make initial defender miss while running with ball.

Pocket Presence

He is not afraid to step up in the pocket. Willing to hang in the pocket and take a hit.  Occasionally exits the pocket too quickly due to pressure instead of stepping up and delivering the ball.

Mechanics

He does not have a traditional over the top delivery.  At times this leaves his passes susceptible to being batted down at the line of scrimmage by Defensive lineman. At times gets happy feet in the pocket.  Nassib also holds the ball low and at times does not transfer his weight consistently.  He has a habit of falling off to the left on some throws especially when under pressure.  This often results in inaccurate passes high or wide. Has a quick release. At times he seems to double clutch the ball while he is going through his progressions.

Decision Making

He is a very sound and consistent decision maker.  He does a good job of knowing when to throw the ball away. He consistently does not force the issue into tight coverage. He is decisive. Recognizes one on one or favorable match-ups and can exploit the defense.  Goes through progressions and is willing to stretch the field but also recognizes when he can take what the defense is giving him.

Arm Strength

He shows slightly above average arm strength on short and intermediate routes. He can zip the ball into spots when needed. His deep balls have a lot of air under them and tend to hang up in the air quite a bit.

Accuracy/Touch

Flashes tremendous touch on out , crossing, and post routes. He shows the ability to get the ball in between the lb. and Safety down the middle. He can also place the ball into tight windows on short and intermediate routes. At times his accuracy under pressure is a bit erratic. His deep ball tends to hang up in the air and is not very accurate.

Production

A 3 year starter for the Orange who threw for over 9,000 yards in his career. He increased his completion percentage each year that he was at Syracuse.

Bottom Line

Ryan Nassib was a highly productive player at Syracuse and improved each year.  Has adequate height and bulk for an NFL starter.  He has slightly above avg arm strength.  His mobility allows him to roll out and escape pressure and make plays down-field.  He makes good decisions and has very good touch and accuracy on short and intermediate routes. His deep ball tends to hang up in the air a bit and causes receivers to stop routes and adjust to the ball. At times his mechanics are bit lacking.  Overall He has the potential to be an NFL starter and could be drafted in the middle part of the draft. 4 th round. After a very productive year his stock seems to be on the rise.

Per Zak Dyserts scouting report

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 20, 2012, 12:05:58 PM

I say wait til the 6th round and draft the best QB available, someone like Tom Brady.  ;)     Get used to it. Freeman isn't going anywhere, and nobody is taking his job.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 20, 2012, 12:29:38 PM

I think the Bucs would be wise to pick a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. 2nd is too close to starter expectations. 3rd or 4th isn't expected to start or really challenge Free,  but is high enough to put him on notice to start performing better on a more consistent basis or he could be outta here.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 20, 2012, 12:31:05 PM

I say wait til the 6th round and draft the best QB available, someone like Tom Brady.  ;)     Get used to it. Freeman isn't going anywhere, and nobody is taking his job.

I dont think he is going anywhere either. His time is wearing thin though. I think we need to see him win some big games soon or fans will lose their patience. They already are.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Draft gives Buccaneers insurance policy options for Josh Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools