Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sam Bradford offers interesting take on Bucs secondary « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 21, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

DECEMBER 20, 2012

Sam Bradford offers interesting take on Bucs secondary

We’ve written at length about the problems the Bucs have faced in their secondary, particularly with their cornerbacks.

They have given up 66 pass completions of 20 yards or more, second most in the NFL.

But why? A part of the equation is the level of responsibility the Bucs place on their cornerbacks. That’s exacerbated by the fact that those corners, right now, are E.J. Biggers, Leonard Johnson, Danny Gorrer and LeQuan Lewis – none of whom are considered elite. But the problem isn’t new, existing even when Aqib Talib and Eric Wright were in the starting lineup.

In talking this week to Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, who faces the Bucs this week, we got a sense of what opposing teams see when they break down the Bucs secondary. A defining characteristic: The amount of pressure the Bucs bring from their defensive backs, often the safeties. The trickle-down effect is cover men being left without help.

“They’re not afraid to blitz those guys,” Bradford said. “I think they probably bring more secondary pressure than any team we’ve seen all year. So, that’s something we’re going to have to be very aware of this week.”

The result?

“I don’t know exactly what their assignments are in all their calls, but with all the pressures they run, there are times when those guys are left one on one quite a bit on the outside,” Bradford added.

This has been something the Bucs have done repeatedly all season long. And the puzzling thing is that the pressures haven’t yielded consistent results. When was the last time you saw a Bucs safety of cornerback take out a quarterback with a blitz?

The questionable tactics have, it seems, undermined a lot of the good things the Bucs have done on defense. The defensive line has played much better than last season, particularly Gerald McCoy (who hasn’t missed a game) and Michael Bennett.

And yet, the Bucs, statistically, have NFL’s 30th-ranked defense.

So, when you watch the Bucs play on Sunday, keep this in mind when and if you see the defense giving up huge chunks in the passing game, remember what you read here and consider its role in those plays.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 11:29:52 am on December 20, 2012

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : December 21, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »

Bucs have been awful at the blitz for many seasons now.  We have all harped on it.  Ruud was the WORST at it.

Bucs need to draft a SSLB to replace Quincy Black/Hayward, so that is something to keep an eye on.  Bet you that they go after a pass rushing linebacker via the draft to fill that need.

As much as S likes to blitz, you canbe sure he loads up on pass rushing talent.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 21, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »

Bucs have been awful at the blitz for many seasons now.  We have all harped on it.  Ruud was the WORST at it.

Bucs need to draft a SSLB to replace Quincy Black/Hayward, so that is something to keep an eye on.  Bet you that they go after a pass rushing linebacker via the draft to fill that need.

As much as S likes to blitz, you canbe sure he loads up on pass rushing talent.

It will be interesting to see what the Bucs do if  Manti Teo is sitting there at #10 or wherever they select.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #3 : December 21, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »

Manti would be a DREAM COME TRUE!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #4 : December 21, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

Manti would be a DREAM COME TRUE!

That would be a dream - kick Foster to SAM Te'o manning the MIKE and David at Will the Bucs linebacking corps would be set for the foreseeable future. We as fans can dream can't we?

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 21, 2012, 01:11:02 AM »

It could very well happen, and if they pick up a good CB ahead of time in free agency, go for it.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 21, 2012, 01:31:01 AM »

Can anyone provide a non-sarcastic explanation for the lack of adjustment?

I understand that there is a vision for this defense, but we are clearly not excelling with this combination of playcalls and players. I'm not sure that leaving even the best cover corners on an "island" with mediocre (being kind) pass rush works in today's nfl.

Nfl coaches aren't dumb. What are we missing?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 21, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »

I understand that there is a vision for this defense, but we are clearly not excelling with this combination of playcalls and players. I'm not sure that leaving even the best cover corners on an "island" with mediocre (being kind) pass rush works in today's nfl.

Just guessing....their thinking might be they are not getting anywhere near the pass rush they want, so they bring the safety's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 21, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »

Part of the problem is the Bucs do not get consistent pressure with a four man rush. So they blitz and play man behind it. Problem is if they don't blitz they very rarely get pressure. Its more of a damn if you do damn if you don't type of situation the defense faces weekly. When the play zone because the lack of pressure even rookies have all day back there to wait for a man to settle in a zone or break loose.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 21, 2012, 01:38:47 AM »

We have a college coach?

Signed

Starter

« #10 : December 21, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »

Part of the problem is the Bucs do not get consistent pressure with a four man rush. So they blitz and play man behind it. Problem is if they don't blitz they very rarely get pressure. Its more of a damn if you do damn if you don't type of situation the defense faces weekly. When the play zone because the lack of pressure even rookies have all day back there to wait for a man to settle in a zone or break loose.

(serious question)   If we don't get adequate pressure using 4-3 setup, why do they call that 2/3-man blitz I've seen occasionally? Is there some kind of football advantage to calling that over normal 4-3?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 21, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »

I'd love Teo but we need a lot of help at CB and I mean a lot of help. Ideally our #1 corner this year, biggers, plays 4th CB with Gaitor in the slot next year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 21, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »

We have a college coach?

give it a rest man, my lord .......

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

« #13 : December 21, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »

I don't necessarily think the primary focus of the secondary blitz package is pressure.

I notice three things:
A. It often looks like a read first blitz where they key on the backfield looking for screen or swing passes.
B. It helps with run support if they try a draw or run
C. It allows the LBs to play the short passing game with the assumption the blitz will for force a dump off

I think the results have worked.  Lead the league in run defense and TFLs I believe.

The problem, IMHO, is the CBs can't cover there limited responsibilities such as EJ Biggers getting owned by Joe Morgan, Leonard not tackling D Alexander, etc.  The result is big plays or consistent yardage.  However, I don't think you change too much because if they start running the ball this defense looks like last years where we were horrendous at all phases.  It looked like that last Sunday.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 21, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »

We have a college coach?

give it a rest man, my lord .......
You ripped on Raheem Morris for 3 straight years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sam Bradford offers interesting take on Bucs secondary « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools